This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened By Fritos Corn Chips?

steve-o

steve-o Apprentice

I've been gluten free for a little over 2 weeks, and have been doing pretty good so far. I haven't had any gastro-intestinal upsets since going gluten-free...until today, that is.

I had a snack size bag of original Fritos corn chips around 4 pm, and about two hours later, things got real ugly. Nausea, gas, bloating, and then diarrhea.

Everything else I ate today, consisted of things eat regularly with no problems at all, so I can't figure anything else it could’ve been, other than the Fritos.

The Fritos web site says something to the effect of "our corn chips are gluten free, but they're processed on the same lines as gluten containing foods, yada, yada".

So I'm just wondering how many of you have had negative reactions to Fritos, and how many can eat them without issue?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I personally have not had a problem with Frito Lay products. They even have some products such as the STAXX that are made on dedicated gluten free lines.

However, the ones made on same lines as gluten containing foods do have the risk for contamination.

Could there have been something else in the chips besides gluten giving you a problem? Do you have trouble with any other foods?

Guest nini

It could also be that your system is reacting to corn.

I personally haven't had a problem with Frito products... But I hear some people react badly to corn as well.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I am super sensitive and I don't eat Lays/Frito or Humpty Dumpty because of the risk of cross contamination. I have reacted to both brands. I once had a severe reaction one night to the lays regular Stax, I got really hot, then nausea, then gagging, then diarrhea <_< Although I have eaten the lays stax without problems in the past, that one batch must have been contaminated or something. I believe they were the only risky food I had eaten that day. I've heard that they are in separate lines in the US but I don't believe this is true in Canada (please correct me if I am wrong). The stax in Canada don't have "naturally free of gluten" on the side or back of the container.

Guest gfinnebraska

I get reactions to Fritos corn chips and also Cheetos Puffs. I guess it is the "trace" amount they pick up from the lines... I am not sure. BUT, I have tried them several times, and get sick each time. MAJOR bummer since I love the puffs!! <_<

celiac3270 Collaborator

The original Fritos are made on dedicated lines, so you shouldn't get a gluten reaction from them.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
I've heard that they are in separate lines in the US but I don't believe this is true in Canada (please correct me if I am wrong). The stax in Canada don't have "naturally free of gluten" on the side or back of the container.

Not all the ones in the US have that written on the side but they all are made on dedicated lines(at least here in the US)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

westiepaws Apprentice

You also might be allergic to soy -- many people with gluten problems are sensitive to it. Check the ingredient list. Also, you might have problems with corn -- my mom does.

westiepaws

Turtle Enthusiast

I just used them a week ago for a gluten-free chicken dip I made...no problems. I agree w/ the others it could be the corn. Good luck!

BellaSara Newbie

What about Cheetos? I saw on one site that a woman fed her gluten-free child cheetos puffs, but what about normal cheetos?

whimsygirl Newbie

Ok I'm confused and REALLY frustrated! I called frito-lay and they sent me a list and cheetos and fritos were on there as gluten-free. I could sware I saw honey BBQ fritos too, because I thought iI had a sigh of relief when I saw it. I have eaten both cheetos and honey BBQ fritos. Now I did get a little nauseous after the cheetos but I thought it was because of the grease factor.( I tend to get nauseous when I eat high fat or greasy stuff. ) I have been having symptoms of being glutened and couldn't figure out where it came from but maybe it's from one of the above. :angry: I'm going to have to go find that list again.

Cheree'

Florida

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Ok I'm confused and REALLY frustrated! I called frito-lay and they sent me a list and cheetos and fritos were on there as gluten-free. I could sware I saw honey BBQ fritos too, because I thought iI had a sigh of relief when I saw it. I have eaten both cheetos and honey BBQ fritos. Now I did get a little nauseous after the cheetos but I thought it was because of the grease factor.( I tend to get nauseous when I eat high fat or greasy stuff. ) I have been having symptoms of being glutened and couldn't figure out where it came from but maybe it's from one of the above. :angry: I'm going to have to go find that list again.

Cheree'

Florida

The Fritos FLAVORED TWISTS Honey BBQ are gluten free but not the BBQ fritos. I just checked the list :D Hope this helps

Guest Eloisa

Cheetos and Fritos make me sick too. I can only eat a few and that's it. Maybe too much grease.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Fritos make me sick every time I eat them, I'm not sure why but they do.

susan

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

The same with me. They always have though.

Sheely Apprentice
I have been having symptoms of being glutened and couldn't figure out where it came from but maybe it's from one of the above. :angry: I'm going to have to go find that list again.

Cheree'

Florida

I was so disappointed when I realized that BBQ Fritos have gluten in them. I have always loved them! But I found a good replacement - UtZ BBQ corn chips have no gluten in them. For some reason, UTZ BBQ corn chips aren't as easy to find, though.

Sheila

Maryland

key Contributor

Fritos don't agree with me either, but I think it is the grease factor. I can eat a few.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Maybe the Fritos are contaminated if so many have problems with them. I don't eat them, so i don't know how they make me feel ;)

• 4 years later...
hicupingandburping Newbie

Gluten free for 1 month now, Having headache after eating small bag of fritos chips burping, and gas... It says no wheat but It HAS to be cross contaminated! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

psawyer Proficient

This topic is almost five years old--product specific information may be out of date. It has been a while for me, but I have had Frito's Original Corn Chips with no problems in the past.

hicupingandburping Newbie

This topic is almost five years old--product specific information may be out of date. It has been a while for me, but I have had Frito's Original Corn Chips with no problems in the past.

The weird thing is it's like when i ate the small bag of fritos someone flipped a switch and problem came back but previous to this i was doing so good!

It's not the corn i had corn tons of corn in past month that didn't bother me, while i was gluten free.

A product can BE gluten free, BUT the equipment belts and tons of other material that handle gluten free stuff may carry other allergens with it without us knowing. they must have tons and tons of belts and machines that I doubt have individual belt lines for.

Jana315 Apprentice

My conclusion is that the Frito Lay products are hit or miss - cc may always be an issue and depending on how sensitive you are, should probably be avoided all together. When I do corn products, I try to stick with white corn that's been de-hulled and/or processed to make it white. Anything else - I avoid completely. I have consistently good results with Que Pasa White Corn chips, organic. No problems - ever. I can't do potatoes, so potato chips are not in the picture. I can also do the Terra Chips, plain fried sweet potato chips! Yum. That's the end of my safe chip list...sadly.

StacyA Enthusiast

Gluten free for 1 month now, Having headache after eating small bag of fritos chips burping, and gas... It says no wheat but It HAS to be cross contaminated! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Do fritos have MSG? Do you also react to MSG? Some gluten-free chips unfortunatly have MSG - like the staxx and doritos, but I'm not sure if fritos do.

Danni Newbie

I've been gluten free for a little over 2 weeks, and have been doing pretty good so far. I haven't had any gastro-intestinal upsets since going gluten-free...until today, that is.

I had a snack size bag of original Fritos corn chips around 4 pm, and about two hours later, things got real ugly. Nausea, gas, bloating, and then diarrhea.

Everything else I ate today, consisted of things eat regularly with no problems at all, so I can't figure anything else it could’ve been, other than the Fritos.

The Fritos web site says something to the effect of "our corn chips are gluten free, but they're processed on the same lines as gluten containing foods, yada, yada".

So I'm just wondering how many of you have had negative reactions to Fritos, and how many can eat them without issue?

I read on their website that fritos and several other frito lay items are gluten free. I also indulge in a afternoon delight! However, when i eat the fritos my stomach starts grumbling and feeling extra bloated. I think it's too greasy with the oil for us to process as I am too an early diagnosed celiac. Unfortunately, until we have healed we should stick to bland foods.

Stay strong!

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

I have problems with Frito's corn chips as well but so does my husband who is not celiac. I think they are just too greasy and heavy?? Notice how your fingers are kinda oily after eating a bunch? They are very hard to eat just one so I stay away from them.