This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cramps With Campbell Soup?

crampy girl

crampy girl Apprentice

My reactions are sometimes a bit delayed... usually the next day if I've slipped up and eaten gluten.

Aside from that... your stomach could be protesting the lack of "real" food within the past 24 hours.

You said you had the following:

campbells soup-tomatoe cream (has gluten)

gluten free potato chips

corn chips and salsa, (chips possibly have gluten if manufactured along with other chips, plus "corn" chips sometimes contain grains other than corn

dove chocolate

yoplait yogurt (plain or flavored)

starbucks cofee w milk (again, was it flavored? sweetened with anything?)

deli meat (I'm new at this, but was under the impression that deli meat contained gluten?)

cheese (what kind of cheese? processed cheese may have gluten

apple

So... you potentially had a lot of gluten. Plus, your body didn't really get anything of substance, no real "meal" within a 24 hour period.

I've only recently been diagnosed and am still learning, but I am taking this as an opportunity to improve my overall eating habits and diet. I'm trying to eat right... and to me that is more than just being gluten free. :)

Hey there, thanks for your post reply. Sorry it has taken a while to respond, I never got the email notification because the question got moved. I am eating like crap and have lost 3 pounds. I cannot afford to loose any more weight as I am thin as it is. I live in Oklahoma and have gone up and down the grocery isles and found not to many gluten free products. The ones I found taste awful. I am hungry and frustrated. I love my wheat bagels and ritz and cheezits and I miss them really really bad. I also love bread and pizza and cereal. I know there are recipes out there, but I have three small children and am very busy- I am a Radiologist, so my work is intense and busy. Is there a book with practical ideas? What kind of meal is there that is gluten free? I hate meat, esp red meat. makes me want to puke. I did force myself to eat a hamburger patty last night and felt much better going to bed and I ate some almonds. This whole thing is so frustrating to me. Part of me wants to go off the diet and eat whatever I want to again- but the diarrhea and cramps are so debilitating-- sorry for ranting. Thanks for any comments in advance. crampy girl.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

crampy girl Apprentice

Your lunch meat may have had gluten in it also. And your Starbucks, if you ordered it with a sugar-free liquid sweetener. Chocolate bars also get my tummy in an uproar, I think due to the soy lecithin.

Some lunch meat has gluten? Starbucks sugar free sweetner also? I had no idea! And I thought it was the caffeine that was irritating my stomach all this time! geez. I have lost 3 pounds and cannot afford to keep loosing weight. I am thin as it is. I downloaded the gluten free deal for my iphone but it is not a complete list. I am so frustrated and hungry, but at the same time happy to be done with most cramp episode. It was ruling my life. I did eat about 3 chocolate bars, and I never eat chocolate, I was trying to find something with calories because I am starving myself on this crazy diet. I hate to cook, and I love couscous, bagels and pizza.

Lisa Mentor

Some lunch meat has gluten? Starbucks sugar free sweetner also? I had no idea!

Huh? :unsure:

Open Original Shared Link

I’m sorry to hear that the formulation change we have made to Frappuccino® light means that as a sufferer of celiac disease you are unable to enjoy that beverage. We do not claim any of our beverages as gluten free due to the risk of cross contamination in store or at our manufacturing facilities but you are correct that as part of our policy of declaration on labels our new ingredients do say ‘contains gluten’ specifically where the old did not. We do this so that our baristas and their customers can be as informed as possible about the ingredients that we use. In addition we are constantly looking at new and better ways to ensure that all customer are able to identify ingredients that are important to them and your feedback is useful in helping us do that.

I know you are looking for a reduced calorie Frappuccino® blended beverage and whilst the light product might now not be suitable, because of other changes we have made to the way we make the beverage in store you can now reduce the calories on a regular coffee frappuccino by requesting non fat milk and a tall is just 160 calories.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

Ian

Ian Cranna

Director Blended Beverage

Starbucks Coffee Company

2401 Utah Ave. S.

S-MT2

Seattle

WA 98134-1435

But, then...this thread is about soup ;)

kareng Grand Master

I haven't found any artificial sweetener with gluten. The sweetener can bother you but not because of gluten.

I haven't found any cold cuts that have gluten. There might be a few but you can read the ingredients. I like Hormel in the brown box. Says gluten-free on it. My deli said they had one that was dusted with something before cooking so I don't have a deli cut cheese & meat for me unless the cutters are clean.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Some lunch meat has gluten? Starbucks sugar free sweetner also? I had no idea! And I thought it was the caffeine that was irritating my stomach all this time! geez. I have lost 3 pounds and cannot afford to keep loosing weight. I am thin as it is. I downloaded the gluten free deal for my iphone but it is not a complete list. I am so frustrated and hungry, but at the same time happy to be done with most cramp episode. It was ruling my life. I did eat about 3 chocolate bars, and I never eat chocolate, I was trying to find something with calories because I am starving myself on this crazy diet. I hate to cook, and I love couscous, bagels and pizza.

Some companies that sell gluten free stuff ship. Kinnickinnick is one and they make good pizza shells and okay bagels and doughnuts and much more. Make sure you check the store on line here at Celiac.com also. Scope out if there is a health food store near you, call and ask what they have. There is lots of food that is safe for us. Fresh meats, chicken, fish, veggies, fruits, rice etc. Thai Kitchen makes some good rice noodles that you can find in your Asian section of the grocery store. A rice cooker and crockpot can be lifesavers when your buzy. Big pots of chili, pasta sauce, soups etc cooked on a day off can last for days and provide meals during the week. You can toss a chicken and a couple potatoes in the oven and they will cook themselves with very little prep as will a roast. You can relax and play with the kids while it cooks and teach the little ones how to set and clear the table, if they are old enough teach them how to cook simple meals and give you time to read the paper or just destress. It is hard but you will feel so much better once you get used to it all.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I live in Oklahoma and have gone up and down the grocery isles and found not to many gluten free products. The ones I found taste awful. I am hungry and frustrated. I love my wheat bagels and ritz and cheezits and I miss them really really bad. I also love bread and pizza and cereal. I know there are recipes out there, but I have three small children and am very busy- I am a Radiologist, so my work is intense and busy. Is there a book with practical ideas? What kind of meal is there that is gluten free? I hate meat, esp red meat. makes me want to puke. I did force myself to eat a hamburger patty last night and felt much better going to bed and I ate some almonds. This whole thing is so frustrating to me. Part of me wants to go off the diet and eat whatever I want to again- but the diarrhea and cramps are so debilitating-- sorry for ranting. Thanks for any comments in advance. crampy girl.

This was the post I was actually replying to in my last post. Sorry if my answer seemed confusing.

If you are new to the diet it also might be helpful to wait for a month or so at least to try some of the replacement foods. Some of the breads are really awful but some are okay and some are really good. Grainless Baker and Kinnickinnick are brands I like. Udi's gets good reviews but I can't find it here. Do note that most of our breads taste better if toasted or microwaved first.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi Crampy Girl. Do you live in OKC? If so, there is a big health food store off of I 240 and Pennsylvania st.

They have loads of gluten free stuff.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

For quick things, I like to keep on hand blue diamond nut thins (these don't last to long at my house...I have to fight my boys over them), kind bars, nature valley roasted nut crunch bars, bakery on the main granola bars, ruth's power flax bars, boomi bars, raw almonds, craisens and cheese sticks. All of these are easy and very portable and make snacking easy. We always keep a supply of lunch meat and cheese (I buy the prepackaged) to make wraps or sandwiches out of. I love to eat that on corn thins or wrap it up in a corn tortilla. Lundburg rice cakes are really easy and the possibilities are endless on what to put on top. I have used them for an open faced "grilled cheese", peanut butter and jelly, hummus, etc. My kids especially like the rice cakes with shredded mozzerella cheese and pepperoni on top. Just pop in the microwave until the cheese melts and enjoy. Easy Easy! I also like popcorn with melted coconut oil and kosher salt. I don't have many suggestions for anything premade for meals since my husband and I make almost everything from scratch. Some of the convenience stuff that is easy is the betty crocker cake, brownie and cookie mixes as well as the betty crocker gluten free bisquik mix. On your days off you could try cooking/roasting up some chicken and freezing it and maybe use it for a quick stir fry tossed in with a bag of frozen veggies and serve with some steamed rice. Also there are some progresso soups that are gluten free and alot of the taste of tai products are gluten free. Soups/chili are easy to make and freeze. I'm sure others have more ideas.

MelindaLee Contributor

Don't forget yoplait yogurt. Everyone I have found states it is gluten free. (So are all the gogurts I have found for my DD :D ) :D (Watch out for the smootie type yogurts, though, they need to be watched closer to know they are safe) My local grocery doesn't have much either, but I did see some risotto box mixes that stated gluten free on the package. (Sorry I didn't buy any or pay much attention to the brand) I did a nice baked zucchinni with rice and tomatoe sauce and cheese. (I used hamburger as well as my DH must have his meat) It also freezes great so you could have some for another meal. Or Spagetti squash. Just steam it or bake it. Use a fork to shred it and serve with spagetti sauce and some cheese. (It's always a great way to get kids to eat veggies!) A friend borrowed me her book "Gluten Free for Dummies" when I was first diagnosed. There is lots of good info in that, including tips on simple things to eat. Good luck.

crampy girl Apprentice

Hi Crampy Girl. Do you live in OKC? If so, there is a big health food store off of I 240 and Pennsylvania st.

They have loads of gluten free stuff.

Cool! Thanks. I will go this weekend. I sat down and had a good cry today, I'm so very upset about this curse! I noticed you put hypoglycemia on your deal, whenever I eat carbs I get this rebound hunger shake thing. Once I checked my blood sugar during a spell that I almost passed out with, after I drank Orange juice and it was 53,even after the juice. I wonder if that has something to do with this gluten stuff? I noticed I got that way if I ate sugary stuff like pop tarts.

Do you live in OKC? Thanks for your help. Crampy girl

Kelly&Mom Rookie

Hang in there! My daughter and I have celiac and we eat wonderfully well. She's gained weight (needed to) and I've lost weight (needed to)! That doesn't mean there aren't times when I pine for sourdough bread or things like that, but there are a lot of great options out there. Tonight we had Trader Joe's chipotle marinted chicken kabobs with pineapple salso, spanish rice, refried beans, gluten-free cornbread muffins and a green salad :) We don't always eat that well but there are many options. We love tacos, baked potatoes with all kinds of fillings, pasta salad made from rice or quinoa pasta with cheese, cold cuts, veggies and italian dressing, spaghetti with rice pasta, lasagna w/ gluten free pasta, I make a great chicken tortilla soup. My 14 yr. old daughter is determined to have her cake and eat it too so she bakes up a storm. She's made the best banana cream pie I've ever had, chocolate cheese cake, all kinds of cookies and bars, chocolate pecan pie, brownies with all kinds of add-ins, chocolate dipped gluten-free pretzels, crepes with Nutella and bananas inside (your kids would be wild about those!). My husband goes on (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) and buys Pamela's baking mix and bread mix and they are very good, plus their choclate chip and gingersnap cookies are really good! I had a frozen soup for lunch today that was really good (Kettle something). We love Far East spanish rice and wild rice, Betty Crocker cakes and brownies. I used to get low blood sugar after going gluten free but discovered that increasing the amount of protein in my meals helped to combat that. Cheese sticks are my friend :) Hang in there! If there's an Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse, BJ's or PF Changs near you, go!! They have a gluten free menu :) Cheesecake Factory is coming out with one soon.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

My recommendation is to spend a little time this weekend coming up with a weekly menu and grocery list that is gluten free for the whole family. They can always add a little bread or cereal if they are missing the gluten. For the next month or two until you start feeling more comfortable with shopping and cooking this way, the family can handle having a weekly rotation menu. It helped me have some variety in my diet and kept me from feeling so down. I figuted out my breakfast, lunch and dinner so I always had leftovers for lunch the next day.

For example:

Monday: Roast chicken (prep the night before), veggies, potatoes (make double the amount you need).

Tuesday: Loaded omlette/scramble, (olives, salsa, ground turkey (left over from another night), cheese), OreIda hashbrowns (or toaster hashbrowns, but you need a new toaster), sliced apples and cinnamon

Wednesday: Chili, 2 cans kidney beans, 2 big cans diced tomatoes, LOTS of cumin, dried or fresh onion, salt & pepper, 1 lb. ground turkey, ( I add "notChicken" bullion cubes because I don't do MSG, dairy, or gluten which can be in other brands of bullion). You could leave the bullion out and add a little bit of garlic and a bit more salt and pepper. I like my chili mild, so this is without chili pepper, but you could add that too. I love to make a double recipe of this for freezing.

Thursday: BBQ chicken (in the oven to roast the easy way), Kraft has some gluten-free sauces, and Sweet Baby Ray's original and some other flavors are gluten-free. Veggies and Cheese, Ore-Ida Shoestring French Fries

Friday: Spagetti, Rice noodles (I like Tai Kitchen), Ragu (some flavors including my favorite super chunky mushroom are gluten-free), ground turkey, Kraft Parmasean (not the tub the kids smashed into the gluten pasta plate last month) Also hide the white noodles under sauce until the family eats the whole bowl. They won't notice a difference if it is the Tai Kitchen noodles.

Saturday: Taco night

Sunday: Soup: Chicken and rice 2 options here, Throw all the leftover meat from the week into the crock pot and add rice and frozen mixed veggies, or Throw in boneless meat into the crock pot the night before along with veggies and rice and stew it for 18-24 hours. (I say boneless, because picking chicken bones out of hot soup is dreadful).

I like making the soup saturday night and spending Sunday's dinner prep time browning meat for the week, steaming rice, and making potatoes. I also prep the roast for Monday at that time. Frozen bags of ground meat and baking dishes with seasoned chicken all ready for the oven are great things to come home to.

How about regular fish stick for the kids one night and a nice salmon fillet seasoned and wrapped in foil for you. No smell if done on the BBQ. I also like ground meat, frozen mixed veggies and leftover rice scrambled in a stove top pot with either cumin and salt and pepper OR Not chicken bullion and butter with maybe a little thyme or oregeno. Cheese would always be a hit with the kids.

Desk-side snacks for me are tubs of berries, Nuts, bagged carrots, and I always have a protien shake in the morning with double the protien(chocolate) to get me started. Laura Bars are my friends mid day between appointments. I can scarf one down in no time flat if I need to. Keep hydrated too.

crampy girl Apprentice

My recommendation is to spend a little time this weekend coming up with a weekly menu and grocery list that is gluten free for the whole family. They can always add a little bread or cereal if they are missing the gluten. For the next month or two until you start feeling more comfortable with shopping and cooking this way, the family can handle having a weekly rotation menu. It helped me have some variety in my diet and kept me from feeling so down. I figuted out my breakfast, lunch and dinner so I always had leftovers for lunch the next day.

For example:

Monday: Roast chicken (prep the night before), veggies, potatoes (make double the amount you need).

Tuesday: Loaded omlette/scramble, (olives, salsa, ground turkey (left over from another night), cheese), OreIda hashbrowns (or toaster hashbrowns, but you need a new toaster), sliced apples and cinnamon

Wednesday: Chili, 2 cans kidney beans, 2 big cans diced tomatoes, LOTS of cumin, dried or fresh onion, salt & pepper, 1 lb. ground turkey, ( I add "notChicken" bullion cubes because I don't do MSG, dairy, or gluten which can be in other brands of bullion). You could leave the bullion out and add a little bit of garlic and a bit more salt and pepper. I like my chili mild, so this is without chili pepper, but you could add that too. I love to make a double recipe of this for freezing.

Thursday: BBQ chicken (in the oven to roast the easy way), Kraft has some gluten-free sauces, and Sweet Baby Ray's original and some other flavors are gluten-free. Veggies and Cheese, Ore-Ida Shoestring French Fries

Friday: Spagetti, Rice noodles (I like Tai Kitchen), Ragu (some flavors including my favorite super chunky mushroom are gluten-free), ground turkey, Kraft Parmasean (not the tub the kids smashed into the gluten pasta plate last month) Also hide the white noodles under sauce until the family eats the whole bowl. They won't notice a difference if it is the Tai Kitchen noodles.

Saturday: Taco night

Sunday: Soup: Chicken and rice 2 options here, Throw all the leftover meat from the week into the crock pot and add rice and frozen mixed veggies, or Throw in boneless meat into the crock pot the night before along with veggies and rice and stew it for 18-24 hours. (I say boneless, because picking chicken bones out of hot soup is dreadful).

I like making the soup saturday night and spending Sunday's dinner prep time browning meat for the week, steaming rice, and making potatoes. I also prep the roast for Monday at that time. Frozen bags of ground meat and baking dishes with seasoned chicken all ready for the oven are great things to come home to.

How about regular fish stick for the kids one night and a nice salmon fillet seasoned and wrapped in foil for you. No smell if done on the BBQ. I also like ground meat, frozen mixed veggies and leftover rice scrambled in a stove top pot with either cumin and salt and pepper OR Not chicken bullion and butter with maybe a little thyme or oregeno. Cheese would always be a hit with the kids.

Desk-side snacks for me are tubs of berries, Nuts, bagged carrots, and I always have a protien shake in the morning with double the protien(chocolate) to get me started. Laura Bars are my friends mid day between appointments. I can scarf one down in no time flat if I need to. Keep hydrated too.

Wow, thank you soooooo very much, your post made my mouth water! I did go to Pei wei out of deparation and there is an olive garden down the road. I will print off what you said and try it out!

crampy girl Apprentice

Huh? :unsure:

I

kareng Grand Master

The light Fraps now have gluten in some form. That's the short version of the Starbucks letter.

Archived