This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Just Broke Out In Hives

Aphreal

Aphreal Contributor

This is not the first time. I don't very often but it's usually on my chest, right between my breasts (sorry). I had two gluten-free waffles and about 3 cups of watermelon for dinner. I started itching about an hour later and now it's driving me insane with welps and itching.

Earlier I had 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon and a gluten-free fruit n nut bar. I am sick with a head cold... took b12, C and Excedrin sinus...

Anyone have an idea?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hives being an allergy reaction I would wonder if it was either the watermelon or the waffles. Allergies usually, but not always, show up pretty quickly. You might want to try each individual item by itself over the next few days and see if the hives crop up again.

A gluten-free antihistamine might help along with a cold compress.

MissyJoy Rookie

Yes, my idea is to stop eating those gluten free things! (Waffles and bars) Get back to basics - unprocessed meats (bacon is processed), unprocessed veggies and unprocessed fruits. Your body needs to heal and it's telling you that something isn't right.

Then, once your body stops hurting, add in one new thing - like something gluten free. See how your body reacts for a day or so, and then add something else.

You have too much going on there in your food intake today!

Aphreal Contributor

Its just strange, I eat these two items. In abundance! Last time I broke out in hives was before I went gluten-free.

They are going down but of course I clawed my chest all up and now it stings. grrr.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Its just strange, I eat these two items. In abundance! Last time I broke out in hives was before I went gluten-free.

They are going down but of course I clawed my chest all up and now it stings. grrr.

What brand of waffles were they? Were they made by a company that also makes gluten containing baked goods? If so perhaps they were CC'd. If you show other glutened symptoms that may be the case. Allergies can crop up at any time also. It is not unheard of for folks to suddenly develop allergies to something they consume or come into contact with a lot. That happens with antibiotics like penniclyn (SP)for example, and is how I developed an allergy to that drug. When I was growing up doctors gave it out for every little sniffle. By the time I was in my 20's I had developed a severe allergy to it, as had many of my generation.

Another thought, have you started using any new soap, detergent or lotion etc? The skin on the chest is tender and perhaps the reaction was from something new that is topical?

psawyer Proficient

Hives can also be an environmental allergic reaction. That is, they can be caused by something you touched or breathed. When this happens to me, they usually appear on my arms, but as you have discovered, they can happen anywhere on the body.

Aphreal Contributor

well I did start using a new toothpaste to help treat extremely sensitive teeth. I won't worry about it this time but will keep in mind when I eat again.

It was VAN'S waffles. Being sick, that and fruit were the only things that sounded good to me. I don't like being sick :(

This particular bacon does not bother me. I LOVE bacon but it took 3 different ones to find one that didnt upset my tummy. It was Boarshead. I was craving something salty.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aphreal Contributor

hmmmm I DID make the kids hotdogs just before that. With buns....

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Check your lotions and other products even if you have not started using something new. I had hives about a month after going gluten free. They turned out to be from some lotion that had wheat germ oil in it. I had been using this lotion for years with no problems, but all of a sudden it was like my body got super sensitive to even topical wheat after being gluten free. :(

MissyJoy Rookie

hmmmm I DID make the kids hotdogs just before that. With buns....

Hmmmm. I wonder if you're onto something here. I have learned that when I make my guys grilled cheese sandwiches, I wear plastic gloves because I break out in a rash on my hands if I don't.

Aphreal Contributor

Update: I concluded it was nerves. I had a dental appt today. My blood pressure was so high, they wouldn't work on me. I had to get a script for valium and reschedule so I bet it was nerves.

Also I am now making sure I wash my hands really well after I make the kids food. I do use gloves for a lot of things, wouldn't be anything big to use them to touch breads. Better safe than sorry huh.

kayo Explorer

Sounds like you have it solved but I wanted to add that the Van waffles have soy in them and so many of us react to soy. Which is too bad because I loved those waffles before learning I couldn't tolerate soy.

Archived