26 replies to this topic

#1 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:13 AM

I haven't been to a restaurant to eat in a long time. I had been glutened by two of the best restaurants in my city (one a 5 star place!) trying to eat out a few years ago so with the exception of a couple of takeouts from PF Changs over the last 6 years or so I have avoided trying anyplace else.
Well my DS is leaving for an out of state school next week and I really wanted to take him out to dinner. We have a pretty new place in town that is upscale and advertises gluten free food. We went last night. I am so glad I did. When I first looked at the menu I was like oh no! Everything had all these fancy sauces and there was no chance of the plain and boring broiled fish with baked potato that I figured I would order to be safe. The wait staff was fantastic though and really knowledgeable and even checked to make sure there was no soy. They even had 'homemade' gluten-free rolls. I did have broiled fish, snapper, but it was served on the best beans and greens I have had since I made them myelf and basil sauce. It was excellent.
It definately was not an 'inexpensive' meal but it was excellent. I will definately be trying this eating out more often now. Such a world of difference from just a few years ago.
Lesson I learned, talk to that wait staff before I go. If they sound confident that they can feed me safely I will go without fear. Perhaps I will even eat at my DD's wedding instead of just staring at my plate.

If your in the Finger Lakes area check out Halsey's in Geneva. Nice dining and they also do gluten free pizza if your not into something fancy. Don't expect to be able to get a burger though.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bluebonnet

bluebonnet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:45 AM

whoo hooo for you! how great it was for you to be able to "go for it" ... and without incident! i'm happy to hear you had a lovely meal with your DS. :) and since you posted, i'd like to say thanks for being so kind and helpful to everyone (myself included) here with giving advice and encouragement. we have a pf changs not too far from here ... i may have to check it out now. if YOU think its safe, it must be! lol :)

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:52 AM

Wow Ravenwood--I'm so happy that you were able to venture out for a meal and that you had such a great experience! :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:24 AM

What a joy that must have been for you :D

I am soooo happy that you had that wonderful experience!!
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:41 AM

whoo hooo for you! how great it was for you to be able to "go for it" ... and without incident! i'm happy to hear you had a lovely meal with your DS. :) and since you posted, i'd like to say thanks for being so kind and helpful to everyone (myself included) here with giving advice and encouragement. we have a pf changs not too far from here ... i may have to check it out now. if YOU think its safe, it must be! lol :)

Yes do check them out. I do have to say I only have had their food two or three times, I didn't get glutened but I did get soyed. However it was with take out and I didn't ask them about the soy. Just talk to the waitstaff first, with them being a big chain type place not all may be as good as the one near me.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:45 AM

Yea it was a big step for me. I'm soooo happy it was a good experience. It was a big step for me toward feeling like I am finally conquering this darn PTSD. My shrink will be really pleased I finally did it. :D

#7 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:51 AM

I have had LOTS of positive experiences at restaurants. There are MANY places out there that are very willing to accommodate you. I stick to the ones that have gluten-free menus, because then I know that they most likely know what they are talking about and have been trained on it. Most of the gluten-free menus I've seen have been created in conjunction with the gluten intolerance group, so you know they know what we can have (Now, gluten is the only thing I can't have, I don't have multiple things to avoid). I have only gotten sick ONE time, and that was at a restaurant that DID NOT have a gluten-free menu, but assured me they could make me something safe. I don't go to restaurants without a gluten-free menu anymore. There are plenty of choices, so why risk it?! I have only been gluten-free since April, but from talking to people it is very apparent that restaurants have changed A LOT even over the past few years. If nothing else, I guess I diagnosed at a good time with the gluten-free grocery food and restaurants with more awareness.

Happy to hear you had a great experience!
Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#8 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:53 AM

BRAVO!
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#9 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

So glad you ventured out! Eating out can always be scary but like you said, if you find a knowledgeable staff that can make you feel confident, then you can relax and have a good time and focus on conversation and having a good time instead of food.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#10 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:49 AM

That's great news!!! All these mini- and major-steps on the recovery pathway. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

That's wonderful - I'm so glad you had a lovely time!

#12 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

YEAH!! :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#13 Charlie's Girl

Charlie's Girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

I have been using the forum for several months now- searching for this and that and your name always pops up with helpful and kind insights. It is so nice to hear that things are getting better for you as it seems you have helped many other people get better. Cheers to many more dinners and milestones.

#14 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

And what a memorable experience that must have been for your son! A great send off!

I'm so glad that gluten-free is becoming an option throughout the U.S. My husband is doing some work right now in the U.K., and he says that all of the food is labeled there if it has gluten or doesn't. I hope we'll see that someday here!

I'm so happy for you, Ravenwoodglass!!!

#15 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

Congratulations! You should be proud, and I hope you can enjoy DD's wedding.

~Laura
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: