4 replies to this topic

#1 Monklady123

Monklady123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:36 AM

So, having suddenly become pretty good at reading labels :rolleyes: I've noticed something. On my peanut butter -- which says on the front label in big letters "PEANUT BUTTER" -- it says (after the list of ingredients, which is "peanuts, water, salt") "contains: peanuts." Um... you think? Peanut butter contains peanuts? who would have thought? :lol: -- Or, my milk -- which says on the front label in big letters "FAT-FREE MILK" -- sure enough, the ingredients say "contains: milk". lol..

Okay, so is this a law that companies have to include allergens? Or are the peanut butter and milk companies just being really over-zealous due to our litigious society?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,632 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:14 AM

I think it's part of the allergen listing law. A bit of overkill. But people think white bread doesn't contain wheat.... ;)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

In the US, the top eight allergens must be clearly disclosed. They can be in the ingredients list, or in a "Contains" statement following the list. Either one meets the legal requirement, but many companies do both.

The eight allergens under the federal Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) are: wheat, soy, milk, peanuts, eggs, tree nuts, fish, and crustacean shellfish.

FALCPA requires that in the case of tree nuts, the specific type of nut must be declared (e.g., almonds, pecans, or walnuts). The species must be declared for fish (e.g., bass, flounder, or cod) and Crustacean shellfish (crab, lobster, or shrimp).
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

Thanks Peter. Very interesting. Still seems a bit funny to me though, to tell people that something called "peanut butter" actually contains "peanuts". Or that "milk" contains "milk". :lol:

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

Thanks Peter. Very interesting. Still seems a bit funny to me though, to tell people that something called "peanut butter" actually contains "peanuts". Or that "milk" contains "milk". :lol:

I like "Caution: Hot beverages are hot!" on coffee cups. I know about the McDonald's suit and all, but it does seem like we have abandoned common sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: