arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

Night Sweats

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you have night sweats? (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have night sweats?

1. Yes, all the time. (79 votes [59.85%])

Percentage of vote: 59.85%

2. Only when glutened. (38 votes [28.79%])

Percentage of vote: 28.79%

3. No. (15 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:16 AM

I'm just wondering how many people have night sweats. I have them mildly every night (only since Celiac's began). they have gotten better since going gluten-free (when I get golutened, I literally soak the bed). I'm wondering if they go away eventually or if there's a supplement I should be taking that might help. I'm only 38 and my doctor assures me it's not menopause.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 judy05

judy05

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:36 AM

Berneses,

Have you had your cholesterol checked? When my daughter was younger (30's)
she had them and got tested and found her cholesterol was elevated, she changed her diet and her numbers dropped.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#3 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:57 PM

No- I'm actually having it checked this week. That's good to know. Thanks!

#4 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:00 PM

I used to get them so bad I had to put a plastic cover on my mattress and would wake up in a puddle of sweat an inch or more deep :blink: . Since going gluten-free I haven't had them at all except for one time I got glutened.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#5 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:13 AM

Yes!Before going gluten-free my hubbie used to get them terrible!
He would have to get up and change his t-shirt and put a towel on the mattress to lay on.Since going gluten-free it's only happened a couple of times,nowhere near as bad though.
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#6 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:32 AM

I got them ALL the time before I was diagnosed. Since being gluten-free (1 1/2 years) I do not get night sweats anymore. ;)
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#7 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:53 AM

Thanks Everyone- it helps to know all this! Beverly

#8 DOCKLEARFAN

DOCKLEARFAN

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:28 AM

A couple of years ago I got them every once in a while...But I never connected them to being Glutened!
However, looking back that was probably the reason.

Good topic Berneses!

#9 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:05 PM

Thanks! I get them so bad when glutened but I also get them mildly on a regualr basis and I'm just trying to figure it all out!

#10 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:08 PM

I have them all the time. Bloodwork shows that my hormone levels are changing with perimenopause, so that is what causes mine.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#11 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:38 PM

Hugh, that's interesting... I've never had full-blown sweats perhaps, but I always get hot at night, while my husband is on the other side with a heated blanket. I don't get hot during the day though...its weird.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,707 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:17 AM

I'm just wondering how many people have night sweats. I have them mildly every night (only since Celiac's began). they have gotten better since going gluten-free (when I get golutened, I literally soak the bed). I'm wondering if they go away eventually or if there's a supplement I should be taking that might help. I'm only 38 and my doctor assures me it's not menopause.

Please see your gyno, I started perimenopause at about your age and by 41 my periods had stopped. I was told it (the peri) was 'in my head', just like my IBS, fibromyalgia and incontinence. Everything has resolved in the 2 years since diagnosis and my gyno told me he sees signs my periods may start again. (at 48!) Stay gluten-free and talk to your doctor.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#13 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:26 AM

Thanks- that's good to know as I'm 37 and haven't had kids yet. But lately, I've noticed something interesting. I've been house sitiing for the last three weeks and they have much lighter bedding (I have a light down comforter at home but maybe it's too much- I used to be cold ALL the time before I went gluten-free) and I haven't been sweating so I think it's time to buy some new bedding and see what happens. But you're right, I should see my gynecologist because I don't want to find myself in a situation where I CAN"T have kids. What exactly did you experience during perimenpause? You can email me anytime.

#14 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:42 AM

Yes, before going gluten-free and now when glutened.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#15 Guest_marshlakemom_*

Guest_marshlakemom_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:26 AM

Ummm, this is very interesting. I went through a bad spell of sweating during the day and night that ended about a week ago. I never put it down to gluten though. I am only 8 months off a one year taper off of a 25 year use of antidepressants and benzodiazapines, and 55 years old, so didn't know if it was benzo w/d or menopause. Who knows. But I will surely keep track of my gluten intake and watch the sweating thing. I also have horrible problems with insomnia, and have for years, and never put it down to gluten either. I live in Northern Canada, and have a terrible time finding gluten-free products, have to stick pretty much to meat and potatoes. It seems that gluten is in everything.

On the subject of withdrawing from benzos. For any of you out there who are using Ativan or any other benzo for sleep, PLEASE PLEASE, be careful. They are so very addictive, and the w/d is hell on earth. I will never touch another one as long as I live. They almost cost me my life.

Deb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: