#1 blissfully_unaware

blissfully_unaware

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:37 AM

Hi

I've checked the ingredients of my favourite Chocolate chip ice cream from Baskin Robbins and I think it's gluten free. These are the ingredients that I got from their website:

Ingredients: cream, nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, semi-sweet chocolate chips (sugar, chocolate liquor processed with alkali, butter oil, cocoa butter, soya lecithin), whey, natural and artificial vanilla flavor, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, carrageenan, polysorbate 80, annatto color.

Just wondering if it's safe to eat? I've read previous threads on Baskin Robbins and understand that most of you avoid their ice creams as they do not guarantee being gluten free. But if their ingredients do not contain gluten, it should be okay to eat right? Or is there a risk of getting cross contaminated (even if I buy the pre-packed ones)?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sayccrn

sayccrn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:22 AM

Hi

I've checked the ingredients of my favourite Chocolate chip ice cream from Baskin Robbins and I think it's gluten free. These are the ingredients that I got from their website:

Ingredients: cream, nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, semi-sweet chocolate chips (sugar, chocolate liquor processed with alkali, butter oil, cocoa butter, soya lecithin), whey, natural and artificial vanilla flavor, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, carrageenan, polysorbate 80, annatto color.

Just wondering if it's safe to eat? I've read previous threads on Baskin Robbins and understand that most of you avoid their ice creams as they do not guarantee being gluten free. But if their ingredients do not contain gluten, it should be okay to eat right? Or is there a risk of getting cross contaminated (even if I buy the pre-packed ones)?

Thanks!

I don't know either, but was going to post a similar question about ice cream too. Mine was Bryers, choc chip mint. Which everyone has told me is an OK ice cream to eat. When the ingredients say 'whey' in a dairy product, are we to assume that is is from the milk whey??

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:28 AM

I don't know either, but was going to post a similar question about ice cream too. Mine was Bryers, choc chip mint. Which everyone has told me is an OK ice cream to eat. When the ingredients say 'whey' in a dairy product, are we to assume that is is from the milk whey??

Whey is just part of whole milk. I worry about places like B R because piece of ice cream cones could be broken in the ice cream. Not sure where they pack the pre made containers. You might ask.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:01 AM

There may be risk of CC. Someone who knows will hopefully reply.

However, there's always the gluten-free, dairy-free products such as Purely Decadent and Coconut Bliss.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#5 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

I have called several companies (including Bryers, Tillamook, Haagendaz) about the risk of CC in the non gluten containing ice creams. The answer I got from all of them was that they couldn't guarantee that there wouldn't be any CC, because all of the ice creams are produced on the same equipment.

#6 blissfully_unaware

blissfully_unaware

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for all your replies. So I guess the risk of cross contamination would be for any ice cream since the gluten free flavours would be packed/made in the same facility as the gluten flavours.
RiceGuy, the gluten free ice creams look great - too bad they aren't available where I stay:(

#7 missceliac2010

missceliac2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:13 AM

There may be risk of CC. Someone who knows will hopefully reply.

However, there's always the gluten-free, dairy-free products such as Purely Decadent and Coconut Bliss.

3 cheers for Purely Decadent and Coconut Bliss! I'm very dairy intolerant (it seems to have gotten worse over the past few months...). Those two brands are the only ones that work for me, and don't taste like ka-ka! Good luck! Read labels, and call and bug manufacturers! They love it when we do that! ;) I do it all the time! If I'm in a grocery store, odds are, I'm on my phone at least once calling "random company # 35" to verify their gluten-free status! :0)
Heather C.
July, 2010: Diagnosed with Celiac Disease via elimination diet and strong Lactose Intolerance via blood work. My symptoms of glutening include 1. extreme abdominal distention, 2. severe abdominal pain, 3. gas, 4. mood swings/generally negative and unpleasant to be around!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: