This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

blissfully-unaware

blissfully-unaware Rookie

Hi

I've checked the ingredients of my favourite Chocolate chip ice cream from Baskin Robbins and I think it's gluten free. These are the ingredients that I got from their website:

Ingredients: cream, nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, semi-sweet chocolate chips (sugar, chocolate liquor processed with alkali, butter oil, cocoa butter, soya lecithin), whey, natural and artificial vanilla flavor, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, carrageenan, polysorbate 80, annatto color.

Just wondering if it's safe to eat? I've read previous threads on Baskin Robbins and understand that most of you avoid their ice creams as they do not guarantee being gluten free. But if their ingredients do not contain gluten, it should be okay to eat right? Or is there a risk of getting cross contaminated (even if I buy the pre-packed ones)?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sayccrn Rookie

Hi

I've checked the ingredients of my favourite Chocolate chip ice cream from Baskin Robbins and I think it's gluten free. These are the ingredients that I got from their website:

Ingredients: cream, nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, semi-sweet chocolate chips (sugar, chocolate liquor processed with alkali, butter oil, cocoa butter, soya lecithin), whey, natural and artificial vanilla flavor, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, carrageenan, polysorbate 80, annatto color.

Just wondering if it's safe to eat? I've read previous threads on Baskin Robbins and understand that most of you avoid their ice creams as they do not guarantee being gluten free. But if their ingredients do not contain gluten, it should be okay to eat right? Or is there a risk of getting cross contaminated (even if I buy the pre-packed ones)?

Thanks!

I don't know either, but was going to post a similar question about ice cream too. Mine was Bryers, choc chip mint. Which everyone has told me is an OK ice cream to eat. When the ingredients say 'whey' in a dairy product, are we to assume that is is from the milk whey??

kareng Grand Master

I don't know either, but was going to post a similar question about ice cream too. Mine was Bryers, choc chip mint. Which everyone has told me is an OK ice cream to eat. When the ingredients say 'whey' in a dairy product, are we to assume that is is from the milk whey??

Whey is just part of whole milk. I worry about places like B R because piece of ice cream cones could be broken in the ice cream. Not sure where they pack the pre made containers. You might ask.

RiceGuy Collaborator

There may be risk of CC. Someone who knows will hopefully reply.

However, there's always the gluten-free, dairy-free products such as Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link.

gary'sgirl Explorer

I have called several companies (including Bryers, Tillamook, Haagendaz) about the risk of CC in the non gluten containing ice creams. The answer I got from all of them was that they couldn't guarantee that there wouldn't be any CC, because all of the ice creams are produced on the same equipment.

blissfully-unaware Rookie

Thanks for all your replies. So I guess the risk of cross contamination would be for any ice cream since the gluten free flavours would be packed/made in the same facility as the gluten flavours.

RiceGuy, the gluten free ice creams look great - too bad they aren't available where I stay:(

missceliac2010 Apprentice

There may be risk of CC. Someone who knows will hopefully reply.

However, there's always the gluten-free, dairy-free products such as Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link.

3 cheers for Purely Decadent and Coconut Bliss! I'm very dairy intolerant (it seems to have gotten worse over the past few months...). Those two brands are the only ones that work for me, and don't taste like ka-ka! Good luck! Read labels, and call and bug manufacturers! They love it when we do that! ;) I do it all the time! If I'm in a grocery store, odds are, I'm on my phone at least once calling "random company # 35" to verify their gluten-free status! :0)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived