10 replies to this topic

#1 Quality

Quality

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

been eating the same foods for 8 months now, was looking into adding some gluten free foods to my diet. Ive known that potatoes are gluten free, but i was wondering if the frozen fries you buy in the grocery store are gluten free?? was planning on baking them, but im not sure if they use additives that contain gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

It is hard to give a generic answer, but in such a product gluten is likely to be obvious. If you cannot pronounce the ingredient it is rare that it is a source of gluten. Some fries are coated with a seasoning that contains gluten, but these are usually clear from the ingredient list that they contain wheat flour.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

They're not all gluten-free. You have to check the labels.

#4 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

I know there are multiple types of Ore Ida fries that are okay to eat. I can't remember off the top of my head what my books list. I'm not around the books right now. I know there were several types of that brand.
Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#5 SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

I've noticed that on some of the Ore Ida brand fries that in the bottom side of the bag near where the bottom side seam comes together gluten free is printed in small yellow letters. Not all of their products are gluten free, but their shoe strings and regular steak fries are (please double check me). I've found the gluten free confirmation in that little pleat that is inconvenient to see, but it has been there in the last 3 bags I've purchased. I just added french fries back to my life and had forgotten what I was missing. The Ore Ida website has a huge list of all their gluten-free products and many are less plain than I would have imagined. Don't forget the katsup.

#6 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

that's tricky- in the past everytime i bought frozen french fries or sweet potato fries- they were coated in wheat.

BUT- i am totally in love with Dr. Praeger's (sp?) frozen treats- in particular the sweet potato patties/cakes.. they are so yummmm and gluten free (of course double check all his products- but im sure the sweet potato cakes & spinach cakes ARE gluten free)
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#7 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

I like Alexia fries. All their fries are gluten free I believe. They are one of the few companies I have found that doesn't use soybean oil for their fries. http://www.alexiafoo...aq/faq_main.jsp

It's easy to find a gluten free fry, but harder to find soy free. I like to make my own in big batches and freeze them too. Whenever there's a good sale on potatoes I make a bunch of fries. ;)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,110 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

I've noticed that on some of the Ore Ida brand fries that in the bottom side of the bag near where the bottom side seam comes together gluten free is printed in small yellow letters. Not all of their products are gluten free, but their shoe strings and regular steak fries are (please double check me). I've found the gluten free confirmation in that little pleat that is inconvenient to see, but it has been there in the last 3 bags I've purchased. I just added french fries back to my life and had forgotten what I was missing. The Ore Ida website has a huge list of all their gluten-free products and many are less plain than I would have imagined. Don't forget the katsup.

Pulled my bag out of the freezer and what do you know? Under the ingredients, way at the bottom "gluten Free". To celebrate this momentous discovery, I popped some in the oven. Yum!

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

I don't currently have any in the freezer, but all this fry-talk is making want to go out and buy some!! It's definitely a momentous occasion when you can eat fries at a restaurant!! I so enjoyed the beach b/c they had a Cheeseburger in Paradise and and Margaritaville (both with dedicated fryers) There is NO WHERE I can get that around here, unless I make them. But hey, at least I do have Ore Ida to fall back on :)
Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#10 EcoSafeMom

EcoSafeMom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

GlutenFreeManna would you mind sharing your recipe for making your own freezer fries. I grow potatoes in my garden and while I don't have enough this year I would love to know how in the future. I will be planting more next year.

#11 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:31 AM

GlutenFreeManna would you mind sharing your recipe for making your own freezer fries. I grow potatoes in my garden and while I don't have enough this year I would love to know how in the future. I will be planting more next year.

Sure, it's really easy!

Ingredients:
Potatoes
Oil of your choice (I like olive oil)
Seasonings of your choice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400.

Fill a large bowl with cold water

Wash and peel the potatoes (you can leave the skin on too if you prefer as long as you scrub it really good)

Slice potatoes lengthwise into fries of desired thickness. Thinner fries will cook faster and get crisp (and if you like them really, really thin you might turn the oven down to 375 so they don't burn), thicker fries will take longer. A good tool to use if you are making thick steak fries is an apple slicer, just cut the round center slice in half. Pampered chef also sells a similar tool for fries.

As you cut the fries place them in the water. Once you have cut all the fries, drain the water and pat the fries dry with a paper towel. Lay them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet.

Spray them with oil or if you don't have a misto, use a baster and really coat them good. Sprinkle with whatever seasonings you are using.

For eating: Bake for 45 minute to an hour or until cooked through and crispy on the outside. Keep an eye on them if you made them really thin, cooking time really varies depending on the size of fry you make.

For freezing: Bake for about 30 minute or until you can easily pierce a fry with a fork (just soft) but not until crispy. Remove from oven, leave on cookie sheet and let cookie sheet cool completely. Place cookie sheet in freezer and allow the fries to freeze for at least an hour (you can leave them like that overnight if you want). Once frozen, place in freezer bags.

For cooking frozen fries: Remove from freezer, spread out in a single layer and bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes until cooked.

Some suggestions for seasonings:
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Paprika, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder
Rosemary, kosher salt and black pepper
Chili powder, cumin, tumeric, paprika, cinnamon, and garlic powder
If making sweet potato fries you can do cinnamon and a little brown sugar.

I also make home fries/hash browns with the above method. Just cut potato into little cubes and add a diced onion and a diced bell pepper to the potatoes.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: