9 replies to this topic

#1 discodiver

discodiver

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:17 AM

I read so many posts listing GI problems as the typical symptoms of gluten ingestion. Does/has anyone experienced anxiety/depression as a symptom? I am battling this with my very life at stake and it sure would help to hear from someone that has gone through this.

Extreme brain fog that wont go away, dizziness, anxiety, insomnia, pounding heart, sweating and confusion. I was admitted into the ER this past Friday for these symptoms, my wife thought I was having a heart attach, and all my blood work came back fine, xrays came back fine and the doctor said my EKG was perfect.

The problem is I have not ingested any gluten, that I am aware of, for the past week. I know things like this take time and am really hoping this gets better.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 India

India

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

Poor you... that sounds horrible. I'd recommend looking at other possible food intolerances. Soy seems to cause me horrible anxiety and I don't think I'm the only one. Good luck!

Self diagnosed but confirmed by biopsy
Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

Also have RSI, widespread myofascial pain and hypermobility problems

#3 rdunbar

rdunbar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

I've suffered from huge anxiety, depression, and panic attacks, along with many other problems associated with celiac, and have been on a really stict elimination diet of only whole, unprocessed foods for @ 5 months, and the anxiety and depression has gotten much much better, but i can't say it's gone altogether. when i do have an episode, it's way less intense, and lasts less time.
I can go far as to say that I never really felt emotionally at ease, or well-adjusted my entire life until I got off of the gluten and dairy. Be patient, because during the transitional time of getting off of gluten, you can experience 'withdrawl symptoms', so sometimes you will feel worse for a while,
It takes time, also make sure you get vitimins D3, sublingual B12, calcium/magnesium, and fish oil.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

For me the depression just lifted one day and now the only time it comes back is when I get glutened. I wish I could say the same for the anxiety. Many do have their anxiety get better so don't lose hope. You haven't been gluten free for very long and there is a lot to learn about cross contamination and deglutening your home and the like. Hopefully things will get better soon. One thing to keep in mind this early on is that some of us do go through a withdrawl when we stop gluten and that may be impacting you also. That will pass as long as you don't get reglutened. Be sure to check any meds or supplements you may be taking and make the changes in your home that need to be done like a dedicated toaster, new strainer for your gluten-free pasta, replacing scratched cookware etc.
I hope your feeling better soon.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

I second the B12. I imagine they tested this in the hospital, but even it is marginal, I'd sign up for a shot or two of it, if you have insurance, or a good sublingual. I used this stuff called Peroq, and I KNOW it worked because I got my B12 up to like 2X the "max" amount. (I was glad to know it was working...but obviously cut back from the 4 a day I was taking.) I was taking so much because I was having dizzy, disconnected, strange brain problems.

But I wanted to say that prior to going gluten-free, I had terrible anxiety attacks. Since getting off it, I literally have zero. Now that's me, and obviously everyone is different. I was also off soy and dairy, since I knew they bugged me.

Minerals are important for anxiety - I just don't know. Do make sure you're totally gluten-free - lotions and potions, foods, cross contamination, etc. And then look at your labs - how is your B12. By the way, if your B12 is on the cusp, you might request an MMA test. This is a better indication of anxiety.

Iron deficinecy is another one. I'm sure they tested for it, but you should get your records and look at your results. IF they are on the cusp, consider tryin Floradix, which is an iron supplement that is gluten-free and does not give constipation. Make sure on this one you're deficient though, as you don't want to get too much.

Good luck! Talk therapy helped me too -- it was definitely diet related, but the two years I spent in talk therapy helped me make sense of why my anxiety manifested the way it did, and taught me some coping skills.

#6 WheatChef

WheatChef

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:01 AM

Going gluten free can remove the cause of the anxiety and depression but it can't magically erase all the damage that's been done by years of negative thought patterns and irrational ideas. While you will physically get better and there will no longer be a constant switch into the "dark tones" the structure that you've built up over the sick years can take longer to break down, seeking outside help can help expedite this immensely.

Once you learn how to spot the negative thought cycles and break them the short periods of anxiety/depression as a result of an unexpected glutening become more of an annoyance than a heavy weight.
Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

#7 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

My anxiety was debilitating in the months before diagnosis. Yesterday I started having a major panic attack and sure enough- trace gluten. I had to go home, drink water and rest til it passed.

Anxiety went away 2 days after being gluten free for me. When I get it now i know I've been glutened.

Have you changed your shampoo, soaps, etc? That's what got me yesterday. Grabbed a bottle of leave in hair treatment having forgotten it contains wheat, Ihave a habit of running my hands through my hair so I did that and then ate finger foods and got myself.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#8 quincy

quincy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

I read so many posts listing GI problems as the typical symptoms of gluten ingestion. Does/has anyone experienced anxiety/depression as a symptom? I am battling this with my very life at stake and it sure would help to hear from someone that has gone through this.

Extreme brain fog that wont go away, dizziness, anxiety, insomnia, pounding heart, sweating and confusion. I was admitted into the ER this past Friday for these symptoms, my wife thought I was having a heart attach, and all my blood work came back fine, xrays came back fine and the doctor said my EKG was perfect.

The problem is I have not ingested any gluten, that I am aware of, for the past week. I know things like this take time and am really hoping this gets better.

wow, this sounds exactly like me a few months ago when I first found out. if you search my posts going back to late april early may you will see. pounding heart, dizziness all the time, bumping into walls, weight loss, extreme anxiety...... all I can say is it gets better, but I needed an antidepressant and small dose of klonapin for the first few months. doing much better now though not perfect. its only been 4 months but I feel so much better. the accidental glutening is the worst but you manage it as you go along...

hang in there man.... sent you a PM feel free to message me back

#9 nikelodeon79

nikelodeon79

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Extreme brain fog that wont go away, dizziness, anxiety, insomnia, pounding heart, sweating and confusion.

I have bipolar disorder, so obviously there's some preexisting issues with me. However, my bipolar symptoms got progressively worse along with my other gluten induced symptoms. Same goes for my ADHD symptoms. I found myself horribly unable to concentrate or remember the smallest details.. and I used to pride myself on my strong work ethic and attention to details. I'm slowly gaining this back after almost a month gluten free... but it takes time.

I think it definitely will take longer than a week off gluten to see true results. However, there is no real substitute for counseling. IMO, everyone could benefit from it. :)

#10 missceliac2010

missceliac2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:40 AM

I read so many posts listing GI problems as the typical symptoms of gluten ingestion. Does/has anyone experienced anxiety/depression as a symptom?

This rings so true for me! Getting glutened = raving lunatic mom! I get upset and irritable, volatile, curse a lot and am a generally horrible person to be around. I thought I was seriously depressed and/or bi-polor. Turns out, I just have Celiac Disease. I still take xanax as needed, because I have a lot of stress in my life regarding my son's failing heart. He is going in for open heart surgery #3 in 3-4 weeks, and I'm a mess. I honestly blame the xanax at this point for my inability to calm myself down. I have become reliant on it, and sometimes I just "don't want to feel emotions." It's my protection mechanism I suppose, and the meds help me be there for my son, and not off having an irrational panic attack somewhere.

It's gotten better though, I can say that for sure. But if I get glutened, I know that right along with bloating/D/vomiting, I will more than likely have a panic attack and or turn irrational and nasty towards loved ones. It's super fun! NOT! Thankfully I have a very understanding family and a boyfriend who is eligible to sainthood!

Good luck to you. You are not in this boat alone!
Heather C.
July, 2010: Diagnosed with Celiac Disease via elimination diet and strong Lactose Intolerance via blood work. My symptoms of glutening include 1. extreme abdominal distention, 2. severe abdominal pain, 3. gas, 4. mood swings/generally negative and unpleasant to be around!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: