This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Suggestions For Toddler Party

precious831

precious831 Contributor

My DD is turning 3 and we want a party for her. Since she can't have rice, I'm having a hard time coming up with her cake. I'm thinking of just making cupcakes. Anyway what about dishes, anyone have any ideas? We're gluten and dairy-free and soy-free. There's gonna be about 10 people or so coming.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Explore the world of Jello. There are alot of fun retro gelatin creations to be made! Coconut milk can be substituted for milk in many things.

Meringue can be used many ways too. I once saw meringue ghosts that were piped onto a baking sheet and baked, Halloween, I know, but maybe you could come up with some birthday/princess appropriate shape

Meringue can be piped into tart shell shapes and filled with berries, etc.

nicolebeth Apprentice

Try Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. We made the "Gluten Freedom" cupcakes when we had kids over with dairy, gluten, and egg allergies. They do call for a 1/2 cup of rice flour, but you could substitute in more almond and quinoa flour (almond would probably be more tasty). I read on another site that millet flour is not a good choice (but that's probably too close to rice anyway) .

Anyway, I made these according to the recipe...and they came out pretty well. None of the non-allergic kids noticed a difference.

Chakra2 Contributor

Ice cream popped into my mind. Maybe because it's 100 degrees where I live! My 2.5 yr old loves the Tempt hemp milk vanilla flavor. It's gluten, dairy, and soy free. At summer camp, we used to have an ice cream night with toppings like "dirt" (crushed Oreos) and worms (gummies). Maybe there are gluten-free/df/sf versions of those? Happy birthday!

Roda Rising Star

Here is a cake I make all the time. No flour at all as it is made out of beans. The only thing you would need to find a substitute for is the ricotta/cream cheese. I have had tofuti better than cream cheese and used it in this and it tasted fine. The recipe is originally for sugar free, but I substitue sugar all the time and it is fine. My recent changes have been using coconut oil for a different taste, and increasing the cocoa powder to 1/4 cup. I have made cupcakes out of it and they don't come out of the liners very well. I have had sucess spraying the cake pans and dusting them with cocoa powder. All I did was run a knife around the edge, inverted it onto a cooling rack and hit the bottom and it popped out. I made two round cakes and stacked them and made pecan carmel frosting for a german chocolate twist.

As for food for kids I would keep it simple with finger type foods that you know she likes.

Roda Rising Star

Just another thought. Can you have tortilla chips? We make chicken finger strips out of crumbed tortilla chips. Take a bag of tortilla chips and make crumbs. Add in a package or more to taste of taco seasoning (or make your own if you can't have the mixes). Dip the cut chicken into egg and then coat with the crumb mixture. Place on baking sheet and drizzle melted butter or safe non butter spread over and bake in a 350 deg. oven until done. They taste great with honey drizzled over or with salsa.

missceliac2010 Apprentice

My DD is turning 3 and we want a party for her. Since she can't have rice, I'm having a hard time coming up with her cake. I'm thinking of just making cupcakes. Anyway what about dishes, anyone have any ideas? We're gluten and dairy-free and soy-free. There's gonna be about 10 people or so coming.

Thanks.

I made my kids a giant gluten-free cookie cake last week...to celebrate "back to school!" I am sure their are rice-free gluten-free "flour" mixes. It came out totally yummy, and they scarfed it down! I followed the Bob's recipe but instead of making cookies, I pressed it into a round pizza cookie sheet. I made it gluten-free, but not dairy free, because he wanted the chocolate chips and homemade icing! The chips have dairy, but I managed to use soy milk so Mommy could at least enjoy a slice with a few Lactaid!

Kids seem to love cookie cakes, and they are cheap and delicious! You could even make 2!

Good luck, and happy b day to your daughter!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Enjoy life chocolate chips are casein free.

precious831 Contributor

Thanks for all the lovely ideas. One note though, I forgot to mention she's allergic to coconut, I know weird huh? I could use almond and hemp milk for her. I'm thinking to have separate food for her except the cake/cupcake. She'll throw a fit if she doesn't eat the same cupcakes as everyone else will.

Oh and ice cream, yes. I just checked Living Harvest hemp ice cream and it has sunflower oil, she's allergic to that too. :( If I can't find any I'll have to try and make some for her and just have regular ice cream for the rest of the folks.

We can have tortillas, she can have corn stuff, I give it to her occasionally.

I was thinking of jello too. A while back I saw some that was vegan.

Cookies sound great too, I was gonna make gluten-free Snickerdoodles and have that as desert too.

mommida Enthusiast

We have done mexican, build your own tacos or tostadas. Some times I prefer to have mexican style chicken or beef on lettuce. If you put out cheese or sour cream for condiments, you can put them on another table/ space. (You would want to keep those items chilled so it would not seem odd.)

You could just keep it really simple finger food appetizers. Chicken fingers can be made with potato chips too. Dips like Hummus.

We have deep fried turkey for summer cook outs and gatherings.

Popscicles or ices.

Just remember little kids are just too excited at birthday parties to really eat.

Rizz Newbie

betty crocker has just started releasing gluten-free products.

scarlett77 Apprentice

Taquitos would be a great finger food option. I'm sure you can find an appropriate recipe if you google it. I typically use chicken (pre-cooked shredded from whole rotisserie chicken or roast a chicken in crock pot ahead of time) sauted in olive oil with garlic, onions, with some salt, cumin, and cilantro. Soften corn tortillas in boiling chicken stock (about 2-5 seconds) spoon in filling and roll. Place seem side down on an oiled baking sheet. Brush with oil and bake 425 for about 12-15 minutes. You can add cheese in filling and/or sprinkle on top if desired. I'm sure you could black beans or pinto beans instead if you wanted instead of chicken.

You could also do grilled chicken or beef skewers. Do you have a bread replacement for her? If so you could make sandwiches and use cookie cutters to make fun shapes. There's also the normal things like chips and/or veggies and dip...for a twist you could make your own chips and dips instead of buying them. Homemade french fries are always a favorite with my boys. How about home made baked meatballs with a marinara dipping sauce?

I've made these cupcakes with great success:

Open Original Shared Link

Did the frosting a bit different though because my audience isn't a mocha loving audience.

precious831 Contributor

betty crocker has just started releasing gluten-free products.

Betty Crocker has rice flour in their mixes. We don't do rice.

precious831 Contributor

Taquitos would be a great finger food option. I'm sure you can find an appropriate recipe if you google it. I typically use chicken (pre-cooked shredded from whole rotisserie chicken or roast a chicken in crock pot ahead of time) sauted in olive oil with garlic, onions, with some salt, cumin, and cilantro. Soften corn tortillas in boiling chicken stock (about 2-5 seconds) spoon in filling and roll. Place seem side down on an oiled baking sheet. Brush with oil and bake 425 for about 12-15 minutes. You can add cheese in filling and/or sprinkle on top if desired. I'm sure you could black beans or pinto beans instead if you wanted instead of chicken.

You could also do grilled chicken or beef skewers. Do you have a bread replacement for her? If so you could make sandwiches and use cookie cutters to make fun shapes. There's also the normal things like chips and/or veggies and dip...for a twist you could make your own chips and dips instead of buying them. Homemade french fries are always a favorite with my boys. How about home made baked meatballs with a marinara dipping sauce?

I've made these cupcakes with great success:

Open Original Shared Link

Did the frosting a bit different though because my audience isn't a mocha loving audience.

Thanks, I made those cupcakes too! They were great.

• 3 weeks later...
Beth03456 Newbie

You could also do brownies. I haven't tried these yet, but here is a Whole Foods recipe for brownies that has no flour in them - they use black beans instead. Open Original Shared Link

If you wanted, you could add dairy free orange sherbert for brownie sundaes. Would look especially good for an October birthday.

My non-Celiac DD used to not like cake so I did doughnuts once for her birthday instead (I think she was 3). The kids don't care what they eat as long as its sweet.

I did cupcakes for my son's gluten-free birthday this year, along with popcorn and cotton candy from a machine we rented. The kids thought it was great.

buffettbride Enthusiast

There's a few flourless recipes out there. I recall one with bananas and cocoa. Tastes super yummy.

Archived