This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Night Sweats

Guest BERNESES

Do you have night sweats?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mr J Rookie

it can be hard to quantify the benefits of many supplements, but i do believe in being consistent when following through with a plan, so i've been taking it religeously everyday, ever since you posted your mention of it Berneses. Nevertheless i do tend to abandon things when there seems to be no beneficial effect, but my belief in this one partly arises from coinciding in some increased energy improvements and also some of the enzymes i take are quite harsh on mucus membranes so seeking protection from the intestiNEW. I recently mail ordered another 2 jars of the stuff - I alsways like to keep some backup supplies in case manufacturer runs out or i forget to re-order on time when it comes to my supplements. I do like the idea of renewing my intestinal lining :-D

cheers,

Mr J

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BERNESES

I really think the IntestiNEW is helping me too. I'm convinced of it actually...can't quite pinpoint why. Others on this board have recommended it though too. If nothing else, it definitely soothes my stomach. I started taking all my vitamins again (multi, glucosamine, fish oil and cal mag) and I'm trying to stick with it. Cheers! B

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cainepole
I find that since I came down with Celiac, alcohol causes me to have nightsweats. If I have just one cocktail, I sweat terribly, mostly from my neck. If I don't drink, they are very minor.

Most alcohol is made from grain, e.g. stuff we can't have. If you must continue drinking (I recommend stopping), try 100% pure agave tequila, 100% pure potato vodka, or 100% pure grape wine. However, since your intestines have been damaged absorbtion of alcohol is different, most likely if someone who dosen't drink smelled you they would say you smell like a brewery because your sweating out the toxins in alcohol. Best just to stick with not drinking. I have worked in bars for decade and when diagnosed with celiac disease I had to quit and work in no alcohol est. because of people being friendly and buying me a shot, all it takes is one and I'm in trouble. I've been gluten-free and AF almost a year now and am much happier and enjoying a higher quality of life even though the pay in bars is better. Hope this was some help!

Guest cainepole

This might sound weird but, if you can't sleep a long time you might as well get as much out of it as you can. Try putting a ounce of mugwort (found in most herb stores) inside a breathable bag and put it into your pillow. Mugwort is a hallucinogenic found in dream pillows the world over. I wouldn't recommend it all the time but, when your brain has vivid dreams you feel better upon waking, almost euphoric. Also valerian root will keep you in REM sleep but, again, wouldn't recommend it all the time due to research linking to much to kidney and liver damage. So far as I know there are no health issues with mugwort unless you ingest it in which case you run a high risk of death. I've tried ambien and trazadone and would rather not sleep than run the guantlet of meds any further. Though trazadone (also known as desyrel) is for depression not sleep. Sleepiness is a side effect and doctors don't mind giving it to anyone because it has been on the market forever with very little neg. feedback. What works the best for me is to go to bed earlier so when I wake up I have longer to go back to sleep and no need to stress about being up in a hour. Sucks planning 10hrs of sleep rather than 8 but I get at least 6 this way. Good luck and good health to us all!

Guest BERNESES

I've taken trazodone and it works really well. I'm not on it no but i would go back on it if necessary. i had no side effects and slept well.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

[quote

Well, I had an eye-opener this weekend. I realized I do not sweat nearly as much at other places. My husband and I went away for the weekend for our anniversary and I didn't sweat at all. I had noticed this too when I visited my sister, in-laws etc. Got back Sunday night to our place and sweat horribly.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

I'm the same way... I keep a celiac journal everything that goes in my mouth, everything I do and little things like if I have had steatorrhea or just diarrhea, also night sweats and etc. I can't find and common thread.

Anyone know what is the cause?

Could it be you were having fun with hubby (love & laughter heals a lot) and that's why you were feeling better?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

Stronger Today- My primary care physician thinks that mold may be exacerbating all my problems- we are looking for a house so we can get out of this hell hole!

Guest SusieQ

I hope I'm doing this right. I want to post this to Night Sweats. Hope it ends up their.

I have had terrible hot flashes and night sweats for years. Drove me crazy. I work in a hospital and manage the kitchen. and do diet instructions. At times i'd just go stand in the freezer to cool off when nothing else seemed to help.

Last summer I was taking a course on medications. What shocked me was that the anti-depressant, prozac, causes terrible night sweats. The funny thing was that after being on it for a long time, I had just switched over to something else. I was actually experiencing fewer problems but didn't know why.

So, the point is, for anyone taking prozac and having sweats, GET OFF OF IT! I also couldn't sing anymore and with further reading found out that it causes the vocal chords to become dehydrated and dry so that one can't sing. Apparently, opera singers know all the drugs that cause this type of problem.

Now that I've started a gluten free diet, the last of my hot flashes seems to be going away altogether. I never knew that prozac had the side effect of heavy sweating. Wonder what other drugs do this.

Susie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BERNESES

Just wanted to add that I started taking Evening Primrose oil (a supplement that helps with peri/menopausal symptoms) and my night sweats have gone away except when glutened! Oh- I'm 38 and in the pre-menopausal years. B

Timber4est Rookie

I have suffered with bed drenching night sweats for years. I purchased some vitamins from GNC prior to my diagnosis, the Menopause VitaPak which contains several things us "mature" (I'm almost 40) women need. I had not seen any results, but vowed to take the entire box prior to making my decision.

I was then diagnosed with celiac disease and removed gluten from my diet. The original box I purchased was not gluten free, and GNC was more than happy to replace my old box (guess it had been on the shelf a while) with a new box that is Gluten Free.

After a week of being gluten-free the night sweats went away. There are two pills in this pack that are reported to help with hot flashes and night sweats, the Evening Primrose Oil and the Menopoise cap which contains red clover blossom, black cohosh and soy isoflavone. There is a warning on the Menopoise that sstates discontinue use two weeks prior to surgery.

Thus, I don't know if it is these vitamins or the gluten-free diet that has done the trick and at this moment, I could care less because my doctor opted to remove me from my estrogen in 2001 and I have loathed him with every hot flash and night sweat since!

All I know is that I was three weeks on the vitamins and one week on the gluten-free diet and I am hot flash and night sweat free, don't know which one to thank.

Deborah

Kristen2Denise Apprentice

I am so glad that other people have issues with night sweats! Mine only started about three weeks ago (and I haven't been glutened in months) and I have to change my clothes almost every night. I'm only 28 and I've been gluten-free for almost a year. Should I try the primose stuff too?

Guest BERNESES

I'm pretty happy with it! But, seeing as you're only 28, you might want to talk to your doctor because night sweats can be caused by many things. I had everything ruled out first (from cancer to HIV to thyroid-I kid you not) so for me it came down to two things- gluten or perimenopause. Got better off the gluten. Gone on the Evening Primrose Oil.

thomas3000 Rookie

Night sweats is a symptom of a parasitic infection. It would be wise to rule these out since Celiacs ALWAYS have some kind of infection, either (parasitic, fungal, bacterial). If it's not cleared total health may not be restored..

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Yeah....I got crazy night sweats all the time. I would wake up totally soaked, hair, clothes, sheets, pillows...everything. It was like someone poured a bucket of water on me. It hardly happens now that I changed my diet. I don't know if I have celiac disease yet but the night sweats return the same time other symptoms return...probably when I've had gluten. I sometimes get numbness in my hands, arms and feet along with the night sweats. It sucks to wake up and have to change clothes all the time :angry: .

-Rachel

This was my post back in August. The gluten-free diet made a huge difference as far as the night sweats. I dont wake up drenched anymore or have to change clothes in the middle of the night. Howver, the night sweats havent disappeared...they are just not as severe. My thyroid and all else checks out fine....I was just diagnosed with a C. Diff infection so I think that is probably the culprit of the continuing nightsweats. My doctor told me the same thing that Thomas just posted. Nearly all people with gluten intolerance test positive for bacterial or parasitic infections that hinder the healing process.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

This might sound silly I have lived gluten dairy free for about 5 years -- and now no night shades either after my thyroid problem. = SOY is POISON.

What do you mean when you say GLUTENED? What is that??? I feel like a dah? [giggle]

Like if my 85-year old daddyO eating wheat bread gets a tiny crumb in my food being cooked in the same oven?

Or could it be a little soy in the dark chocolate I eat is "glutening" me?

I keep a body journal - everything in, on or too, my slinny body is logged. I have noticed my night sweats don't happen it I sleep on my back. I get them for sure if I sleep on my tummy face down. I find in the morning if I wake up from sleeping that way my upper chest and neck is claimy. I try not to sleep that way. And it happens more if I lay flat. It I prop myself up on lots of pillows it doesn't happen.

I don't know I was thinking of going back to the gyno and got back on HRT? It is when I stopped taking the Vivelle 0.05 patch after 10 years. I had a hyso (how ever u spell it) when I was 3o's. And stopped it when the media hype was screaming in my face along with my friend to stop taking it it was what was making me sick. And frankly I did feel [better] but at the same time it shocked my entire body and oops I got celiac disease.

Guest BERNESES

Rachel- What is a C. Diff infection?

I was tested for parasites, bacteria, infections this summer (they thought I had giardia) and everything came back negative.

As far as soy goes, I try to avoid it as much as I can. Something about it just makes me feel sick. Iused to eat GeniSoy bars when I first went gluten-free and now I wouldn't eat one if you paid me!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel- What is a C. Diff infection?

I was tested for parasites, bacteria, infections this summer (they thought I had giardia) and everything came back negative.

Berneses,

C-Diff is a bacteria which most of us have but is controlled by good bacteria in the gut. Antibiotics kill off good bacteria and sometimes this allows the C-Diff (which is opportunistic) to spread and become an infection. It releases specific toxins which can be detected in the stool. C-Diff can be very serious...even deadly. The most common symptoms would be diarreah, abdominal pain, weight loss & vomiting. The diarreah and pain can be severe to the point where many end up in the hospital and are quickly diagnosed.

The only GI symptom I have is weight loss and mild abdominal pain. I've never vomited and only occasionally get diarreah. Noone would have ever suspected C-Diff. My HMO tested me a few times but I think only for Giardia. I also had testing from Great Smokies for parasites and bacteria but C-Diff wasnt included in that test. My new doctor retested me (a different lab) and everything was normal except they had detected the C-Diff toxin in my stool. It could be the reason for my numerous food intolerances and other symptoms but wont know until its gone.

I may have H. Pylori too but wont know until tomorrow.

Other symptoms of C-Diff could be

~Fatigue

~Lack of sleep

~Nausea, lack of appetite

~Chills and hotflashes

~Nightsweats

~Migrating arthralgias (joint pain that moves around)

~Heart palpatations

~Prolonged headaches

~Rapid hair loss (usually occurs within 2 -3 months of systemic gut infections and is an immune response to the inflammation)

I do have these symptoms but they were believed to be caused by my overactive thyroid so the doctors gave me radioactive iodine to kill my thyroid but nothing changed except now I have to take thyroid meds forever. :angry:

Guest BERNESES

Oh my God, Rachel- that is so scary. Yikes! How are you being treated for this? I'm so glad they found out what it was. That's incredible. Sounds like your new doctor is on top of everything!

I'd be pretty angry about the thyroid medicine too. That stinks. I hope you feel better soon, Beverly

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Oh my God, Rachel- that is so scary. Yikes! How are you being treated for this? I'm so glad they found out what it was. That's incredible. Sounds like your new doctor is on top of everything!

I'd be pretty angry about the thyroid medicine too. That stinks. I hope you feel better soon, Beverly

They're just going to give me antibiotics to get rid of the infection. I dont think my symptoms are as severe as some people with C-Diff but its more like the infection has depleted my immune system causing me to be sensitive to everything. Well....we dont know for sure if the infection is the cause of my ongoing symptoms but its a good possibility. Infections basically act the same as gluten does as far as keeping the gut in an unhealthy state and "leaky". Thats what my doc said anyway. He said after 9 months gluten free I should be doing much better than what I am...which is why he suspected an infection.

Guest BERNESES

Hang in there Rachel- it would be nice if you could finally pinpoint and solve what was happening.

• 4 weeks later...
Linda352 Rookie

I have found that since I've been cutting out gluten and sugar my "Tropical flashes" have lessened tremendously during the day. However, at night after I have my usual glass of wine with dinner they reappear and the night sweats are unbearable. As of tonight I am giving up my glass of wine :( for the next 2 weeks to see if the night sweats disappear.......sigh..... If I have to give up on anything else for a decent quality of life, :rolleyes: Lord, Just Shoot Me Now......

Linda/NJ

ebrbetty Rising Star

I woke up with them last night along with weird stomach pain, I thought I had food poisoning, I ate gluten-free but wondered if the frozen store brand veggie [brussel sprouts] could have done it

Guest BERNESES

Linda- I know it stinks. I started taking Evening Primrose Oil and it has worked wonders. I only get them now when I've been glutened. I'm 38 so I'm assuming mine are initially perimenpausal and made worse by gluten

Linda352 Rookie
Linda- I know it stinks. I started taking Evening Primrose Oil and it has worked wonders. I only get them now when I've been glutened. I'm 38 so I'm assuming mine are initially perimenpausal and made worse by gluten

BERNESES, Glad you have found that the EP oil is working for you. Maybe I will have to give that a try again B)

Linda

Archived