This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Store-Bought Bread?

Superfudge

Superfudge Rookie

I tried the search function for this but couldn't find what I was looking for, so sorry if this should be somewhere else, or if you've answered it a thousand times already! I am wondering if there are any store-bought breads you would recommend. The few I've tried are DREADFUL to say the least, so I've just given up on eating bread. But I miss sandwiches!

I've seen some bread recipes here that look good, but until I have a chance to stock up on all those ingredients, I'd love any recommendations you may have. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

Udi's . . . hands down . . . I'm not gluten free, my daughter is, and I think this is the best store bought gluten-free bread out there. It's soft enough to make a sandwich (everything else you have to toast first IMO), makes a great grilled cheese, and the crust is edible (everything else, I would cut off the crust and use for bread crumbs because the crusts were so tough). I've (We've) only used the "white" bread and not their "whole grain". We've tried the bagels and pizza crusts and like those as well.

Ginsou Explorer

Udi's . . . hands down . . . I'm not gluten free, my daughter is, and I think this is the best store bought gluten-free bread out there. It's soft enough to make a sandwich (everything else you have to toast first IMO), makes a great grilled cheese, and the crust is edible (everything else, I would cut off the crust and use for bread crumbs because the crusts were so tough). I've (We've) only used the "white" bread and not their "whole grain". We've tried the bagels and pizza crusts and like those as well.

I agree on Udi's!! I'm presently just outside the Denver area and have loaded the freezer with as much Udi's that will fit, because we are leaving tomorrow traveling toward the East coast.It can be ordered online, but there is a shipping charge which can be avoided if you are able to find it being sold at a nearby natural food store. They just started selling it in my home state of AZ.Many whole foods stores are also selling it.

Funny, I tried the Udi's pizza crust and it was terrible. It was about 1/8" thick and unpalatable.I have a pizza crust made from scratch that I like and will continue to use it.

Roda Rising Star

I've tried Udi's and Katz. Udi's has a white and multigrain and the white is not as dry. Katz is very moist and more dense and has a sweet taste I didn't care for. So, I like Udi's out of the bag for making sandwiches or grilled cheese. Not wanting to waste the Katz, I made french toast and it wad good.

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter likes Ener-G Rice Starch or Corn Loaf. I've not seen those in any stores. I order from them. She needs something that is egg and dairy free so that limits what she can eat. If we have to buy something in the grocery store, we will get something else from Ener-G. Either the Rice, Tapioca or Seattle Brown. Whatever they have. But those are not her favorites.

larry mac Enthusiast

I agree that Udi's is the best. All others I've tried are basically inedible IMO. Having said that, I don't think it's as good as it was the first time I had it. Don't know if that is a result of them ramping up production to satisfy demand or what? It seems drier and less soft, with a tougher crust.

As someone mentioned, it does make the best grilled cheese. Although the inside does absorb the cheese more that real bread, the outside crunch is wonderfull. First time I had a (relatively) satisfying grilled cheese in three years.

About the Udi's pizza crust. I've found I get far better results if I bake it first. Then I add all the toppings. Bake that. Eat all the way around the perimeter to about 2 inches in. Then bake it some more. I love the Glutinos pizza. And find the same problem. The crust doesn't get done enough in the middle. So I always eat the outside first and then re-bake the middle part. Sometimes twice.

Gluten-free baked goods often require extraordinary measures to get edible results. It's a whole new ballgame baby!

best regards, lm

scarlett77 Apprentice

Like everyone else has said Udi's is the best. Whole Foods carries it and so does some Raley's/Nob Hills grocery stores. You can buy online, but man the shipping is a killer. If no one around you carries it try talking to the manager of your local store and see if they would be willing to bring it in/order for you.

About the pizza crust...if you like thin crispy crust then the pizza crust is fine. I have found it actually better when you grill it. If you want thicker breadier crust then definitely make your own. I like using Pamela's bread mix to make pizza.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

About the Udi's pizza crust. I've found I get far better results if I bake it first. Then I add all the toppings. Bake that. Eat all the way around the perimeter to about 2 inches in. Then bake it some more. I love the Glutinos pizza. And find the same problem. The crust doesn't get done enough in the middle. So I always eat the outside first and then re-bake the middle part. Sometimes twice.

lm, Have you tried using one of those pizza pans with the perferated holes in it? Makes all the difference in the world in getting the crust crispy (while only baking once :P ). Something like this:

Open Original Shared Link

I found a cheapo one at Target.

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I agree with Janet. Use the pizza pan with the holes in it. I also read a book on regular pizza making, that encouraged the use of a nice hot oven for a crispier crust. I heat the oven to 475 and leave the crust in the freezer until the oven heats up.(from the same book)

I'm not sure about the freezer trick but, I don't mess with perfection!

Nor-TX Enthusiast

Between the Katz and Udi bread, I prefer the Katz, but I have to buy it online. I save it for special times. Other times I use the Udi brand. The bagels are wonderful. The pizza crust terrible. If you look at any ads for the Udi pizza crusts they look totally different than they are when you use them.

I have tried the oven and the toaster oven - I prefer the toaster oven. I bake them first, and flip them over and bake some more. Then put on the toppings and broil them. They still are not crispy enough but overall they are ok.

We need a company to come out with a real pizza crust!

scarlett77 Apprentice

Between the Katz and Udi bread, I prefer the Katz, but I have to buy it online. I save it for special times. Other times I use the Udi brand. The bagels are wonderful. The pizza crust terrible. If you look at any ads for the Udi pizza crusts they look totally different than they are when you use them.

I have tried the oven and the toaster oven - I prefer the toaster oven. I bake them first, and flip them over and bake some more. Then put on the toppings and broil them. They still are not crispy enough but overall they are ok.

We need a company to come out with a real pizza crust!

I think this explains why so many of you don't like the pizza crust! I don't use a pizza pan for any frozen pizza. I put it directly on the rack. ALWAYS preheat your oven. Comes out crispy every time (a little too crispy for me since i prefer breadier thick crust pizza). I only use a pizza pan for fresh dough.

Superfudge Rookie

OH. MY. GOD. You guys are so awesome. I just got home from the store and ate a slice of the Udi's whole grain bread, plain and straight up. And, it tastes like... BREAD! Real bread, not even stale, real bread! Immediately made turkey and cream cheese sandwich with it, called parents to express my glee while eating it (just as rude as that sounds, chomp chomp!). Promptly ate another half sandwich, ahh. Bread craving over.

THANK YOU!!!

Chattyaholic Rookie

Another vote for Udi's. I bought some kind of tapioca bread at the health food store when I first went gluten-free and it was horrible. I made a sandwich and could not even choke down half of it. Threw the whole loaf away. :( Then I bought a loaf of gluten-free bread at Meijer, I think it was made by a company called Scharr's, if I remember right. It's okay, but the slices are so teeny-tiny. I only used it for toast. Had a hard time finding Udi's, finally found it at Meijer. I let a couple slices thaw and made a bologna/mustard sandwich (something I'd been craving for months!) and it was delicious!!

I made a grilled cheese the next day, but didn't care for how the bread soaked up the melted cheese. :( The next time I make a grilled cheese sandwich with the bread I think I will grill the insides of the bread first, then put the cheese on and grill the outsides of the bread and see if it makes a difference.

Next time I go to Meijer I'm going to look for the Udi bagels, I'd love to try those too.

sweeeeet Rookie

out of curiosity, where is the best place to find gluten free breads or foods? Stop & Shop has nothing for gluten free, really, which is too bad. I could go up to Trader Joes but it's a bit of a drive.

EcoSafeMom Newbie

I haven't seen any gluten-free bread at Trader Joes. They do have gluten-free granola that's pretty good. I think it's from Bakery on Main it taste the same as theirs.

miles Rookie

The bread I got from TJ

TrickyMama Apprentice

The Trader Joes on the west coast only have Food For Life bread and it feels like a brick. I know. I checked yesterday. Their gluten-free list online sYs they have more, including gluten-free bagels on the east coast. So there you go. Apparently we west coasters don't like bagels??? Grrr...oh well, they do have the best olive hummus around and so I guess I will work on forgiveness for the little bagel issue.

Ginsou Explorer

I agree that Udi's is the best. All others I've tried are basically inedible IMO. Having said that, I don't think it's as good as it was the first time I had it. Don't know if that is a result of them ramping up production to satisfy demand or what? It seems drier and less soft, with a tougher crust.

I agree with you 100%...I thought perhaps I was the only one who noticed the "change" in Udi's bread. I started buying it 2 years ago in the Denver area, and the past year, since they have gone nationwide, it is not as soft and some loaves I have purchased seem a bit stale, even tho the bread was purchased frozen and had a 6 month frozen shelf life date on it. The bread has a 5 day "on the counter" shelf life, yet I have seen it being sold in a supermarket in an unfrozen state with a 1 month shelf life date on it. Something definitely has changed in the formula, and although I still buy it, I find myself still trying bread recipes.

Neal77 Newbie

When I was at Whole Foods they had Udi's bread out on the shelf with the other breads.

MelindaLee Contributor

I tried the search function for this but couldn't find what I was looking for, so sorry if this should be somewhere else, or if you've answered it a thousand times already! I am wondering if there are any store-bought breads you would recommend. The few I've tried are DREADFUL to say the least, so I've just given up on eating bread. But I miss sandwiches!

I've seen some bread recipes here that look good, but until I have a chance to stock up on all those ingredients, I'd love any recommendations you may have. Thank you!

I was just on the Udi's website yesterday and they have a $1 off coupon! It is the best I have found. I'm bugging my local store to carry more of their products! :D

Archived