9 replies to this topic

#1 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

Having just gotten glutened badly by CC in a new bottle of McCormicks plain dried minced onions I've decided they can't be trusted. Yes, it had to be the onions, I tried them three times to be sure and each time the reaction was obviously a gluten one. I've never had that happen with McCormicks before, it's possible I've just gotten more sensitive, but whatever the reason I couldn't buy another bottle of McCormicks now for anything. I'm also not thrilled with the "Product of China" stamp on the back.

We have two grocery stores up here and nothing else closer than an hours drive. The grocery stores carry precious few brands with McCormick dominating the spice shelves.

So what brand does everyone consistently use? I'm trying to avoid shopping on line or a two hour round trip just to buy spices. I'm on a VERY fixed budget these days so cost is everything. I'd go without before I'd splurge on spices. I'm hoping I get lucky and hit on a brand one of the stores carries.
"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

Have you tried buying fresh and freezing? I get onions cut some up fine and some in chunks and then freeze them on sheets and when frozen I dump them into a bag. That way they don't lump together. I think this would work with many spices.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 precious831

precious831

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

Having just gotten glutened badly by CC in a new bottle of McCormicks plain dried minced onions I've decided they can't be trusted. Yes, it had to be the onions, I tried them three times to be sure and each time the reaction was obviously a gluten one. I've never had that happen with McCormicks before, it's possible I've just gotten more sensitive, but whatever the reason I couldn't buy another bottle of McCormicks now for anything. I'm also not thrilled with the "Product of China" stamp on the back.

We have two grocery stores up here and nothing else closer than an hours drive. The grocery stores carry precious few brands with McCormick dominating the spice shelves.

So what brand does everyone consistently use? I'm trying to avoid shopping on line or a two hour round trip just to buy spices. I'm on a VERY fixed budget these days so cost is everything. I'd go without before I'd splurge on spices. I'm hoping I get lucky and hit on a brand one of the stores carries.

I'm also looking for reliable spices. I hope someone has some good ideas!
Grain-free,dairy-free, soy-free (celiac, possible colitis now as well).
Extremely allergic to shellfish, Aspirin & Ibuprofen

#4 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

I've considered just drying my own minced onions, but I'm not about to try it in the summer and I'm not willing to buy a dehydrator.

But if their onions can be CC'd than so can anything else, so it's not just onions I need. I grown some of my own herbs, but some things I just can't grown here and or produce the way spice companies can.

Have you tried buying fresh and freezing? I get onions cut some up fine and some in chunks and then freeze them on sheets and when frozen I dump them into a bag. That way they don't lump together. I think this would work with many spices.

#5 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

I have a dehydrator and would love to use it but can't figure it out. like what temp at what degree for how many hours....... Anyone know how to use one?

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

I've considered just drying my own minced onions, but I'm not about to try it in the summer and I'm not willing to buy a dehydrator.

But if their onions can be CC'd than so can anything else, so it's not just onions I need. I grown some of my own herbs, but some things I just can't grown here and or produce the way spice companies can.

I don't dry them first I just cut and freeze. With herbs I buy them fresh at the store and then wash, dry on paper towels and then freeze.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

I have a dehydrator and would love to use it but can't figure it out. like what temp at what degree for how many hours....... Anyone know how to use one?

Hopefully these links will help

http://www.ehow.com/...dehydrator.html

http://www.bukisa.co...food-dehydrator

http://rawfoodswitch...hydrate-snacks/

#8 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

Thanks! Will check them out.

#9 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

I am just getting ready to make a salmon pate that uses McCormick onions. Is it a consensus of opinion that McCormick onions aren't safe to use?
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac
Lactose intolerant discovered August 2010
Hypothyroid Dx 2009. Sleep Apnea 2005

#10 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:04 PM

I don't think that's the consensus. McCormick has traditionally been very good about labeling. I've used them for years without issue. I may have just gotten a bad batch, they may have forgotten to wash the machinery off between gluten-free and Non gluten-free runs or not used enough water pressue, a batch of onions may have been contaminated in their country of origin (China) or I may just have become super sensitive and what got me wouldn't have bothered most people.

I can't stomach buying McCormick again, once bitten twice shy, but the best judge of what you can and cannot eat is your own stomach.

I am just getting ready to make a salmon pate that uses McCormick onions. Is it a consensus of opinion that McCormick onions aren't safe to use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: