This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Bad Gas Bad Life

rose.88

rose.88 Newbie

Hi everyone

My problem is GASES !!!!!!!!! HORRIBLE GASES .. its soooooo embarrassing that I cannot do anything in my life ! I cant study or work because I just cant sit in one place without passing gas ! My life is completely ruined and nobody gets it even my family! I had to drop out of college and leave my friends :( I have no social life .. no career .. nothing!

I have this problem since 8 months now ! I saw many doctors and all of them told me I have IBS they just thought that I have emotional problems and depression! But one of them asked me to try dairy free diet then do lactose tolerance test. So I tried the diet for 4 days and haven

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Looking for answers Contributor

Hi everyone

My problem is GASES !!!!!!!!! HORRIBLE GASES .. its soooooo embarrassing that I cannot do anything in my life ! I cant study or work because I just cant sit in one place without passing gas ! My life is completely ruined and nobody gets it even my family! I had to drop out of college and leave my friends :( I have no social life .. no career .. nothing!

I have this problem since 8 months now ! I saw many doctors and all of them told me I have IBS they just thought that I have emotional problems and depression! But one of them asked me to try dairy free diet then do lactose tolerance test. So I tried the diet for 4 days and haven

uafnanook2001 Newbie

Hi everyone

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I think there are a lot of us who can identify with your problem. Between the stomach rumbling so loud you could hear it across the room and the constant 'toots' I felt like a one man band at times.

The advice to get a good probiotic is a good one. Eat simply, which it sounds like you are doing, but do add some well cooked veggies or fruits to your meals for good nutrition. Stay away from sodas and carbonated beverages for now and if you eat or drink anything with sugar alcohols or sugar substitutes stop for a bit. Check any supplements or meds for gluten. Meds should be checked with the maker as your doctor won't know if they are gluten free. Also watch out for cross contamination. It can take some time to heal but you will and once you do the gas should go away.

cassP Contributor

it will NOT all go away in 2 days- of course u will feel A LOT better in 2 days- but it takes a while for your digestive system to heal and be able to digest even gluten free foods-

i had gone on and off this diet in the past- it always took me a good 3 weeks to not be in gassy pain most of the time! i feel much better now- but keep in mind- u could have other intolerances whether temporary or permanent. some of us cant do dairy, or soy, or corn... but everyone's different.

i also have a Fructose problem- and now that ive eliminated certain fruits- i am MUCH MUCH happier.

i was doing GREAT- and then last night i made gluten free cupcakes- stomach ache and gas this morning- (some of us do better on little or no grains)

u also may want to research about SIBO

lots of people here can help u on this journey! dont lose heart- it takes more than a few days- u will feel better soon :)

kayo Explorer

I can relate! It will go away but it will take time. It's possible you could have additional intolerances as that is pretty common with all of us, celiac or non-celiac. I'm intolerant to soy which makes being dairy free a bit trickier since soy is the perfect non-dairy solution, but there are others. A good probiotic and digestive enzyme will help. Keep a food diary. This will help you narrow down the suspects. I too had SIBO and I have issues with fructose (apples, pears, etc.) and fructans (onions, garlic, shallots, etc.) I'm just now at a point in my diet where I have very little gas. It takes time. Be patient and focus on the little victories. You can do it!

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I reached a point before my diagnosis, I couldn't stand to be around myself. First I was diagnosed with a milk allergy and cut out all dairy. That didn't do it, but when the celiac was diagnosed, things got a lot better over a 3-6 month period. I found I needed to stay away from dairy as well. I do not have a nut allergy, but find that for my body, peanuts are a trigger for the stinkies. I still have gas, but after 2 years gluten, dairy, and egg free, the smell is gone or something I can get away with around my husband. Even the slightest bit of gluten will set my body off for weeks. I hope that you can give the gluten/casin free diet a solid effort for at least 6 months (hopefully that will convince you for a lifetime). This website is a great resource for information and support. Good luck and hang in there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

srall Contributor

I will just be another person that chimes in and says...yes this sounds similar to my symptoms. Now I never have bad stomach problems or feel gassy at all. The only time I had a problem was when I was on vacation a month ago and kept drinking soy lattes from Starbucks...then the gas was pretty awful and foul (tmi...sorry). I've since dropped soy and coffee (and have been lactose free as long as gluten free). I think you'll find that you need to baby your system for awhile, and start to explore new foods. I'm at the point where my diet is so pure, that if I eat anything processed I swear I can taste chemicals. Give it time and GOOD LUCK.

srall Contributor

Oh and one other thing. You may notice many other symptoms you never would have thought were related to diet clear up too. Even last night as I was lying in bed reading it occured to me that since I've been gluten free my hands and forearms never go numb anymore from holding the book too long. I haven't had a cold sore in 5 months and other even more embarrassing issues have cleared up. The main ones you'll notice right away, if you are following the diet meant for you, is no more headaches, brain fog, fatigue. Although I have to say sometimes I still have off days seemingly unrelated to being glutened. It takes a long time but it is so worth it. It is absolutely life changing in a positive way.

rose.88 Newbie

Many thaaanks guys Im really glad to see all these advices and comments :) I will keep them in mind. Now Im taking probiotics ( acidophilus ), multivitamins and lactase enzyme I dont know if I have fructose or other problems so for now I will stick to the gluten/lactose free diet and hope that my gases will go away for good :')

rose.88 Newbie

Have you been on antibiotics in the past year? I recommend strictly following the diet, but also taking good quality digestive enzymes with each meal and probiotics.

NO I havent! but I used to take panadol almost everyday because I had headaches But not anymore ! Im taking probiotics and vitamins :) so all I have to do is wait and see

MelindaLee Contributor

Even last night as I was lying in bed reading it occured to me that since I've been gluten free my hands and forearms never go numb anymore from holding the book too long.

I have been gluten free for 2 weeks...I will have to test this theory and see if my hands stop going numb! So many symptoms I thought was just from turning 40 that now seem to be related to gluten!

srall Contributor

Melinda, I am 42 and for YEARS have blamed my fatigue and symptoms on age, stress, motherhood, etc.

If I'm having a good day (because there are still bad days) I feel 20. Keep going...you are going to feel so much better! You may have to drop some other foods too before you get there, but when you do you'll feel great.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have been gluten free for 2 weeks...I will have to test this theory and see if my hands stop going numb! So many symptoms I thought was just from turning 40 that now seem to be related to gluten!

Yep. Gluten sure does make us old before our time. I'm 54 and feel the 'youngest' now that I have since I was a child. All those things I had to stop doing like dancing, bike riding and long walks by the lake are now once again a part of life. It does take a while to heal though so be patient with your body. We didn't get sick overnight (though for some it can seem like we did) and we don't heal overnight either.

Try some sublingual B12 to speed the disappearance of the numbness. It may help a lot.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Oh and one other thing. You may notice many other symptoms you never would have thought were related to diet clear up too. Even last night as I was lying in bed reading it occured to me that since I've been gluten free my hands and forearms never go numb anymore from holding the book too long. I haven't had a cold sore in 5 months and other even more embarrassing issues have cleared up. The main ones you'll notice right away, if you are following the diet meant for you, is no more headaches, brain fog, fatigue. Although I have to say sometimes I still have off days seemingly unrelated to being glutened. It takes a long time but it is so worth it. It is absolutely life changing in a positive way.

I was having 9-10 migraines a month! I haven't had one since going gluten-free! Hang in there, I'm going into my 4th month gluten-free. A great tip they gave me here is to keep a food diary. It will help you figure out if other foods bother you. I found out I cannot do tomatos.Hang in there!

Archived