4 replies to this topic

#1 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

I just saw this episode last night. May have been a re-run. One of the items in the basket was frog's legs. They had a chef with a gluten allergy. Not sure if it really was celiac because they used the term allergy repeatedly. She coated the legs with wheat flour. Oddly she tried to fry some anchovies and she used tapioca starch for those. Didn't work. She just had a mess.

She was the first one chopped. I think partly because she admitted that her anchovies didn't work. They said she shouldn't have said this. However, they commented on her gluten allergy and said they were proud of her for using an ingredient she was allergic to.

Personally I think that was a stupid thing to have done. I just hope she didn't get sick from it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dante'sgirl

dante'sgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:36 AM

I just saw this episode last night. May have been a re-run. One of the items in the basket was frog's legs. They had a chef with a gluten allergy. Not sure if it really was celiac because they used the term allergy repeatedly. She coated the legs with wheat flour. Oddly she tried to fry some anchovies and she used tapioca starch for those. Didn't work. She just had a mess.

She was the first one chopped. I think partly because she admitted that her anchovies didn't work. They said she shouldn't have said this. However, they commented on her gluten allergy and said they were proud of her for using an ingredient she was allergic to.

Personally I think that was a stupid thing to have done. I just hope she didn't get sick from it.

I saw this too. I was very disappointed in what could have been a great opportunity to raise awareness. The chef claimed to be very into cooking gluten free and trying to show that allergen-friendly cooking could be delicious, yet at the first opportunity, she used gluten, making it appear as though it is impossible or at least difficult to prepare a high quality meal without gluten. While I admire her for attempting the show, I think she could have led a better example for educating other chefs and viewers on the disease and how awesome our food can be.

#3 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

It was a repeat, made me made all over again!
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#4 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

I didn't see that episode but by what I'm hearing it seems that she was just incredibly dumb. I have seen an episode where one chef was actually allergic to one of the secret ingredients...I think it was eggplants. I felt bad for the poor guy because they didn't even give him gloves for it. He didn't back down and continued on even though he was having a reaction with his hands.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:25 AM

I didn't see that episode but by what I'm hearing it seems that she was just incredibly dumb. I have seen an episode where one chef was actually allergic to one of the secret ingredients...I think it was eggplants. I felt bad for the poor guy because they didn't even give him gloves for it. He didn't back down and continued on even though he was having a reaction with his hands.

Wow! I'm glad I didn't see that one. Would make me mad. I'm going through a tough time right now with my cat. She has a thyroid problem and the med she is on for that can and did cause kidney problems. At least the vet thinks it is that. She'll be 18 in Oct. The cat. Not the vet. Anyway... She needs to be on a low phosphorus diet now.

I was reading in one of my cat books about kidney problems and it said a good thing to feed such a cat is cooked egg white because he helps pull out the excess phosphorus that can build up in the body.

The problem? I'm allergic to eggs. I have so far refused to cook them. Husband does make them in the microwave sometimes and I have bought hard boiled ones for daughter. She outgrew an egg allergy and just showed borderline for eggs so the Dr. said if she wanted them (she usually doesn't), to have them no more than once a week. Mainly she gets them in Udi's products or Crave, gluten-free cupcakes.

So I want to feed Maui the egg whites but am not sure I should do it. Before we knew of the kidney problems, she was not eating very much. I tried food after food to try to get her to eat but she still lost over a pound. I did buy a can of food with egg in it because I remembered that she loved eggs as a kitten. She did eat a few bites of the food. But then she licked me and I got a nasty rash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: