9 replies to this topic

#1 lucia

lucia

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

I realized today that my neuropathic pain formerly in my hands, forearms, lower legs, and feet is gone! At least for now, fingers crossed it won't come back. It seriously feels like a miracle!!! But, more accurately, I think it's a result of:

1) Being gluten-free now for 5 months

2) Eliminating corn (my symptoms were reduced immediately after I did this)

3) Having regular acupuncture (my symptoms were much reduced after sessions)

I'm so happy to share this with all of you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:46 PM

That's great news! I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better.

#3 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:57 AM

Lucia:

I am SOOOOOOO happy to hear this!!!
I know that is plagued you for so long - I am sure it's a combo of all of those elements.

Yay!!!
~Allison
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:14 AM

Great News!!!! It's amazing how much pain can go away after we get diagnosed.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

WOW! I suffer from bad neuropathic pain as well, although i am not officially diagnosed yet (have biopsy on aug 31), so sill eating gluten
you gave me HOPE that i may see some relief. May I ask how you knew corn was a problem? And I am definitely going to looking into accupuncture as well!
This is great news!
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

WOW! I suffer from bad neuropathic pain as well, although i am not officially diagnosed yet (have biopsy on aug 31), so sill eating gluten
you gave me HOPE that i may see some relief. May I ask how you knew corn was a problem? And I am definitely going to looking into accupuncture as well!
This is great news!

I found acupuncture to be helpful also. It is definately worth a try. Also try some sublingual B12, that helped me even before I was at last diagnosed and gltuen free.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#7 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

[quote name='ravenwoodglass' date='20 August 2010 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1282323801' post='633328']
I found acupuncture to be helpful also. It is definately worth a try. Also try some sublingual B12, that helped me even before I was at last diagnosed and gltuen free.
[/quot
i have been taking 1000 mg subl. MB12 for months but it doesn't seem to help...maybe I need more? I do get a B12 shot once a month that seems to help my burning tongue somewhat...
any and all advice for neuro pain is greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#8 India

India

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

Lucia, I'm really happy to hear this! Here's hoping for further improvements :-)

Self diagnosed but confirmed by biopsy
Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

Also have RSI, widespread myofascial pain and hypermobility problems

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

i have been taking 1000 mg subl. MB12 for months but it doesn't seem to help...maybe I need more? I do get a B12 shot once a month that seems to help my burning tongue somewhat...
any and all advice for neuro pain is greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!

With the B12 shots and the sublinguals I wouldn't increase the dose without asking your doctor first. Hopefully once the biopsy is done and you can start the diet you will finally get some relief.

#10 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

This is great news!

It is great news! I'm so glad to share it.

I found out that corn was effecting my neuropathy when I cut it out (after it started giving me GI symptoms). I never in a million years would have dropped it otherwise. But it was a happy surprise when, after not eating corn for 3 days, I realized that my neuropathy had receeded.

Acupuncture was amazing for the neuropathy. Before I discovered that corn was a trigger, I would go in with so much pain that it hurt to walk even a step. When I'd come out, the pain would be gone. At first, the pain relief only lasted 5 - 10 minutes, but every week I was experiencing less pain and I soon had longer periods without pain. Highly recommended!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: