This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn Intolerance

anabananakins

anabananakins Explorer

I have begun to wonder about my reactions to corn. One of the funniest and most amazing things about going gluten free for me was discovering it wasn't normal to have a stomach ache after ever meal (who knew? I thought that was how you knew you were full :blink: )

I guess of the refined carbs I've been eating corn has become a lot bigger part of my diet. Lately I have found that I get a bit of a stomach ache and feel a bit queasy after eating corn chips, corn tortillas and corn thins. I was ok with canned corn kernals in soup, and don't seem to have any problems with small amounts of corn starch as thickeners in products. It wouldn't be the richness (oily-ness I mean) of the foods because I'm fine with everything else).

Does this sound like any one else's intolerance to corn or could my symptoms just be coincidence? Are there any straightforward tests that could be done? If it's like lactose intolerance and just having less is good enough then I'm fine with that - it's not like corn chips are particularly good for me anyway - but the hidden starches, agh! I don't know if I'm up for another round of eliminating products from my life!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I have begun to wonder about my reactions to corn. One of the funniest and most amazing things about going gluten free for me was discovering it wasn't normal to have a stomach ache after ever meal (who knew? I thought that was how you knew you were full :blink: )

I guess of the refined carbs I've been eating corn has become a lot bigger part of my diet. Lately I have found that I get a bit of a stomach ache and feel a bit queasy after eating corn chips, corn tortillas and corn thins. I was ok with canned corn kernals in soup, and don't seem to have any problems with small amounts of corn starch as thickeners in products. It wouldn't be the richness (oily-ness I mean) of the foods because I'm fine with everything else).

Does this sound like any one else's intolerance to corn or could my symptoms just be coincidence? Are there any straightforward tests that could be done? If it's like lactose intolerance and just having less is good enough then I'm fine with that - it's not like corn chips are particularly good for me anyway - but the hidden starches, agh! I don't know if I'm up for another round of eliminating products from my life!

I knew corn was a problem before I realized about gluten even. Over the years I have refined it down and delineated that it is a lectin problem I have, and the lectins are contained in the skin of the kernel of corn. So anything where the whole kernel is ground will do me in (like masa harina - got me last night because of careless label reading: the label said "masa corn flour" and since cornflour is cornstarch in New Zealand my eye just passed by the masa part.) Got me good, I might add, and it was in rice chips of all things, my first snack food in almost three months :( . Ended up in ER with atrial fibrillation again, only this time I got the diagnosis instead of just suffering for 4-5 hours at home.

Anyways, my point of this post is that I have found that I can tolerate small amounts of corn starch in cooking, whether my own or commercial, without any harm that I am aware of - no outward symptoms. Which is good for me because I can't do potato starch or soy flour. I guess the more refined the corn is the fewer lectins it contains. :) But put that yellow fibrous skin in there and I'm a gonna. The point of the lectins being in the skin - they are the plant's natural protection against insect predation.

anabananakins Explorer

Ended up in ER with atrial fibrillation again, only this time I got the diagnosis instead of just suffering for 4-5 hours at home.

Oh no! I am so sorry you had such a reaction but I guess good you got the diagnosis. There's something wrong though about how we all take consolation in such things - would be so much nicer to find out faster.

Anyways, my point of this post is that I have found that I can tolerate small amounts of corn starch in cooking, whether my own or commercial, without any harm that I am aware of - no outward symptoms. Which is good for me because I can't do potato starch or soy flour. I guess the more refined the corn is the fewer lectins it contains. :) But put that yellow fibrous skin in there and I'm a gonna. The point of the lectins being in the skin - they are the plant's natural protection against insect predation.

Thanks for this, interesting about the lectins. I think I need to experiment with fresh corn because it seems so far like my problem is with the middle amount of refinement (corn meal bad, corn starch fine, canned corn fine) which doesn't make sense. I haven't had fresh corn in years - I wonder if the soaking in the canned corn made it ok?

cassP Contributor

One of the funniest and most amazing things about going gluten free for me was discovering it wasn't normal to have a stomach ache after ever meal (who knew? I thought that was how you knew you were full :blink: )

omg! i had this exact same thought last night- i was always in such discomfort after eating out- and just assumed that it was my fault for eating too much- my punishment. and last night it dawned on me- that i can feel normal now after eating out (without the gluten) :)

and corn- sometimes it bothers me, sometimes it doesnt. the last time i had my favourite rice/bean/corn tortilla chips- i had SEVERE allergy attack <_<

but ya- it's not surprising- Corn is one of the top listed allergens in general along with soy, wheat, peanut, dairy.

so, you might have a corn issue.

lucia Enthusiast

It sounds like you've already identified corn as an issue. Try eliminating it to see how you feel off it. Make sure that you completely eliminate it for a substantial period of time, at least one week, before you make any decisions about how it effects you.

I was shocked when I eliminated corn to discover that not only did my stomach stop getting queasy when I ate it, but my neuropathic pain receded. I have serious neurological reactions to corn!

Don't underestimate corn! And, unfortunately, it's in many, many processed foods (much like gluten), because corn crops are so heavily subsidized in this country. Michael Pollan (who wrote "Omnivore's Dilemma") says Americans eat so much corn that we're all biochemically like walking corn cobs.

cassP Contributor

PLUS usually corn is Genetically Modified :angry:

AND- this is weird, but i was on the phone with whoever makes Advil the other day- just double checking if there was gluten before i bought it- and she read off the ingredients- now maybe she was confused- but i heard "Gluten"- and i was like "WAIT- WHAT??" and she clarified that the ingredient was: Gluten (corn).

what the h is that?? maybe she was confused. ??

there's a website called Glutenology i think- and they're very "alarmist". they posted an article once saying how when they first did the studies on gluten- they only studied a few grains, but ignored the others. i dont know about that. i definitely think a lot of us are intolerant to most grains, but i try not to read their stuff now- i dont need all that anxiety

anabananakins Explorer
omg! i had this exact same thought last night- i was always in such discomfort after eating out- and just assumed that it was my fault for eating too much- my punishment. and last night it dawned on me- that i can feel normal now after eating out (without the gluten) :)

I thought the same - and I was always aware of my stomach (not just because it's pudgy!). Now it's just another part of my body, it's not announcing discomfort 24 hours a day.

Michael Pollan (who wrote "Omnivore's Dilemma") says Americans eat so much corn that we're all biochemically like walking corn cobs.

I have that book on my shelf, I guess I should read it :) One thing I have in my favour (I think) is that I'm in australia, corn isn't such a big crop here and manufacturers don't add corn or corn syrup to everything. But corn starch as a thickener is still in plenty of things, especially when you're avoiding our biggest crop, wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived