This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Annoying Doctor

tennisman

tennisman Contributor

I have been having stomach pain my stomach doctor said it's not connected to being Ceilac. So I went back to my stomach doctor today and he was on holiday . What happened next was probably the worst stomach doctor appointment I ever had . Basically he said some stupid harsh comments and I got so annoyed. I think I was lucky to leave the hospital without getting in serious trouble lol.

The doctor said the pain was in my mind , than he said I had irritable bowl as well as ceilac than he said I don't stick to the ceilac diet and it's my fault I had pain. I have stuck to my diet 150 % for 7 years so that hurt and angered me a lot. Than he basically said ceilac is not a serious condition and only a allergy to wheat :S I was getting so angry right now. I said actually ceilac is a intolerence to wheat etc. Than he said some more stupid comments I had sto listening by than . Than to top it off he said there was nothing wrong with me ceilac is just a waste of time and I have wasted 30 mins of his time , when he could have been seeing people with real illnesses. I have had back pain for 5 years and non ceilac stomach pain for 2 + years and he thought it was a joke it was hard to hear his comments and it hurt lol I was almost crying.

So I ended up wasting my time losing belief I well get better and knowing I will have another few months of stomach pain. But I still can't believe a gastro doctor said ceilac was not an illness and just a simple wheat allergy.

Anyway I left the hospital annoyed and drawing a little too much attention to myself lol I have finally calmed down but what a stupid experience lol anyone else seen doctor's like mine ? Also he said I was mentally weak lol I think sticking to ceilac diet 150 % for 7 years is not something someone mentally weak would achieve.

Sorry for the long post.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

While everything is still fresh in your mind take a deep breath and write down what happened at that appointment. Send a copy to the head of the hospital and send a copy to your regular doctor. Write this letter calmly even though right now I am sure you want to deck that doctor.

Your experience is not unusual. There are many clueless and hostile doctors out there. His attitude and rude remarks to you should not go unnoted.

As to the pain, have you tried eliminating any thing other than the gluten? I can only go by my own experience but for me soy is a great source of the continued stomach pain that I suffered for a couple of years after diagnosis. That could be it for you or it could be another intolerance or even something unrelated. I still find Pepto Bismal helps a lot with the pain I get from soy when I accidently get some. If you try eliminating other items and that doesn't help do see a different doctor. I got labeled by the doctors in my hometown during my 15 years of misdiagnosis and now see a doctor in a city a couple towns away. He listens and it is well worth the drive.

lucia Enthusiast

Wow! I'm so often blown away by the arrogance and ignorance of the medical community. I was told by a GI doctor who has a university-affiliated hospital appointment that the numbness & tingling in my hands & feet could not be related to my stomach issues. Turned out that when I typed "neuropathic pain" and "gastritis" together into a search engine, celiac came up. I didn't have to be a rocket scientist (or more accurately, an M.D.) to figure that out! That's how I self-diagnosed.

mushroom Proficient

If you are part of an HMO I would also send a copy to the HMO. I did that to a doctor who was inexcusably rude, arrogant and sarcastic, and boy did it produce results. All patients are entitled to be listened to and treated with dignity and respect, not walked all over by rude, arrogant @ss%*!#s who don't even know what they're on about. Most often these are the doctors who are intimidated by patients who do actually know something about the subject they are so ignorant of. I wrote my letter, then left it for a few days until I cooled down a little, then refined it into something more coherent and cutting. :ph34r:

precious831 Contributor

OMG I don't even know what to say to that! I'm sorry, I know doctors can be jerks sometimes. I tore my achilles tendon some years ago, the pain was so much! I had to have a cast, strong painkillers, and extensive physical therapy after. The doctor I saw told me I was acting like a baby when I complained of the pain. He was nice in the beginning but the more I went to see him, the more rude he got so I ditched him. Anyone who's torn or even injured their achilles tendon will tell you, the pain is unbelievable. The only thing I can liken it to is childbirth(yes I've gone thru that too LOL).

Good luck and you've gotten great advice from the other people here!

kayo Explorer

Report him. I can't believe he treated you that way. So sorry. Copy the department head, the supervising doctor, your primary care, etc.

tennisman Contributor

Hi ravenwoodglass , Thanks for the advice and the great idea. It's ridiculous a doctor can say things like what he said I thought doctor's were suppose to be supportive. I guess I have been lucky have a decent doctor for the last 7 years, I am worried if any newly diagnosed Coeliac's have to see the same doctor.

I have eliminated potatoes as I found from a food diary I was getting pain after eating potatoes. It has helped 1 pain but I still have anotyher pain in a different place it's very frustrating. I will have to try Pepto Bismal , I sometimes take Mebeverine which helps sometimes. My doctor today did refer me to a dietcian today ( that was the only positive thing about the appointment lol ) so I hope they can help with the intorences etc , sorry your intolerant to soy :( That's a great idea about seeing a different doctor further away who may help more.

Your doctor sounds annoying lucia , i'm glad google helped you, and I hope the tingling in your hands & feet is better :) It just amazes me how some people are doctor's when they don't know much. I really want to have a job advising new Coeliac disease patients etc but I doubt I would ever get a job like that as I would probably help people and not annoy them lol

That's cool mushroom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tennisman Contributor

Thanks precious831 , sorry to hear about your stupid doctor that was a really horrible comment he said to you :( Good job you ditched the doctor and I hope your achilles tendon is 100 % better :) , when I saw a back doctor for the 1st time he asked me a few questions and after I answered he said the pain was in my mind without even examining my back lol , my parents asked him can't you just check my back and after 1 second he was amazed how stiff my back was and said I was like a 90 year old and the pain was not in my mind and definitely in my back lol doctor's can be so strange. Thanks :) I will definitely be using everyones great advice.

Thanks kayo :) I will definitely report him to my other doctor's and everyone , I hope everyone in the hospital will try to avoid him , the way I was talking loudly saying bad things about him as I left should be a good start to get people avoiding him , I think I should go outside the hospital and place a sign saying Ceilac's avoid DR ... lol

Aphreal Contributor

O... m... Gorsh. I would So be contacting the medical board and BBB on him. That was UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

tennisman Contributor

Aphreal,

luvs2eat Collaborator

My daughter had a similar experience when she went back to the GI who diagnosed her celiac disease... she's since developed MANY food intolerances and pelvic pain and other symptoms. She'd been scouring the internet for answers and arrived at her doc's appt. w/ information she'd found. Her doctor said, "Oh great... you've been doing research. Why don't YOU tell ME what you have?"

She burst into tears and explained she's just desperate for ANY answers!! That was the last time she saw him and sent him a scathing letter about his "bedside manner" and compassion for his patients!

I hope you report your doctor!

tennisman Contributor

That is really bad luvs2eat :( It's ridiculous for the doctor to say something like that . I just don't get why some doctor's are so unhelpfull. I think doctor's should only get paid if they help the patient that might help get rid of the stupid doctor's lol.

Good job your daughter sent a letter and I hope her other symptoms have improved :)

'lynrn Apprentice

That is really bad luvs2eat :( It's ridiculous for the doctor to say something like that . I just don't get why some doctor's are so unhelpfull. I think doctor's should only get paid if they help the patient that might help get rid of the stupid doctor's lol.

Good job your daughter sent a letter and I hope her other symptoms have improved :)

For people that have a really bad experience with a doctor...or for that matter a VERY good experience...most areas have a web site, google it...it goes by different names depending on your country..Rate my MD.. You can also look up doctors there. You find some very interesting facts about them. Everything from bedside manners, to how efficient their office is. If you have a good one...praise them... a bad experience...warn others!!!

Archived