This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Using Probiotic Yogurt To Regular Stomach?

Cheryl-C

Cheryl-C Enthusiast

*This is a bit rambly, sorry*

I've been gluten-free for a while now, and while I'm still working out a few kinks, I have to say overall I feel a lot better. Yes!

One issue that remains, unfortunately, is a bowel issue. Before going gluten-free I swung back and forth between D and constipation. I wouldn't go for two, three, four days, and then WHAM and it would be exhausting (sometimes sudden, ugh) and generally unpleasant. Since going gluten-free I've found that I'm having more regular BMs and less bloating. Score!

I decided to start using probiotic yogurt (Yoplait Yoptimal 0%) to help clear out whatever might be "backed up" from almost 2 years of angry bowels. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday I ate one yogurt cup in the morning, with a pretty healthy-seeming BM immediately after. Good news, right? Yesterday I went out to eat so I didn't eat my yogurt, but I had really healthy food (steamed spinach, cottage cheese, vegging slices and fruit slices, gluten-free scone) and had some cramping but no D. When I got home, I had a regular BM.

Today, back on schedule, I had my yogurt - I didn't even get finished and had to go to the bathroom. It wasn't urgent-urgent, but there was a bit more cramping than previously. The BM was somewhere between normal and D. My stomach isn't too bad now but still a bit sore, like a stitch or pulled muscle or something. I'm also a bit bloated, like I'm not finished going except I don't feel like I need to go anymore, or that I could, if that makes sense.

I did some research and some websites claimed that probiotics might cause over-active bowel for the first while because it kicks your bowels into overdrive, clearing out the old stuff and startling its system. Other websites didn't mention anything about it at all.

So - do I keep eating the yogurt everyday? Do I reduce my intake but keep eating it periodically? Has anyone else experienced this? And no, dairy isn't usually a problem for me - I'm a cheese fiend without issues. Sorry this was long, I'm just a bit confused. :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

What are the ingredients? I can't seem to find the ingredients on line. The reason I am asking is I am wondering if there is a sugar alcohol in this product. Some folks have issues with those. Or there could be another ingredient that your body doesn't like.

I generally eat regular Yoplait which is labeled as gluten free and have no issues. If you think you might be having an issue with the product you could try dropping it or switching to a different one for a bit and see if it makes a difference. If your eating cheese with no problems then I agree you shouldn't be having an issue with yogurt.

Could you have maybe gotten CC'd somewhere else? Sometimes our reactions can be delayed and if your having other glutened symptoms that might be the case.

my3monkees Rookie

I buy the Probiotic Pearls for my daughter. She can't have any dairy, and was having alot of problems earlier this summer. So I have been giving her those and fiber gummies, as I thought some extra fiber might help. Those have worked well for her. Just a thought in case you can't keep eating the yogurt.

missceliac2010 Apprentice

So - do I keep eating the yogurt everyday? Do I reduce my intake but keep eating it periodically? Has anyone else experienced this?

I tried the daily pro-biotic route at some point in my life. I found that it just drained my wallet and didn't do much good. I now just eat a soy yogurt once a day, but even that I am bad about remembering. If I start having tummy problems, yogurt is the first thing I turn to. Maybe it's in my head, maybe it's proven science, but it makes me feel better! Go with your gut! Good luck!

Archived