15 replies to this topic

#1 jasonD2

jasonD2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

with the constant burden of leaky gut, parasites, bacterial overgrowth and food allergies should i just accept the fact that I will be getting cancer at some point in the next 10-15 years? my problems cant be corrected because nothing is working...i may feel better for a few months but i then relapse and all my symptoms return in full force. is it juts a matter of time?
Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bluebonnet

bluebonnet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

unfortunately the "c" word can strike anyone. i battle with that thought daily. i hope it doesn't. harder to do than say but being positive and optimistic can help your physical health tremendously. prayer, meditation, faith and hope are important too. just keep staying away from what you *know* makes you sick. try to sleep, exercise and find people/things/hobbies that make you happy regularly. that's all anyone can do really. best wishes. :)

#3 India

India

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Nothing is inevitable - it's amazing what the human body can endure and survive and there are many people on this board who are a testament to that. From what I understand, there is a slightly elevated risk of cancer for celiacs but that's all. If you believe the worst will happen, you may miss out on the chance to make the most of all the time you have left, whether that's 15 years or 50. All you can do is take the best care of yourself that you can - and the rest is left to chance.

Sorry - this is a string of cliches! - but I'm sure other people will reassure you too.

Self diagnosed but confirmed by biopsy
Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

Also have RSI, widespread myofascial pain and hypermobility problems

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

I went over 40 year mis- and undiagnosed. I am cancer free. Will it develop down the line either from being misdiagnosed, working with chemicals without gloves, smoking for so many years, a occasional drink or not drinking well who knows.
I will not spend time worrying about it. Now making a left hand turn in heavy traffic and getting broadsided that I will worry about. :D

I have a plaque in my kitchen that says:
"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of it's troubles,
It empties today of it's strength."

A very wise saying, just wish I knew who to credit for it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

with the constant burden of leaky gut, parasites, bacterial overgrowth and food allergies should i just accept the fact that I will be getting cancer at some point in the next 10-15 years? my problems cant be corrected because nothing is working...i may feel better for a few months but i then relapse and all my symptoms return in full force. is it juts a matter of time?

Awe I just want to give you a great big hug. I wish there was a hugging emoticon.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#6 jasonD2

jasonD2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

is this risk elevated for celiacs who continue to consume gluten or people w/ celiac in general?
Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

For starters, no you are not guaranteed cancer. Celiac related cancer is very rare and I am not aware of any cancer risk associated with infections or allergies. Risk is only elevated in celiacs who continue to consume gluten.

That said, I am concerned about your state of mind. You sound very stressed out and very worried. Is there a possibility that your relapse has made you depressed? (Remember, our minds and bodies are linked and when one is not working right, the other often follows.)

You could try a test like the Hamilton Depression Scale. If you come up depressed, you might want to seek some help coping while you get through this round of GI trouble.
http://www.real-depr...sion-scale.html

#8 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

I sure hope not! You were a lot younger than I was, when you were diagnosed with celiac and started the gluten free diet. However, I've had about as many gut bug infections as you had. I also have obvious leaky gut symptoms (very sensitive to sorbitol, 7 food allergies, etc.). Nevertheless, I focus on how much healthier I am and will be in the future, because I've dealt with all those problems, rather than accepting the 'ibs' misdiagnosis and letting those things go untreated.

I also get the same kind of symptoms (gastrointestinal pain, bloating and irregularity) whether I have a bacteria, parasite or fungus, whether I accidentally eat an allergen or whether I just react to one of my sensitivities (like sorbitol in prunes or other dried fruit). I consider myself lucky to have obvious though painful symptoms, rather than have other somatic symptoms like joint pain, headaches, fatigue, etc., which docs readily misdiagnose as autoimmune conditions, for which they quickly prescribe drugs to treat the symptoms, rather than eliminating the cause. I've also learned to only see my naturopath for gut problems, but leave the broken bones, ob/gyn exams, etc. to my traditional doc. Ultimately we can be our own health advocate with how we live as well as how we treat our symptoms.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

Jason, you asked, "Is cancer inevitable for me?"

I don't really know. How many packs a day do you smoke? Oh, wait, not every smoker develops lung cancer.

A celiac who continues to eat gluten is at a higher risk for certain types of cancer. Higher risk does not equate to a guarantee.

A celiac who follows a strict gluten-free diet is at no greater risk for cancer than a non-celiac in the long term.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

It's not inevitable for anyone and I think you are depressed if you're thinking this way. That's not a normal or healthy thought process to be going through.

The body just keeps on kicking against tremendous odds. My mother is diabetic but eats sugar like it's going out of style and weighs about 350 pounds. She's still going and has never had cancer. Lots and lots of other health issues and you'd think she wouldn't even be alive but here she is.

My old boyfriend's mother was a raging alcoholic and chain smoker. She put vodka in her coffee, I'm not kidding. She would then drink all day long, hard alcohol and smoke all those cigarettes. Every year when she went for her physical the doc would say how healthy she was. My boyfriend would get so mad because he hoped there would be something wrong to kick her in the butt and get her to stop all the drinking.

Of course it's not inevitable. Stop thinking about it and enjoy your new girlfriend.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#11 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

OK Jason, it's time for an intervention. Now I say this with care and concern, but YOU HAVE GOT TO GET SOME PROFESSIONAL HELP NOW. This is interfering with every part of your life. You're in a place where you can't see the forest for the trees. People here are really trying to help, but you can only see why the advice won't work.

You've got to spend the energy you currently spend "awfulizing" everything into therapy. Please, don't come up with all the reasons you can't or won't go. Just do it. If you haven't realized by now that this endless worrying is affecting your health, consider yourself told.

Go. Get. Help. Now.

It's time to do this for yourself.
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#12 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

Jason, even the CDC agress that 85% of diseases are based on emotion. Meaning negative thoughts and behaviors will lead to disease. I suggest you do whatever it is you need to do to get in a better frame of mind. That's one of the best ways to fight ever getting it.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#13 precious831

precious831

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

I know it's very easy to be down and feel this way Jason but if I think of all the bad things, I'll miss out on the good things. I'm grateful for each day I get to live my life, despite the celiac and my other health problems. I think it's important to have a support system. It helps me also that I have a daughter who has multiple food allergies(though most of the time I'm sad about her as well). I tell myself that I have to be strong for her(and for me), that no one else is going to take care of her, she depends on me. I know my faith in God has helped me also. And most of all I believe in miracles.

Please try and talk to a counselor, get some help, nothing wrong with that. Sometimes we just need a little push. Please do what you need to find some joy in living again. I don't believe in reincarnation so for me, it's best to live this one life we've been given to the fullest, no matter what our lot in life is.
Grain-free,dairy-free, soy-free (celiac, possible colitis now as well).
Extremely allergic to shellfish, Aspirin & Ibuprofen

#14 India

India

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:03 AM

I'm no expert but I think I read that the risk returns to normal after five years gluten free - that is, it is untreated coeliac disease/eating gluten which carries the slightly higher risk.

That said, I would expect someone with coeliac disease who knowingly continues to eat gluten to also be neglecting their health and lifestyle in other ways which might also affect well-being.

Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

#15 India

India

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:05 AM

Sorry Jason, I should've posted that further up. Another brain mush day. Sigh.

Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: