This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free...and Stressed Out

srall

srall Contributor

I realize this is along the lines of the summer rant post the other day, but here goes.

I miss so much that at the end of a very stressful week with my daughter (when does school start again?") I can't just inform my husband that we are going out to dinner because I was too stressed out to cook. Now I have to convince him to watch a crabby child while I make a non convenient gluten free dinner.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I think a lot of us can sympathize with that. I cope by keeping a couple of things on hand that I can throw together real quick. I'll give you 2 of my favs and hopefully others will add to it.

Dinty Moore Beef Stew I add a handful of a green veggie, either peas or green beans when I heat it up and a gluten-free roll or bread and butter. Dinner done.

I keep a package of Kinnickinnick pizza shells in the freezer, a package of Hormel Pepperoni, pizza sauce and some cheese on hand at all times. The pizza shells come 4 to a package for about 9 bucks and are a good size for a personal pan pizza. If the rest of the family isn't gluten free you could fix one or two of those for the nongluten eaters and let the rest of the family 'order in'.

I know it's not the same as going to grab something but at least it isn't hours at the stove.

kareng Grand Master

That is a big one for me! If you are the only gluten-free one, hub could take kids out to eat.

I also, try to have something that takes almost no effort. Sandwiches, grill them if you want. My hub is happy to have a pb&j. Keep some canned chili or leftover chili in the freezer. Defrost in micro and put over corn chips and cheese. Nachos! Scrambled eggs and frozen gluten-free waffles. Breakfast for dinner. Dessert dinner - ice cream and fruit with a little chocolate sauce or chocolate chips. Make a bunch of pancakes and freeze then drag them out and drag yourself to the microwave to defrost them. Canned soup (progresso has gluten-free ones) and already cut up carrot sticks or apples. Jarred pasta sauce and pasta or left over rice with leftover meat and top with mozzarella. Melt in oven. Cook bacon and put some in freezer. These are not good for everyday, but once a week or so it's ok.

sa1937 Community Regular

A little more effort than dragging yourself to the microwave but this is pretty fast and easy...Hillshire Farms Kielbasa, Ore-Ida Tater Tots and a veggie you can nuke.

Another thing I like...Bear Creek Creamy Potato Soup Mix:

Open Original Shared Link

I add a couple of medium peeled and finely diced red potatoes, a package of Birds Eye Steamfresh mixed veggies (I nuke them first) and a lb. of breakfast sausage (browned, crumbled and drained well). Finely minced ham could be used instead of the sausage or skip the meat altogether. I buy the Bear Creek soup mix at Wal-Mart and it's handy to keep on hand. To make it directly from the package and do nothing more, you only add 8 cups of water and cook for approx. 15 min. I usually end up browning the sausage while the soup is cooking and add it at the last min. Unfortunately I haven't had it for ages since I'm avoiding dairy.

cassP Contributor

for the 1st time this week- i made Mrs. Leepers gluten-free Beef stroganoff... YUM.. i also added peas & broccoli & sour cream :P

pretty easy

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't know how I forgot this one since when classes were taking up so much time this summer I fixed it 2 or 3 times a week for dinner. The Jimmy Dean Breakfast Skillets. They are in the freezer section in bags. They have peppers, potatoes, onions and either sausage or bacon. You fry those up and add a scrambled egg to the pan when the taters are done. Very quick and definately not 'health food' but tasty. One bag lasts me for 5 or 6 meals so not real pricey either.

sb2178 Enthusiast

Baked sweet potato (microwave) with black beans (can), salsa (jar), and cheese.

Corn tortillas with frozen spinach and cheese. (could add beans and salsa).

I miss ice cream cones. I miss eating at my friends houses without cross examining them about the menu or bringing my own food.

I do like the fact that I'm starting to like random foods that I've really really disliked, like bananas and tomatoes. I like that I'm eating massive amounts of produce without having to think about it, because I can eat it and it's exciting in a weird way. Yea! I can eat grapes!

(I think that will slow down once it's cooler and I'm more willing to cook grains, but hey, good for now.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

mmmmm those jimmy dean skillets sound good :P add some grilled tomatoes & mushrooms- and it could be like a early morning English Fry :P

sa1937 Community Regular

I've didn't even know about the Jimmy Dean Breakfast Skillets...I love having these emergency-type meals on hand, as well as having breakfast for dinner. Just added it to my shopping list. smile.gif After going gluten free, I spend very little time in the freezer section except to pick up a bag of frozen veggies now and then (mostly I've been buying fresh fruits and veggies).

Skylark Collaborator

I miss eating out at interesting hole-in-the wall ethnic restaurants. I'm so glad a lot of restaurants have started to become celiac aware. Happiness was finding an Ethiopian place that does pure teff injera bread twice a week if you call in advance.

I also miss my homemade whole wheat sourdough bread. I haven't yet found a gluten-free recipe that's close.

Archived