This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Think I Got Glutened By The Dog Food

Stacy hated pancake Sunday

Stacy hated pancake Sunday Newbie

No I didn't eat it. :lol: And I do wash my hands about 50+ times a day...I am so sick of washing my hands... :blink:

Recent additions to kitchen right before symptoms...

Blue Diamond Almond Nut-thins

Nutella

Smucker's Apricot fruit spread

Publix lightly salted rice cakes

all three of these are gluten free although Publix has their little disclaimer that they can't guarantee it....

and new dog food Solid Gold beef and barley dry(the dogs were gluten free before they refused to eat the last brand)....I scoop it out with a large plastic cup and usually wash my hands right after I add the canned food for mix-ins...today I scooped and the kids added the canned food...dogs and kids blocked the sink and I think I forgot to get around to washing my hands. I also boiled regular pasta for the kids..and I have noticed that I have little mini rages/anxiety attacks when cooking pasta that go away shortly after I leave the kitchen...it makes no sense to react from steam...I even hold my breath...but I still react 99% of the time...

Reactions are getting more severe as I go on...I really need to take the whole house gluten free...lots of resistance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I believe it. I was having problems with my cat eating so I bought all kinds of different canned foods. One contained eggs. I am allergic to eggs. Fed the cat the food with eggs. Cat licked me. I got a nasty rash. No more of that food!

summerteeth Enthusiast

I started home cooking for my dog for health reasons (too many pet food recalls for me) - she gets dried sweet potato "chips" from my dehydrator as training treats, raw meaty bones, and then I make big batches of meat that is on sale, and add a little pumpkin, some rice, and some fruits/veggies. If you keep it 60% meat, 20% fruits/veggies, and 20% grain you are a-okay (see dogster.com forum on home cooking - a lot of good info!). I actually save money (I fed her Blue Buffalo before the big switch - her previous owners fed her Beneful). She is only 20lbs so I really only have to buy about $10 worth of meat that is on sale and that is enough to freeze for three or so weeks.

But more than just saving money, I don't have to worry about melamine or about me getting glutened from feeding her.

Stacy hated pancake Sunday Newbie

I started home cooking for my dog for health reasons (too many pet food recalls for me) - she gets dried sweet potato "chips" from my dehydrator as training treats, raw meaty bones, and then I make big batches of meat that is on sale, and add a little pumpkin, some rice, and some fruits/veggies. If you keep it 60% meat, 20% fruits/veggies, and 20% grain you are a-okay (see dogster.com forum on home cooking - a lot of good info!). I actually save money (I fed her Blue Buffalo before the big switch - her previous owners fed her Beneful). She is only 20lbs so I really only have to buy about $10 worth of meat that is on sale and that is enough to freeze for three or so weeks.

But more than just saving money, I don't have to worry about melamine or about me getting glutened from feeding her.

We are considering a raw diet for them if we cannot find a dry food....they are 2 English Mastiffs.. so raw would be cheaper than cans and dry...especially the food that they need to eat(our petstore LOVES us). I have a neighbor that would go off the deep end if she saw me flinging whole raw chickens and animal legs into the backyard for meals(their size freaks her out enough) and I am not feeding raw inside..I have enough kitchen issues already....lol.

summerteeth Enthusiast

I actually cook the food (either in the oven or in the slow cooker). I usually cook a piece of fish, a few chicken breasts, and some cheaper steaks. Then I measure them out (she gets 2 oz of meat per meal to stay at her weight) and put them in ziplock baggies and freeze them. Then, I defrost two or three at a time in the refrigerator. It works really well for us - I just have to stay organized and search for deals (sometimes I go to one store that always has "reduced for quick sale" meats and use those for her, other times I buy ground beef or turkey).

I don't think I could take the plunge and do raw, though. I'm sure Lucy would love it, but I don't think I could handle that :blink:

It really does ease your mind, though, because I was terribly concerned about getting glutened from dog food when we first rescued her. Plus she actually seems to do better without all the fillers and crappy "meat products" found in dog foods. They do say dogs don't need gluten either, ya know ;)

BethM55 Enthusiast

We are considering a raw diet for them if we cannot find a dry food....they are 2 English Mastiffs.. so raw would be cheaper than cans and dry...especially the food that they need to eat(our petstore LOVES us). I have a neighbor that would go off the deep end if she saw me flinging whole raw chickens and animal legs into the backyard for meals(their size freaks her out enough) and I am not feeding raw inside..I have enough kitchen issues already....lol.

Have you looked at Honest Kitchen? They have some very nice products. My picky girl is unhappy when I try to switch her to their products, but it's a quality food. My Ellie refuses all raw meats, silly dog. She thinks she's a human.

cap6 Enthusiast

your posts on dog food have been so helpful! We have 5 dogs and I struggle with the gluten food ~ I understand the hand washing constantly! I don't mind the cooking for all of them it's the amounts to give them. How much per pound. The smallest dog is 12 lbs & the largest is 85 lbs. Also how much % meat, veggies etc. Whew! Celiac can be so over whelming at times.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BethM55 Enthusiast

your posts on dog food have been so helpful! We have 5 dogs and I struggle with the gluten food ~ I understand the hand washing constantly! I don't mind the cooking for all of them it's the amounts to give them. How much per pound. The smallest dog is 12 lbs & the largest is 85 lbs. Also how much % meat, veggies etc. Whew! Celiac can be so over whelming at times.

You might check out:

Open Original Shared Link

for information on home cooking for your dogs. I am a long time subscriber to Whole Dog Journal, which is a reliable reference for dog care.

Another good resource is:

Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Richard H. Pitcairn and Susan Hubble Pitcairn

hope some of this is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Travisevian Newbie
And I do wash my hands about 50+ times a day...I am so sick of washing my hands... :blink:

Then, stop!

I also boiled regular pasta for the kids..and I have noticed that I have little mini rages/anxiety attacks when cooking pasta that go away shortly after I leave the kitchen...

Well, who doesn't? :lol:

it makes no sense to react from steam...I even hold my breath...but I still react 99% of the time...

Well, I've often felt weakened down from hot showers but I don't think "gluten steam" is a problem. haha You hold your breath? No wonder you're feeling anxious, lack of oxygen. :)

I really need to take the whole house gluten free

That would be a rather extreme action and I get a feeling it wouldn't resolve your symptoms.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

To Travis regarding your reply's to Stacy

Then, stop!

Many of us are very sensitive to gluten in mixed households. If we don't wash our hands frequently, especially if we have young children who get gluten everywhere we get sick.

Well, who doesn't? :lol:

Celiac that attacks the brain can cause anxiety and depression. Yes everyone gets angry but the anger or depression that comes from a glutening is a very real part of some peoples reactions and is not funny.

Well, I've often felt weakened down from hot showers but I don't think "gluten steam" is a problem. haha You hold your breath? No wonder you're feeling anxious, lack of oxygen. :)

There are those of us who are sensitive and do react to airborne gluten.

That would be a rather extreme action and I get a feeling it wouldn't resolve your symptoms.

Some of us do need to make the household gluten free to heal fully. I would respectfully suggest you read a bit more on the board before you reply to someones posts so disrespectfully.

cap6 Enthusiast

I have appreciated the kind and often times gentle advice on this board. I think that especially when a newbie we wonder if everything in the world is out to gluten us. I worry about every crumb and fuss over packing my lunch (sealed in zip-locs) in the same picnic basket with my partner's wheat sandwich. Which may be over board but it's all such a learning experience. I feel safe grumbling here knowing that others can relate. (My dogs receive far fewer treats now cause i hate washing my hands alll day long too!). Thanks board members for all of your support!!!

Travisevian Newbie

Many of us are very sensitive to gluten in mixed households. If we don't wash our hands frequently, especially if we have young children who get gluten everywhere we get sick.

Young children who get gluten everywhere? How are they getting gluten everywhere unless they're playing with flour like dirt? I don't understand.

Celiac that attacks the brain can cause anxiety and depression. Yes everyone gets angry but the anger or depression that comes from a glutening is a very real part of some peoples reactions and is not funny.

I don't believe anyone claimed that such a thing is funny.

There are those of us who are sensitive and do react to airborne gluten.

Is airbourne gluten the same thing as steam?

Some of us do need to make the household gluten free to heal fully. I would respectfully suggest you read a bit more on the board before you reply to someones posts so disrespectfully.

I didn't reply to anyone disrespectfully but am about to. It's quite apparent that you don't understand nor appreciate my sense of humour but I didn't realize that gluten could destroy one's sense of humour. I suppose that's one symptom that I've not experienced yet! :)

kareng Grand Master

Travis, I got that you were being funny. If it was just you and me, we could make jokes and it would all be good. On this forum I find that a gentler approach is necessary. A lot of people on here don't feel good. You may be too young for these references but , I'm old so these I know: it's like George Carlin and his rant about the 7 things you can't say on Tv. My mom was horrified. Bob Newhart - hysterical. We are a bit less biting here, more Bob Newhart or Bill Cosby.

Also, you haven't been around small kids much I think. If they eat it, they will carry bits with them. Every cracker or sandwich will leave crumbs in their hair, fingers and clothes. Have found goldfish crackers in shoes when we took them off. Non gluten-free kids are gluten spreaders. :)

As for the steam thing, don't know. The science of steam makes it seem unlikely to get glutened but, who knows. Maybe something else is happening.

kareng Grand Master

I have appreciated the kind and often times gentle advice on this board. I think that especially when a newbie we wonder if everything in the world is out to gluten us. I worry about every crumb and fuss over packing my lunch (sealed in zip-locs) in the same picnic basket with my partner's wheat sandwich. Which may be over board but it's all such a learning experience. I feel safe grumbling here knowing that others can relate. (My dogs receive far fewer treats now cause i hate washing my hands alll day long too!). Thanks board members for all of your support!!!

Rice Chex make a good dog treat. Low calorie and fat. My dog, Cooper highly recommends them.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I didn't reply to anyone disrespectfully but am about to. It's quite apparent that you don't understand nor appreciate my sense of humour but I didn't realize that gluten could destroy one's sense of humour. I suppose that's one symptom that I've not experienced yet! :)

I actually have a great sense of humor but not when it is at the expense of someone who is suffering and asking honest questions.

Archived