This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Night Sweats

Guest BERNESES

Do you have night sweats?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest BERNESES

I'm just wondering how many people have night sweats. I have them mildly every night (only since Celiac's began). they have gotten better since going gluten-free (when I get golutened, I literally soak the bed). I'm wondering if they go away eventually or if there's a supplement I should be taking that might help. I'm only 38 and my doctor assures me it's not menopause.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
judy05 Apprentice

Berneses,

Have you had your cholesterol checked? When my daughter was younger (30's)

she had them and got tested and found her cholesterol was elevated, she changed her diet and her numbers dropped.

Guest BERNESES

No- I'm actually having it checked this week. That's good to know. Thanks!

ianm Apprentice

I used to get them so bad I had to put a plastic cover on my mattress and would wake up in a puddle of sweat an inch or more deep :blink: . Since going gluten-free I haven't had them at all except for one time I got glutened.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Yes!Before going gluten-free my hubbie used to get them terrible!

He would have to get up and change his t-shirt and put a towel on the mattress to lay on.Since going gluten-free it's only happened a couple of times,nowhere near as bad though.

jaimek Enthusiast

I got them ALL the time before I was diagnosed. Since being gluten-free (1 1/2 years) I do not get night sweats anymore. ;)

Guest BERNESES

Thanks Everyone- it helps to know all this! Beverly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice

A couple of years ago I got them every once in a while...But I never connected them to being Glutened!

However, looking back that was probably the reason.

Good topic Berneses!

Guest BERNESES

Thanks! I get them so bad when glutened but I also get them mildly on a regualr basis and I'm just trying to figure it all out!

plantime Contributor

I have them all the time. Bloodwork shows that my hormone levels are changing with perimenopause, so that is what causes mine.

jenvan Collaborator

Hugh, that's interesting... I've never had full-blown sweats perhaps, but I always get hot at night, while my husband is on the other side with a heated blanket. I don't get hot during the day though...its weird.

• 4 weeks later...
ravenwoodglass Mentor
I'm just wondering how many people have night sweats. I have them mildly every night (only since Celiac's began). they have gotten better since going gluten-free (when I get golutened, I literally soak the bed). I'm wondering if they go away eventually or if there's a supplement I should be taking that might help. I'm only 38 and my doctor assures me it's not menopause.

Please see your gyno, I started perimenopause at about your age and by 41 my periods had stopped. I was told it (the peri) was 'in my head', just like my IBS, fibromyalgia and incontinence. Everything has resolved in the 2 years since diagnosis and my gyno told me he sees signs my periods may start again. (at 48!) Stay gluten-free and talk to your doctor.

Guest BERNESES

Thanks- that's good to know as I'm 37 and haven't had kids yet. But lately, I've noticed something interesting. I've been house sitiing for the last three weeks and they have much lighter bedding (I have a light down comforter at home but maybe it's too much- I used to be cold ALL the time before I went gluten-free) and I haven't been sweating so I think it's time to buy some new bedding and see what happens. But you're right, I should see my gynecologist because I don't want to find myself in a situation where I CAN"T have kids. What exactly did you experience during perimenpause? You can email me anytime.

frenchiemama Collaborator

Yes, before going gluten-free and now when glutened.

Guest marshlakemom

Ummm, this is very interesting. I went through a bad spell of sweating during the day and night that ended about a week ago. I never put it down to gluten though. I am only 8 months off a one year taper off of a 25 year use of antidepressants and benzodiazapines, and 55 years old, so didn't know if it was benzo w/d or menopause. Who knows. But I will surely keep track of my gluten intake and watch the sweating thing. I also have horrible problems with insomnia, and have for years, and never put it down to gluten either. I live in Northern Canada, and have a terrible time finding gluten-free products, have to stick pretty much to meat and potatoes. It seems that gluten is in everything.

On the subject of withdrawing from benzos. For any of you out there who are using Ativan or any other benzo for sleep, PLEASE PLEASE, be careful. They are so very addictive, and the w/d is hell on earth. I will never touch another one as long as I live. They almost cost me my life.

Deb

louiesgirl2 Rookie
<_< I live with hot flashes and night sweats. They went away for a while, however, are back with a vengence, worse than before.
Guest BERNESES

Marshlakemom- Yep, I recently cut down on a benzo and at first it wasn't so bad but then I got to a certain dosage and I cut down just .25 mg and had horrible muscle spasms through my entire body so i stopped cutting down for now. They do their job, but getting off is next to impossible.

cgilsing Enthusiast

I've had night sweats as long as I can remember (probably had celiac disease too, but wasn't diagnosed) It doesn't really bother me as much because I'm used to it, but my husband won't let me get near him when I sleep because he says I'm too hot. In fact he says he can tell when I'm starting to fall asleep because I "pre-heat" :lol: The weird thing is the only other person I've talked to with the same issue is my mom. She refuses to get tested but I really think she should. (She has multiple celiac disease symptoms). I guess my dad has the same complaints about her when she sleeps.

Guest BERNESES

Sounds familiar- my husband can suck the curtains off the windows with his snoring (his whole family- try going away with them for aweekend! :blink: ) but he usually comes to bed later than me and for some reason his snoring doesn't bother me. But he says that when he climbs into bed he can literally feel the heat coming off me.

It's been much better lately since I lightened up the blankets and keep the fan on me. My doctor says I'm OK (saw her Friday) just sometimes as we get older our temperatures start fluctuating. It's only perimenopause if there are other symptoms like changes in menstrual cycle, mood swings, hot flashes during the day, etc and now that it seems to be subsiding, I'm less concerned.

• 3 weeks later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

BERNESES - I had the same problem. It was my THYROID out of wack from being sick to other things. Now I know can't do corn, potatoes, or rice. Took 4 years to find out and did majr damage to colon and etc.

BERNESES have your THYROID LEVELS checked. You might be suprised...

Guest BERNESES

Oh my gosh! You have been through so much. You are surely a strong person.

Thanks for the advice. I did have my thyroid checked and it was fine. My primary care just sid sometimes we go through periods where we are hotter at night than others and actually, it's stopped (except when glutened). Thank God! It was pretty horrible for awhile there. Thanks, B

Guest marshlakemom

Hi Everybody

My sweats are just awful, they come during the day as well. This has been going on now for about 6 weeks, and it is driving me nutso. I went through a entire year tapering off of benzodiapines, and thought I was through the worst of it. I went through absolute hell, thought I was going to die. If any of you are any sort of benzo, please consider getting off by doing a very slow taper. You will hit tolerance to it eventually, and that is a real nightmare. That is what happened to me. Then I HAD to start a taper. My benzo forum tells me the sweating is quite common in post benzo tapering, but I am also wondering if it is a mixture of benzo w/drawal, gluten or maybe the horrible MENOPAUSE. I thought I had gone through menopause, but now I am wondering if maybe I was just in perimenopause. Took HRT for several years, and I don't remember having these horrible sweats. I had a hysterectomny years ago, so can't use my menstual cycle as a guide to perhaps my entering into menopause. Think I will just keep it a a bit more time and see where this takes me. I have been very diligent in watching my gluten intake for about three weeks now, so don't really think it is gluten. My insomnia has been a problem for me for over twenty years, and see no improvement in it at all. I sometimes get absolutely zero sleep for days on end, and most nights I will get maybe 3 hours intermitently.

Any opinions anybody.

Deborah

Guest BERNESES

Deborah- You should talk to your primary. There are plenty of good sleep meds you can take that are not benzos. I took one (let me think- I've been on so much crap I can't remember the name)- Ahh... trazodone was it and it worked well. Some of the newer ones like Ambien and Lunestra are supposed to be good too. You NEED sleep! Really.

Ms SillyYak Screwed- Just had my thyroid levels checked again on Tuesday as I'm still getting sick and have had my period three times in the last six weeks. Ugh! PMS times 3. Just what I need! I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the advice, Beverly

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Yeah....I got crazy night sweats all the time. I would wake up totally soaked, hair, clothes, sheets, pillows...everything. It was like someone poured a bucket of water on me. It hardly happens now that I changed my diet. I don't know if I have celiac disease yet but the night sweats return the same time other symptoms return...probably when I've had gluten. I sometimes get numbness in my hands, arms and feet along with the night sweats. It sucks to wake up and have to change clothes all the time :angry: .

-Rachel

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

I believe there is a very strong link between having gyno hormones and thyroid hormone working properly.

I was given a double dose of HRT by accident by my gyno doc. It threw my body in to major shock.

I stopped HRT at the same time I developed Celiac and as a result my thyroid problem now. I eat strict gluten & dairy free for 4 years (I'm so intolerent I have seizures) However, I did eat CORN, RICE and POTATOES okay. Then with major stress bla bla bla stressed me out totally. I thought I was doing okay then out of nowhere B-A-M! It came back and hit with a vengence this time. No more CORN, RICE and POTATOES. I'll really miss you... Bye Bye! Since, I have developed more and more food allergies with time. I wonder how I can thrive?

Is it only :angry: woman, or are :blink: men :wacko: experiencing the night sweats problems? :huh:

Archived