Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Allergy...

6 posts in this topic

Does it bother anyone else when Celiac Disease is called an allergy? I was clicking through those articles posted by everyone in the previous topic and some of the headlines used "allergy". Is it an essential or important distinction to get accurate? You know, between an allergy and an intolerance? Am I being too picky? This is really my only pet peeve associated with Celiac.

Ads by Google:

It doesn't bother me when someone calls it that. I don't really care personally, and therefore, unless it's someone who really needs to know, I won't correct them. It does bother me in articles because I think if you're researching this for an article, you should get it right.

It bothers me a little to see it referred to as an allergy in an article, because I feel like the writers must not have done any real research on the subject at all. If you aren't going to bother to find out the facts on something, why write about it at all?

What really bothers me though, is when people think that I'm on the atkins diet (or some such BS) when I tell them I can't eat wheat. First of all, this low-carb everything drives me up a wall. Second, I'm 5'3" and weigh 115 lbs. Why on earth would I be on the freaking atkins diet anyway?

Thanks for the links. I emailed the writer about the correct definition of Celiac. :) That's one way to fix the problem!

I doesn't bother me because people seem to get it more when it is called an allergy. To many people an intolerance means that it is no big deal so shut up and eat your donut. In defense of the Atkins diet that was how I found out I was gluten intolerant or allergic, whichever term you prefer. :)