Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Frozen Bagged French Fries?

11 posts in this topic

been eating the same foods for 8 months now, was looking into adding some gluten free foods to my diet. Ive known that potatoes are gluten free, but i was wondering if the frozen fries you buy in the grocery store are gluten free?? was planning on baking them, but im not sure if they use additives that contain gluten.

It is hard to give a generic answer, but in such a product gluten is likely to be obvious. If you cannot pronounce the ingredient it is rare that it is a source of gluten. Some fries are coated with a seasoning that contains gluten, but these are usually clear from the ingredient list that they contain wheat flour.

They're not all gluten-free. You have to check the labels.

I know there are multiple types of Ore Ida fries that are okay to eat. I can't remember off the top of my head what my books list. I'm not around the books right now. I know there were several types of that brand.

I've noticed that on some of the Ore Ida brand fries that in the bottom side of the bag near where the bottom side seam comes together gluten free is printed in small yellow letters. Not all of their products are gluten free, but their shoe strings and regular steak fries are (please double check me). I've found the gluten free confirmation in that little pleat that is inconvenient to see, but it has been there in the last 3 bags I've purchased. I just added french fries back to my life and had forgotten what I was missing. The Ore Ida website has a huge list of all their gluten-free products and many are less plain than I would have imagined. Don't forget the katsup.

that's tricky- in the past everytime i bought frozen french fries or sweet potato fries- they were coated in wheat.

BUT- i am totally in love with Dr. Praeger's (sp?) frozen treats- in particular the sweet potato patties/cakes.. they are so yummmm and gluten free (of course double check all his products- but im sure the sweet potato cakes & spinach cakes ARE gluten free)

I like Alexia fries. All their fries are gluten free I believe. They are one of the few companies I have found that doesn't use soybean oil for their fries. http://www.alexiafoods.com/alexia-faq/faq_main.jsp

It's easy to find a gluten free fry, but harder to find soy free. I like to make my own in big batches and freeze them too. Whenever there's a good sale on potatoes I make a bunch of fries. ;)

I've noticed that on some of the Ore Ida brand fries that in the bottom side of the bag near where the bottom side seam comes together gluten free is printed in small yellow letters. Not all of their products are gluten free, but their shoe strings and regular steak fries are (please double check me). I've found the gluten free confirmation in that little pleat that is inconvenient to see, but it has been there in the last 3 bags I've purchased. I just added french fries back to my life and had forgotten what I was missing. The Ore Ida website has a huge list of all their gluten-free products and many are less plain than I would have imagined. Don't forget the katsup.

Pulled my bag out of the freezer and what do you know? Under the ingredients, way at the bottom "gluten Free". To celebrate this momentous discovery, I popped some in the oven. Yum!

I don't currently have any in the freezer, but all this fry-talk is making want to go out and buy some!! It's definitely a momentous occasion when you can eat fries at a restaurant!! I so enjoyed the beach b/c they had a Cheeseburger in Paradise and and Margaritaville (both with dedicated fryers) There is NO WHERE I can get that around here, unless I make them. But hey, at least I do have Ore Ida to fall back on :)

GlutenFreeManna would you mind sharing your recipe for making your own freezer fries. I grow potatoes in my garden and while I don't have enough this year I would love to know how in the future. I will be planting more next year.

GlutenFreeManna would you mind sharing your recipe for making your own freezer fries. I grow potatoes in my garden and while I don't have enough this year I would love to know how in the future. I will be planting more next year.

Sure, it's really easy!

Ingredients:

Potatoes

Oil of your choice (I like olive oil)

Seasonings of your choice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400.

Fill a large bowl with cold water

Wash and peel the potatoes (you can leave the skin on too if you prefer as long as you scrub it really good)

Slice potatoes lengthwise into fries of desired thickness. Thinner fries will cook faster and get crisp (and if you like them really, really thin you might turn the oven down to 375 so they don't burn), thicker fries will take longer. A good tool to use if you are making thick steak fries is an apple slicer, just cut the round center slice in half. Pampered chef also sells a similar tool for fries.

As you cut the fries place them in the water. Once you have cut all the fries, drain the water and pat the fries dry with a paper towel. Lay them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet.

Spray them with oil or if you don't have a misto, use a baster and really coat them good. Sprinkle with whatever seasonings you are using.

For eating: Bake for 45 minute to an hour or until cooked through and crispy on the outside. Keep an eye on them if you made them really thin, cooking time really varies depending on the size of fry you make.

For freezing: Bake for about 30 minute or until you can easily pierce a fry with a fork (just soft) but not until crispy. Remove from oven, leave on cookie sheet and let cookie sheet cool completely. Place cookie sheet in freezer and allow the fries to freeze for at least an hour (you can leave them like that overnight if you want). Once frozen, place in freezer bags.

For cooking frozen fries: Remove from freezer, spread out in a single layer and bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes until cooked.

Some suggestions for seasonings:

Sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Paprika, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder

Rosemary, kosher salt and black pepper

Chili powder, cumin, tumeric, paprika, cinnamon, and garlic powder

If making sweet potato fries you can do cinnamon and a little brown sugar.

I also make home fries/hash browns with the above method. Just cut potato into little cubes and add a diced onion and a diced bell pepper to the potatoes.