This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Night Sweats

Guest BERNESES

Do you have night sweats?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mr J Rookie
My son had both these symptomes,and both are much better now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

aha, i'm not alone with these symptoms then

just about every post since my post indicating it was a candida prob for me have fitted in with the candida connection. Eating carbs feeds the candida. Its possible to cull the candida and then enjoy the carbs again.

cheers,

Mr J

from page 3 of this thread:

I used to get nightsweats. The pattern was require plenty of bedcovers to get warm enough to sleep, then wake up in early hours of the morning extremely hot and sweating profusely. Would need to get out of bed cool down with my shirt off, then go back to bed and get some sleep.

The dissappearance of the nightsweats coincided with clearing candida out of my intestines. I posted on this subject on the related disorders forum.

I was able to get rid of the nightsweats long before I realised i was gluten intolerant and went gluten-free, so the two things are separable. However theoretically they are linked - having a gluten damaged digestive/intestinal system would make me more susceptible to candida.

Being starved of energy has meant that during the day i'm most likely to be cold. Being cold in the day has persisted  for the last 10 years or so.

cheers,

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BERNESES

I bought a new comforter and my night sweats are almost gone (cotton- not down) but there is so CLEARLY something else going on with me. I am really starting to think that it's a candida problem. I read somewhere (I forget where) that excess mold in your house can cause an overgrowth in the digestive system and trigger a gluten intolerance. I'm really starting to wonder (and be scared) that all this has something to do with my apartment.

• 2 weeks later...
tiffjake Enthusiast

I am new to this whole thing, so I am still putting all of the bit together, but I do get VERY HOT at night. I sleep with one of those tornado fans on the nightstand blowing right on me, and I still wake up really really hot, like I am burning up from the inside. I am only 23, and have no kids or anything like that. I had no idea that this might be a celiac symptom. Thanks for sharing guys!!!! TiffJake

Hugh, that's interesting...  I've never had full-blown sweats perhaps, but I always get hot at night, while my husband is on the other side with a heated blanket.  I don't get hot during the day though...its weird.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest BERNESES

OK- now I'm CONVINCED that this has something to do with my apartment (welcome to the Amittyville Horror). I spent a week at my in-laws- no night sweats, didn't need phenergan for nausea, much better appetite, much better mood (until I got glutened at an Indian restaurant). Now I'm back in my apartment and the night sweats are back, the nausea is back and the freezing cold feeling is back.

I think it's mold exacerbating my symptoms. So that would be a candioda connection, right? So how do I starve this evil beast? I know, no carbs (right now I eat rice and occasional gluten free desserts), no sugar (ugh- that's tough- I LOVE my chocolate). I see the allergist today so I'll let you know what I find out. Looks like we're moving though!

Mr J Rookie
....I think it's mold exacerbating my symptoms. So that would be a candioda connection, right?

... So how do I starve this evil beast? I know, no carbs (right now I eat rice and occasional gluten free desserts), no sugar (ugh- that's tough- I LOVE my chocolate)....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello Berneses, when i first experienced the worst symptoms i was exposed to a hi mould environemnt, background to that at the bottom of this page

https://www.celiac.com/index.php?s...opic=9799&st=15

however its not the same mould as candida albicans, what i think happens is that it breaks down the bodies immune system to mould in general thus allowing the candida that should live in small quantities in the intestine to grow out of control. thats my understanding anyway

unless giving up carbs for life is acceptable that won't work as a permanent solution, symtoms will abate with the carb elimination and quickly come back when carbs re-introduced. Same for any other cure i find. The only acceptable thing for me is to take daily probiotics (in the morning before brekky), daily herb capsule (after evening meal), and several times per day a digestive enzyme called "No Phenol" by Houston enzymes. That way i can eat carbs. But basically i think i am susceptible to it for life, therefore will never be able to stop this regimen. I'd much rather keep up this daily anti candida intake than give up carbs and all 3 of the things i mentioned serve other purposes too so its not as if i'm taking them just for candida.

candida is quite hard to get rid of, my experiences with failure and success here.

https://www.celiac.com/index.php?showtopic=10274

cheers,

Mr J

Guest BERNESES

Thanks Mr. J- Hope you're enjoying Thailand! I'm so jealous- it's my dream trip (well one of two- the other is Nepal). I'm going to try taking a better probiotic, I've also been taking InsteniNEW but not religiously so maybe I need to do some butt-kicking in the supplement department.

Thanks for all your help- eat lots of Thai for me and enjoy being with your wife! Best, Beverly

Mr J Rookie
Thanks Mr. J- Hope you're enjoying Thailand! I'm so jealous- it's my dream trip (well one of two- the other is Nepal). I'm going to try taking a better probiotic, I've also been taking InsteniNEW but not religiously so maybe I need to do some butt-kicking in the supplement department.

Thanks for all your help- eat lots of Thai for me and enjoy being with your wife! Best, Beverly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i returned from thailand some weeks ago and did enjoy it thanks.

on the subject of supplements: altho carbs are a significant proportion of my intake, i don't wish to give the impression that all is well with me provided i use those 3 simple supplements. i am able to enjoy carbs and thai food too, but have to take in an enormous amount of supplements - mainly digestive enzymes - to remain comfortable and functioning. i also can't eat very much and have to separate carbs from protein to achieve good digestion - this is something you would benefit from too - for instance if i have a protein evening meal with no carbs at all and then a late night snak of pure carbs i will get better digestion and a better nights sleep than if i attempted to mix them all in one meal. i take in a lot of proteases with protein meals and amylases with carb meals and fiber digesting No Phenol with everything - this enzyme splits open and digests yeast!

available here

http://houstonni.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...re_Code=HNI-USA

i get protease (Peptizyde), amylase (ZymePrime) from there too, other zymes from various sources

recently started using "New Chapter All-Flora" probiotics, dairy free (cultured in soy) bought from my local Whole Foods store in USA, i take it first thing upon getting up some time before brekky with a full glass of water to flush it into the gut before the stomach acids get operated by food - 1/2 tsp supposedly gives 8 billion friendly bacteria!

i get up, flush some bacteria into my gut, go for a bit of bike ride, then eat. In the evening i have my protein meal and do a bit of skateboarding - this activity promotes digestion as it is low impact and a lot less boring for me than just walking, and good for my mental health. this prepares me nicely for my late nite carb snak. i don't skateboard when its raining, but it doesn't rain much in silicon valley, but i have to be careful with this coz malnutrition has impaired my bone density

i'm being investigated for an a disease which impairs pancreas - something must be wrong there coz i need a vast amount of enzymes to stay comfortable - the rigidness of my eating schedule drives me nuts at times, but i try to turn the enforced discipline into something more enjoyable by purchasing all these nice little tiny chinese tea and condiment cups. The monk who blesses my wife and i seems to have similar digestive issues and i got the idea from watching him - being a monk things are even more difficult as his religeon forbids him from eating after midday.

So i line up an ornamental set of beatiful tiny cups on a decorative bar (came as a set) and another set on a matching plate - bought from china town Bangkok, in one i have my proteaze, another my fiber zymes, another contains lipases, some pancreatin, multi-vit and stinking (but to me delicous) fermented shrimp paste condiment, super hot chilli sauce condiments etc. it all helps to keep my appetite up and promote good digestion altho i realise would look a bit ridiculous, but my wife doesn't mind - paradoxically despite my difficulties with eating her hobby is cooking so anything that helps keep me digestively happy she encourages

cheers,

Mr J

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

Wow- you've got a lot going on there! I think the No Phenol might be a good thing for me. I'll check it out. I know I need to start exercising too- I did yoga religiously up until I had to do the gluten challenge for the biopsy back in April (I had been gluten-free for two months at that point). I swear to God the gluten challenge wrecked me. Anyway, I just feel like I have no energy to exercise but you know what they say about a body in motion. :D

jknnej Collaborator

Ok, so what's this about mold?

I started night sweats in July after never having them before. I'm 29 and I've had my thyroid, hormones, sugars, vitamins, etc checked and all are FINE.

BUT I did start a new job and sources say there is a HUGE amount of mold there-apparently they put new carpet on top of the old and a couple of other employees got sick from it...hmmmm is there a conncection between mold and night sweats?

I guess we'll see what happens when I get out of that environment for vacation...

I'm still getting them and can't figure out why. Otherwise I'm gluten free and healthy.

floridanative Community Regular

I don't know if this works if your sweats are caused by mold but I'll share anyway. Recently I went off the pill and oh boy - was that a nightmare! My gyno didn't warn me about the mood swings or anything. I've never had kids but now I find that many women suffer from something akin to mild post pardum depression after stopping b/c pills (after being on them for many years). Anyway, I started taking St. John's Wort until I got into my pcp. I had ordered Natural Progesterone cream as well but can't start it until next week as it goes with your cycle. Anyway, the doc said she really didn't want me to take an rx for my symptoms and highly recommened I stay on the SJW for now, use the prog. cream according to directions and also add Evening Primose Oil supplement. The latter is to help with night sweats, hot flashes and mood swings. I don't have anything unbearable but the mood swings and so far, knock on wood, I'm feeling really good. And I didn't start the cream yet since I'm not at the right time in my cycle yet. Anyway, these are homeopthic type remedies that someone on this forum helped me with. And she also recommended a book called 'What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause'. It is fascinating and I advise anyone over 35 to read it (females only). I paid about $5.50 from used books on Amazon including shipping.

Guest BERNESES

Thanks for all the info FloridaNative- I have officially decided that my night sweats are not related to gluten (although they are worse when I have been glutened). I really don't know what causes them- although I do know that I don't have them, for the most part, besides my apartment. I think they may be related to perimenopause. I don't THINK there's a connection between night sweats and mold, but who knows!

I just finished two rounds of allergy testing and I am officially allergic to ...NOTHING! I guess that's good.

cindyann Newbie

What type of allerygy testing did you have done? What symptoms made you suspect allergies? Thanks.

kevsmom Contributor

I sleep with a fan on in my room all year round. Some nights, I do pull the covers up over my top half and just let my legs hang out. During the really cold weather I do put the cover on, but still leave the fan on for circulation.

I am not only hot at night. I also keep a fan on under my desk at work all year long. I've had people sit down at my desk to do something (wearing a skirt) ...and you hear OOOH! coming from my office :lol:.

One year my fan broke in February. Do you know how hard it is to buy a new fan in February? :lol: Fortunately, I did find a store that was already putting out it's spring merchandise. I don't think I could have survived! I just need some air moving around me all of the time.

Cindy

Guest BERNESES

CindyAnn- I had allergy testing done because i went through a long phase from July-October where I ws constantly nauseous even though I was pretty sure I was eating gluten-free (I am micro-sensitive). I saw my doctor and at first she thought maybe it was giardia (from swimming in lots of rivers and lakes this past summer). That came back negative so se thought maybe it was viral and gave me phenergan which is an anti-nausea with an anti-histmamine in it and it was like all my symptoms completely disappeared (no more freezing cold during the day, no more nausea, vomiting etc). So she thought since it had an anti-histamine in it and it worked so well it was worth having me allergy tested. I was tested for all the major food and inhalant allergies (like 45 all together) and I am not allergic to anything. It was the under the skin tests where they actually inject the stuff into you. The allergist said it sounds more like food intolerances than allergies.

So, I was taking the phenergan but it was making me so incredibly tired. I started taking acidopholus and a suplement called IntestiNEW by Renew Life. I just got it at the health food store. It has L glutamine and ginger in it. It works just as well as the phenergan without the drowsiness for me.

i've also found that if I sleep with just a t-shirt and the comforter only up to my waist with the fan on, my night sweats are much better.

PicturePerfect Explorer

If there are any nightsweaters that have it every night, no matter what, have you been tested for HIV/AIDS?

I know it sounds weird, but it is a symptom. Can't hurt to check. :)

Lisa

Guest BERNESES

Actually- that's a really good point. When they were trying to figure out what was wrong with me, they wanted to rule everything under the sun out. Based on my symptoms, which included night sweats and weight loss, the first two things they wanted to rule out were cancer and HIV/AIDS (not trying to scare anyone- I came back fine on everything but gluten and chances are you will too).

Noelle126 Apprentice

I never thought my nightsweats could be because of being off the pill...although ive had terrible mood swings...im in the midst of switching at the moment...perhaps that's why i feel so crazy all the time!!! :ph34r:

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Well, I spoke to soon. I was doing good with my thyroid med and haven't had night sweats in months.

Then the day before yesterday -- I ate a dark chocolate candy bar, I've eaten them before without a problem, but its been a few months (around the same time the night sweats stopped.) I have a major probelm with SOY, soy anything, soy lethin (sp) too. Well, the nightsweats are back since. My thyroid levels are perfect the doc says -- so what can it be? I will say this -- I did notice this morning (I get them the few hours before waking or that is when I notice it) when I sleep on my tummy, not on my side or back, that is when I get them really bad. It might be my imagination but its like when my body is in a horizontal and not on my back, it triggers it.

It only happens when I'm horizontal...

celiac disease and all these food allergies are so complex and docs don't get it. They don't want to get it, they can't profit there is no magic pill.

The last few days I have been feeling really bad. And in my private time alone with myself, I fear dying like my Auntie with a feeding tube. I weight 100LBS (dressed) I should be 115 at 5'5", I'm in my early 40s and don't know how I can live like this until old age. I'm [all alone], no hubby or kids and etc. Well, I value my celiac-cyber-space friends. I have many days when I think I'm dying. Maybe it's my post tramic stress? My mind playing trick? Or not enough sleep from the night sweats?

It blogged

Guest BERNESES

Ms Silly yak screwed- Hang in there. I know that sounds dumb, but at least you know it's coming from someone who knows what you're talking about to some extent. I got glutened on Monday and have had HORRIBLE night sweats ever since. They wake me up at like 4 a.m. and I am so cold and uncomfortable that I can't go back to sleep and am miserable for the rest of the day.

It's interesting that you mention soy because yesterday I was in CVS looking at all the peri/menopause stuff that supposedly helps with hot flashes/night sweats/mood swings etc. (I'm 38) and I looked at the ingredients on every single one and they all had soy. It's supposed to be good for us chicks unless you're intolerant. But the other ingredient that they also had was magnesium. I know, from research on another disorder I have, that magnesium is supposed to help you sleep so last night I took my calcium/magnesium supplement before bed and I did sleep a little better with a little less sweating. It's worth a shot and I'll keep you posted.

I remember that there were many times for me when I would go to bed at night and think I wasn't going to wake up either. But so far, for the last 38 years I have. And you know you always have us, your Celiac cyber friends (sometimes i wish we could all take a cruise together somewhere warm!). Feel free to email me anytime. My email is under my board profile. Best, Beverly

Zoeysfat Rookie

Well babe, I have the same fears, so don't feel alone, and always email me if ya need some verification on who and how you are. I have always been on top of my game, way on top of it. I have multiple degrees, am an award winning designer, until recently made over 200 a year and then in April I was diagnosed with celiac disease after being so violently ill for 10 days I couldn't even walk myself down the stairs from my bedroom. Maybe I am just venting, but this disease does unbelievable tricks to your mind. If you are a control oriented person, like me, it is miserable! Sorry to state this to those of you who aren't self control freaks, but I have to assume there is at least one of you out there like me!!! I have lost 35 lbs since April, I am a size 2, down form a size 10. I am currently unemployed, because there were too many days I just couldn't get my ass out of bed to go to work because I couldn't sleep all night. My hub calls me a vampire, sleep all day, up all night. At night my mind races about what this disease could do to me, during the day I am just to tierd to deal with it, all in all it is a bad mind set for me. I am sorry this is a negative post, my point was, we all feel neglected with this disease, and at least for me, very alone. This is the most postive forum I have found on the net to at least read and get some reaction from others with the same problem. I hope I haven't gone to far here, but I just think that something needs to be done, I am not sure what yet, but I am tierd of feeling like the village freak, and I too worry that I might not wake up tomorrow.

Denice

email is Zoeysfat@comcast.net

GClrdsprn Newbie

:unsure:

Hi Everybody

My sweats are just awful, they come during the day as well. This has been going on now for about 6 weeks, and it is driving me nutso. I went through a entire year tapering off of benzodiapines, and thought I was through the worst of it. I went through absolute hell, thought I was going to die. If any of you are any sort of benzo, please consider getting off by doing a very slow taper. You will hit tolerance to it eventually, and that is a real nightmare. That is what happened to me. Then I HAD to start a taper. My benzo forum tells me the sweating is quite common in post benzo tapering, but I am also wondering if it is a mixture of benzo w/drawal, gluten or maybe the horrible MENOPAUSE. I thought I had gone through menopause, but now I am wondering if maybe I was just in perimenopause. Took HRT for several years, and I don't remember having these horrible sweats. I had a hysterectomny years ago, so can't use my menstual cycle as a guide to perhaps my entering into menopause. Think I will just keep it a a bit more time and see where this takes me. I have been very diligent in watching my gluten intake for about three weeks now, so don't really think it is gluten. My insomnia has been a problem for me for over twenty years, and see no improvement in it at all. I sometimes get absolutely zero sleep for days on end, and most nights I will get maybe 3 hours intermitently.

Any opinions anybody.

Deborah

GClrdsprn Newbie

Guest BERNESES

Deborah- I have had insomnia off and on for three years now- it's hellacious. I had read that taking magnesium before bed helps with sleep so I am now taking my calcium/magnesium supplement before bed with a rice cake. it seems to help a bit.

As far as the benzo thing goes, you're right, getting off them is a nightmare. My advice would be to see a psychopharmacologist (long word) which is what my sister did when she had to go off klonopin when she got pregnant. She went through a lot but seeing the psych. helped a lot. Supposedly, it takes about a year to taper off. They're good when they work but going off is a nightmare.

• 4 weeks later...
Mr J Rookie
I'm going to try taking a better probiotic, I've also been taking InsteniNEW but not religiously .........

hello Bernese, just revisiting the yeast/candida link to night sweats, i started with pro-biotics only but really i was just sending my expensive allies down the shute to be slaughtered by the fungus, on their own they weren't strong enough, but with the herb or plant eating enzymes combined they do make a difference.

i'm on quite a lot of supplements now, about as many as i can reliably schedule with consistency and fit in to my system. your mention of InstniNEW intrigued me and i spent a bit of time re-arranging the anagram puzzle you set until google came up with "intestiNEW". I realise the marketing dept would have come up with that name but the implication of new intestines was too hard to resist and i ordered some. I wouldn't go so far as to say it "tastes great" as suggested by the product description but its quite acceptable and i take it just before i go for my morning cycle, closely followed by my pro-biotic powder mixed into another 1/2 glass of water. Even with my stomach motility problems low concentration of nutrient liquids empty normally with me so they both flush into my gut before eating brekky.

as to whether my latest supplement addition is renewing my intestines i'm not sure but just recently i've decided that perhaps i may be getting a bit better - about a year ago i thought i was dying. Also a couple of months ago i was accidentally ingesting small amounts of gluten in a product containing soy sauce over the period of about a week and my stomach completely ceased all motility and rumbling, took one week before any sign of motilitty returned and that experience really frightened me - i don't get immediate glutening symptoms. Recently I seem to be doing well with carb brekky, protein lunch, protein evening meal and carb late nite snack. 3 to 4 hrs separate each meal but even so the carbs or veges with protein can cause some abdominal bloating and my doc has readily agreed to sign any authorisation forms for outside lab testing which i order and wouldn't be covered by my healthcare plan. I'm planning on getting tested for dysbiosis - a general term i think for intestinal imbalance which could be either fungus or bacteria. there are all sorts of feedback mechanisms which tell the stomach to delay emptying (my main problem known as gastroparesis) so i'm going to chase the theory that some intestinal imbalance is sending signals to slow my stomach. after seeming to abandon me due to a panel of routine tests showing everything looking normal they are fortunately showing a renewed interest in me after the doc who did a round of IgE type allergy tests noticed that one of my tests indicated my body was leaking chloride, 2 borderline results for cystic fibrosis and 2 negatives so they decided i don't have that. But the missing hormones and osteoperosis has convinced them that something is quite wrong, so they are pursuing my case. One doc noticed that i was freezing cold and i said yes thats what happens coz i'm starved of calories - can't eat much. Sometimes my blood pressure drops right down in an attempt to conserve energy.

however my wife has noticed i have got warmer, so with the docs following up my case i'm feeling more optimistic now

happy new everyone,

Mr J

Guest BERNESES

Happy New Year Mr J- glad you think the IntestiNEW is helping, even if it's just a bit. And I'm really glad that the doctors are following up with you. Hopefully, you'll get to the bottom of this. I met someone last night who is doing the candida diet and we are going to stay in touch. Hang in there! Beverly

Archived