1 reply to this topic

#1 discodiver

discodiver

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

The last week has been nothing short of hellish for me. As I get older I become more sensitive to the gluten stuff and even the smallest amount causes me missery. Yesterday I purchased some Gluten free waffles from a local grocery store. About 5pm yesterday I decided I wanted a few and out of habit pulled out the family toaster....what a huge mistake. I never thought that simple cross contamination would put me through that much pain and suffering.

Today I purchased my very own toaster, skillet, cutting board, spatula and a big plastic tub to keep them in. What I've noticed is once I've been "glutened" my symptoms last about 24 hours. Today my head is beginning to clear, depression is beginning to lift and my anxiety is calming down. Body aches and pains are starting to lessen and life is once again worth living.

I've been going through this for severl years and am actually contemplating some kind of local business/health food store/cook book to try and help others suffering from this terrible affliction. How many years have we all needlessly suffered from this disease because modern medicine wont/cant/refusese to help us just because big pharma has yet to develop a pill for us. The first drug company to get a "Gluten" pill to market will make zillions of dollars.

Im actually excited now that I have my own toaster because I have 3 loafes of Glutino Gluten Free Raisin bread in the freezer. 3 weeks ago I put two slices in the "family toaster" and about an hour later reacted harshly. I just thoght I was reacting to something in the bread..when actually it was cross contamination.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

I think you should go for it! I have found more help and useful products/books from people in the community - the longer I've had Celiac Disease, the more I feel like we have to help each other if we want to get through this. The medical community has some wonderful people who are informed about celiac disease, but they seem to be in the minority.

All we've got is each other, sometimes. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: