4 replies to this topic

#1 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

I seldom indulge in caffeinated beverages, but last night I went some place where the only thing that was safe was sweet tea. I had not had any sweet tea for almost a year, but I used to enjoy it so I thought "why not?" Well last night at 2 AM when my mind was still racing, my heart was pounding in my ears, my chest hurt and my hands were shaking I knew I had overdosed on caffeine. I had this once before years ago when I drank four shots of espresso in a latte. I just can't handle much caffeine. I have no idea if this is related to gluten. It's probably not. But I thought I would ask if anyone has any remedies. I drank about a gallon of water and I took a sleep aide last night out of desperation and finally went to bed. This morning however I have a terrible headache and my chest still hurts. The worst has passed and I know I can wait it out now. I'm trying to drink lots of water to flush out my system. Is there anything else I can do? What can I do if this happens in the future. Is there any remedy once you overdose or will I just always have to avoid caffeine?
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

Ugh, caffeine, yeah ... :blink:

Deadly stuff if you are not used to having it anymore.

I mistakenly had some coffee with caffeine a few months ago and I experienced what you did: palpitations, the shakes, it was **awful**!!!

I did drink as much water as I could in order to flush a lot of it out. The next day seemed to be okay.
I don't know if it is able to be flushed out like other things. I would love to hear from some scientific people here. But yeah, I know what you are going through!! It was a very alarming sensation, was it not??

As an interesting aside story, I once had a friend whose cousin was a chemist. In one of the labs he worked at, on his first day, the head of the lab took him around and showed him one bottle with some white powder in it. He cautioned the new guy never to touch the stuff in the jar without two sets of gloves and a face mask - what was it?
Pure caffeine!! Particles small enough to inhale in the air and absorbent through the skin. And possibly very deadly!!
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

The water helps because caffeine is somewhat diuretic, and the headache from an overdose can be from mild dehydration. As far as I know, there is nothing to counteract the effects of caffeine once you've absorbed it. I hope you feel better soon.

And by the way, me and my coffee pot can confirm that not all celiacs are caffeine intolerant. ;)

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Thanks! I'm better now. My headache is gone anyway. My chest still hurts a little, but I think it has passed.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

And by the way, me and my coffee pot can confirm that not all celiacs are caffeine intolerant. ;)

I think my problem is less the caffeine than the acidity of coffee :)
It's just that I am sounused to caffeine now that a cup of coffee has me messed for the rest of the day.

I could never drink colas either - no acidity in those, they just messed up my stomach as well.

Oh well :)
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: