This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gene Testing Dq 1,1

MommyL

MommyL Rookie

Here is the short version of my history:

- IBS for 10+ years

- Psoriasis

- some nero issues on and off with tingling/numbness, hotness in face, anxiety that comes.

- Extreme fatigue

-brother has confirmed celiac.

- All blood work negative.

-Enterolab positive for IgA

- Genetic testing through Lab Corp shows,

DQ 2 (DQA1 501/505, DQB1 02xx) Negative

DQ 8 (DQA1 03xx, DQB1 302) Negative

DQA1 0102

DQB1 0602

With the help of Nora I am DQ 1, 1 (Thanks Nora)

I tried a gluten-free diet for 8 weeks and seen no difference with my IBS and introduced it back just recently to see how I would feel. However I am scared that with the neurological gene that it is bad to eat any gluten? What do you think? Do I need to completely avoid all gluten my whole life?

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

Here is the short version of my history:

- IBS for 10+ years

- Psoriasis

- some nero issues on and off with tingling/numbness, hotness in face, anxiety that comes.

- Extreme fatigue

-brother has confirmed celiac.

- All blood work negative.

-Enterolab positive for IgA

- Genetic testing through Lab Corp shows,

DQ 2 (DQA1 501/505, DQB1 02xx) Negative

DQ 8 (DQA1 03xx, DQB1 302) Negative

DQA1 0102

DQB1 0602

With the help of Nora I am DQ 1, 1 (Thanks Nora)

I tried a gluten-free diet for 8 weeks and seen no difference with my IBS and introduced it back just recently to see how I would feel. However I am scared that with the neurological gene that it is bad to eat any gluten? What do you think? Do I need to completely avoid all gluten my whole life?

i WOULD. gluten is no good for u- especially if you've got a DQ gene- they're all Gluten Sensitivity Genes... even if u dont get a Celiac Diagnosis. your brother has Celiac tho- so i would be suspicious- at the very least- u know with a DQ gene- you should avoid it.

BUT if a Gluten Free diet hasnt helped your IBS YET- stick with it, AND also look at other possible culprits- esp. Dairy, and crosscontaminated grains, and sugary Gluten Free Baked Goods..... some also have problems with Soy, or nightshades, or legumes & beans- i personally have to avoid many of these to not have gut symptoms.

they're are A LOT of smart people on here who can guide u even more!

dont give up on gluten free- seriously you're headed in the right direction

Skylark Collaborator

Don't sweat the genetic tests. Nobody except perhaps someone with double DQ2.5 needs to go off gluten for life based on only HLA-DQ results. The much more convincing thing for you is that people with a first-degree relative with celiac have a 1 in 20 chance of having it themselves.

Eight weeks is not long enough on the diet for anything but gut problems and I'm sorry to hear that it hasn't helped your IBS. Are you being really strict and did you also drop dairy?

What I'd suggest if you think the neuro symptoms might be gluten related based on your enterolab anti-gliadin IgA is to stick to the diet for at least six months. Since you have neuro symptoms and anxiety, you should have your B12 levels tested and look into supplementing with sublingual methyl-B12 (methylcobalamin). Eight weeks is not long enough for nerve damage to heal and you also have to be exceedingly strict with the diet if you suspect neuro. If you go six months strict and the diet is still doing nothing, you're probably not gluten intolerant.

MommyL Rookie

Thank you for your responses.

Skylark,

I was off dairy and soy (strict) for 6 months while I was nursing my daughter as she had MSPI and then again 2 years later for another 6 months while I was nursing my son. I have to say that while I was on the strict dairy/soy free diet that I didn't see an improvement as well. I have also tried cutting out fructose as my GI doctor did a testing showing that I had fructose malabsorption.

It is all so frustrating with the IBS, I have tried several different probotics, digestive enzymes, supplements, have had two colonscopies, endoscopy, food IgG intolerance and food IgE allergy testing, yeast overgrowth..etc you name the test I have had it the last 10 years.

Sometimes I wish I could just find something other than you just have "IBS", live with it.

Skylark Collaborator

With the fructose malapsorption, did you cut out fructans as well as fructose? My mom has that and she cannot eat things like onions, asparagus, brown rice, or whole wheat. Onions are particularly hard for her to digest. She would not be well if she cut out only fructose and left the fructans in her diet.

MommyL Rookie

With the fructose malapsorption, did you cut out fructans as well as fructose? My mom has that and she cannot eat things like onions, asparagus, brown rice, or whole wheat. Onions are particularly hard for her to digest. She would not be well if she cut out only fructose and left the fructans in her diet.

I have not tried to cut out fructans, but I think that would be a great idea as I was recently doing some reading on that. Thanks for the insight! I appreciate your thoughts.

Archived