10 replies to this topic

#1 brendab

brendab

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

My family LOVES almond milk, especially Silk brand so the million dollar question is, "is it gluten free"? OH please!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

I am wondering that as well.
I am pretty sure that it will probably be gluten-free but it might cause problems for those with soy problems as silk is known for its soy milk and it might be produced on the same lines.

It would be nice to have another brand available rather than just Blue Diamond.
I wonder if this one will have carageenan in it as well.
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#3 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

I drink it all the time and I'm soy-dairy-gluten free!

#4 brendab

brendab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

I drink it all the time and I'm soy-dairy-gluten free!

Oh this is good! My kids love it and it just works for us :)

#5 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

I made the chocolate pudding from their recipe page and it was really really good! I liked the taste of it but I didn't like the consistency, just too thick for me.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#6 brendab

brendab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:59 AM

I made the chocolate pudding from their recipe page and it was really really good! I liked the taste of it but I didn't like the consistency, just too thick for me.

Oh what an awesome idea! Thanks!

#7 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Oh what an awesome idea! Thanks!

Here is the link to their recipe page. Like I said before I didn't care for the consistency of the almond milk for drinking or cereal (I prefer to make my own for this), but it was great for baking and cooking.

http://www.silkpurealmond.com/#a=3;r=1

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#8 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:13 AM

Try adding more almond milk to it and it will be thinner.

#9 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

Try adding more almond milk to it and it will be thinner.

I guess this does sound confusing. I liked the pudding made with it. What I didn't like was to drink the silk almond milk or like it on cereal because of its thickness. It was great for the pudding.

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#10 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

I guess this does sound confusing. I liked the pudding made with it. What I didn't like was to drink the silk almond milk or like it on cereal because of its thickness. It was great for the pudding.

I like the thickness for drinking and especially on cereal!

#11 Steve Moody

Steve Moody

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

I had been using Vanilla flavored Silk brand soy milk with my gluten-free granola in the morning (email me if anyone wants the recipe). The cinnamon does a great job of masking the taste of the soy milk, which I cannot get used to. I tried the Silk brand vanilla flavored Almond milk and found that I don't merely tolerate the taste, I actually LIKE it.

Would love to go back to real milk, but one of my celiac experts thinks that I need to finish healing before I try milk again. I suspect, however that my casein problem is going to stay with me.

My family LOVES almond milk, especially Silk brand so the million dollar question is, "is it gluten free"? OH please!!!!!!!!!

----
Diagnostic Gluten Intolerant Feb 2010.
Celiac blood test was negative. Small intestine biopsy was negative. Gene test positive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: