This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn ....?

tweeks2010

tweeks2010 Apprentice

Hi, just wondering if and celiacs have had problems with corn, corn flour or any other corn products. Had it today...have a gut ache....but it could have been something else.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have found stuff that looked like wheat in my corn. Maybe that was your problem.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Hi, just wondering if and celiacs have had problems with corn, corn flour or any other corn products. Had it today...have a gut ache....but it could have been something else.

Corn is safe for people with celiac. Having said that you could have an additional intolerance to corn or as the other poster said it could be cross contaminated. I use mission corn products (torillas and tortilla chips) and have no problems with them. Frito Lay will make me sick....but thats my personal experience, I think the frito's are just too greasy for me.

mushroom Proficient

I identified my intolerance to corn long before I identified gluten as a problem. Yes, lots of celiacs have problems with corn too, just as they do with soy also.

srall Contributor

So far it seems like I can eat a little corn off the cob, but anything like a corn tortilla or corn bread will set off an attack like a gluten attack. I've even tried gluten free. I think it's either cc or I do have an issue with corn. Actually the day I made myself corn bread was one of the sickest days I've had since going gluten free. My husband had to come home early from work to take care of my daughter for me. It seems never ending doesn't it?

jerseyangel Proficient

I can do corn, but only once a week or so. If I eat it too often I will react to it.

my3monkees Rookie

My dd 13, can have corn in moderation if it is in something. Corn bread, chips etc..., she just can't over do it But whole kernel, she can't touch. No corn on the cob, or even mixed veggies with corn she has to pick it out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

Corn products are often processed on the same lines as wheat products. If you give the company a call, they should be able to tell you if the corn you had issues with was run on the same line, or near another line, that processes wheat. :)

Although I'm in the boat of those who react to corn as well as gluten, so yeah, it can happen. sigh.

Lynayah Enthusiast

I do best if I eat organic corn only, and in moderation.

• 3 weeks later...
gfquestion Newbie

I have recently discovered that I have a reaction to corn as well. I found out that there is guar gum in corn tortillas, so that might be part of it, but even if I buy corn flour there is a reaction, so I think it's more. Do you have problems with any other starches?

Skylark Collaborator

Corn is a major allergen and there are plenty of people who are sensitive or intolerant to it. Some people find they have more problems with GMO corn. You might try organic corn chips and see if you still react.

Archived