This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Night Sweats

Guest BERNESES

Do you have night sweats?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Hi All!

I still get night sweats even if I don't eat gluten haven't in 5 years. I do consume sugar...

Someone mentioned antibiotics -- I did that for a infection in my gums from a broken back tooth I had no idea I had. I was on the antibiotics only a few days and I felt GREAT! I was shocked. I don't know the connection but I hadn't felt that good in years.

I'm not sure and would like to know more about H. Pylori - I have a feeling there is a connecting, but others here know more than I do. In something I read there is a connection with celiac disease but I'm not 100% sure what it was. All I know is the antibiotics made me feel great for a few months.

Anyone talk to their DOC about night sweats?

What did they say?

My doc says, "Oh I see." and writes it in my chart but offers no answers.

I blogg

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These night sweats are getting worse for me. It's 3:30 east coast time and I'm still up...

Has anyone asked their doctors what is causing them. Or what we can do?

I was reading in a book about autoimmune disease that people like myself that experience seizures can't take EVENING PRIMROSE it will promote or increase the potental of a seizure.

When I talk to my endo doc she writes it in my chart and tells me you look great! And she wants to girltalk with me.

Anyone have better luck getting answers???

Kristen2Denise Apprentice

Hi I went to the doctors about night sweats and my doctor is toying with the idea of candidas... I have been trying to research it and it sort of makes sense. I wish I had more advice!

candidas?

I was tests it was negative.

My 85 year old daddyO gets them he told me and he's a diabetic.

slpinsd Contributor

I, too, had horrible night sweats which have resolved after going gluten-free. I would wake up completely soaked, wet hair, sheets, and all. I guess that anything auto-immune (Celiac) can cause night sweats.

Guest Robbin

I had night sweats and hot flushes that started when I went gluten-free (in Jan) and just stopped suddenly I noticed last week I hadn't had any in a while. I honestly believe it is yeast die-off. That is just my guess in my own case. I just hope I don't get them back, as they are miserable. <_<

jerseyangel Proficient

Before I was gluten-free I had terrible night sweats. They were much worse when I was in my 30's. I would wake up in the middle of the night totally drenched. That was during the time I was taking lots of antibiotics and steriods. Now, I'm getting them due to menopause--and intrestingly, these are not anywhere near as bad as the ones I used to get.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sagesmama Rookie

I can't even believe that the night sweats that I've been having for 3 years are Celiac related! I haven't gone gluten-free yet because I have an endoscopy on the 31st but this is one major symptom that has been plaguing me (and my poor husband who I share a sweat soaked bed with :( ).

I love how the more that I read all of your experienced, the more "AHA! moments" (as Oprah calls them :P) I have.

Also- I have periodic insomnia... my last bout of it lasted 6 months... SIX MONTHS! And now I find out that THAT could be Celiac related? Whoa- this information is all so overwhelming and wonderful at the same time... you know what I mean?

Guest BERNESES

I know- it's crazy. It was one of my primary complaints when I first got sick. i realized that my insomnia was because of the sweats. i would be so wet and uncomfortable that I couldn't sleep anymore.

I take evenin primrose Oil even though they have died down and it really helps. Now I only get them when glutened and they are not nearly as bad.

I had an experience the other night that I never had before.

I get night sweats, not really bad. Not like some of you. I just get a little clamie, and sweaty. Well the other night I am trying to reintroduce rice and potatoes back into my diet. I had meatball soup. I made from scratch. I cooked the meatball in a skillet, added them to a soup pot with water, celery, grated carrots, a few spices (noting major) like basil and tarragon and I added some rice. I made the rice with a cap of olive oil and some saffron. The soup was really yummy.

In the middle of the night about 4:30 a.m. I thought I wet the bed... (I didn't) but the bed was wet. My PJ's were dripping wet. And as I stood up I was shivering cold. I got up changed the bed and my bed clothes went back to bed. Around 6:30 a.m. it happened again.

Do you think the rice caused it? Did I eat too much? Or what do you think?

I have asked this question here before, and I have also asked my thyroid doc and still no answer. Why do we get them?

Is there something we can take to stop it?

gointribal Enthusiast

oh man after I eat gluten I sweat like I've been working out(literaly driping)! I wake up cold because I am wet but I'm hot; its horrible, I'm thinking I am going to swear off gluten for life!

Guest BERNESES

Ms Silly Yaak- I have found that Evening Primrose oil helps EXCEPT wwhen I'm glutened. But even then, it's not as bad as it was. I definitely think there's a correlation between eating something you're intolerant of and night sweats.

• 2 months later...
Guest BERNESES

Boy do i hate the fact that I'm reviving this thread, but I had to stop the Evening Primrose Oil and now my night sweats are back with an EVIL vengeance. so, I think for me, if the Evening Primrose Oil stopped them, they're probably hormonal. Ugh!

How do people cope? do you get up and shower? change your clothes?

Basically, I've been getting up, changing my clothes, having a cool drink and then laying a towel down over my wet sheets and going back to sleep with just the comforter over me. It's actually just a quilt. I can fall back to sleep most of the time, but it's still pretty disruptive. We have a ceiling fan in the bedroom which is always on.

How do other people sleep with them?

Green12 Enthusiast
Boy do i hate the fact that I'm reviving this thread, but I had to stop the Evening Primrose Oil and now my night sweats are back with an EVIL vengeance. so, I think for me, if the Evening Primrose Oil stopped them, they're probably hormonal. Ugh!

Basically, I've been getting up, changing my clothes, having a cool drink and then laying a towel down over my wet sheets and going back to sleep with just the comforter over me. It's actually just a quilt. I can fall back to sleep most of the time, but it's still pretty disruptive. We have a ceiling fan in the bedroom which is always on.

Oh no, I thought they were a thing of the past for you! So sorry Berneses.

Lauren M Explorer

OK forgive me for not reading the entire thread (I will though!) but YES I get terrible nightsweats! I'm only 24, but I think mine is hormonal (my hormones are all messed up). I've noticed also that if I eat something big before going to bed I get nightsweats. My nutrionist thought it might be my metabolism going into overdrive. Who knows.

How do I cope? Nothing original, just a lot of sheet washing, pajama washing/changing, etc. I hope mine will clear up; I got them off and on for a couple years, but the past few months they have been pretty much every night, no fail. I usually do sleep through them, as I take sleeping medication, but I wake up in the morning and I'm usually pretty well soaked.

Not much help, just letting you know you're not alone. I'll have to give that primrose oil a try.

- Lauren

PS - THANK YOU for reviving this thread, otherwise I wouldn't have ever found it!

Green12 Enthusiast

I just thought of this Berneses,

I don't have as many night sweats as I used to. They used to be a frequent occurrence for me, now just occasional, but I started doing some detective work and they changed according to my diet. I noticed if I had more sugar and starches they would be worse. This made me think there was a blood sugar connection involved, along with the hormone cycle. As I cleared more and more out of my diet and up until more recently, I have noticed that in times of reactivity- or eating something that I am intolerant to/allergic to, the night sweats come back with a vengeance. If that makes sense?

Of course every body is different, but it made me think there is something else involved with my night sweats.

Guest BERNESES

I'm trying to figure out if there's a food connection too. I don't eat soy (except very small amounts occasionally), lactose doesn't effect them. So you found eating a lot before bed (try not to do this, but sometimes I do) and sugar and starches? What else are you allergic to or intolerant of? maybe that will help me if you don't mind sharing.

Green12 Enthusiast
I'm trying to figure out if there's a food connection too. I don't eat soy (except very small amounts occasionally), lactose doesn't effect them. So you found eating a lot before bed (try not to do this, but sometimes I do) and sugar and starches? What else are you allergic to or intolerant of? maybe that will help me if you don't mind sharing.

I don't do soy at all, that really gets my system all whacky. Grains are a problem for me, if I eat any I have to eat them in small amounts. I also try to stay away from dairy, I do have an occasional indulgence. If I have sugar in combination with grains and/or dairy this is what I notice affects if I have a night with sweating or not. I think it has a synergistic effect in my body.

In Rachel's thread "OMG.. I might be on to something" in the Post Diagnosis and Treatment category, it is interesting that several posters discuss having night sweats when they have eaten something that they are reacting to and then when they clear these things out of their diet, no night sweats. We have figured the commonality is MSG and/or corn derivatives and that it seems like a reaction and the body trying to "sweat" it out.

Again, like I said, everybody is different, and I am sure night sweats can come from all different sources, but it was an interesting connection.

dionnek Enthusiast

wow, this is a lot of information! I've been trying to get rid of these night sweats for years to no avail! I'm thinking the gluten-free diet might do it, or maybe I'll try evening primrose if that doesn't work. Anyway, the way I "cope" is to just take off my soaking wet pjs, turn on the ceiling fan, and try to go back to sleep on a wet bed, then change the sheets in the morning (my husband would not like it if I woke him up everynight to change the sheets!) :D

Guest BERNESES

Thanks julie- I'm going to sit down with my food journal and see if I can find any patterns. I hate MSG! Evil stuff.

NSG Newbie

At 42 - I am dealing with hot flashes during the day - I have always been hot at night - but never had night sweats. Thought it was hormonal, but I could be wrong... I also avoid soy and can not have HRT - the hormones cause severe migraines.

Interesting about the mold thing - we just moved into a new townhouse and our old apartment had a bad mold problem - I have slept alot better since we moved and my sinus infections have cleared up.

By teenager on the other hand has had problems with night sweats since she was a baby - I never thought to consider that she had cheated on her gluten-free diet... Something else to keep an eye on...

Good luck with everything!

Green12 Enthusiast
Thanks julie- I'm going to sit down with my food journal and see if I can find any patterns. I hate MSG! Evil stuff.

Sorry I can't be more specific and helpful Berneses! It might be a case where you just have to do some experimenting and food rotation to see if something you are eating is related to your night sweats. I know that isn't very fun, but if it would perhaps help it might be worth it.

Good luck with it all!

gfp Enthusiast
Please see your gyno, I started perimenopause at about your age and by 41 my periods had stopped. I was told it (the peri) was 'in my head', just like my IBS, fibromyalgia and incontinence. Everything has resolved in the 2 years since diagnosis and my gyno told me he sees signs my periods may start again. (at 48!) Stay gluten-free and talk to your doctor.

WOW....

Guest BERNESES

OK- This is REALLY weird. I sat down with my food journal last night and casually went through it and it looks like peanut butter might be the culprit???? I need to do a more methodical chart or something but how weird is that??

jerseyangel Proficient
OK- This is REALLY weird. I sat down with my food journal last night and casually went through it and it looks like peanut butter might be the culprit???? I need to do a more methodical chart or something but how weird is that??

Well, peanut is a legume, as is soy. I don't know if there's a connection, but it is possible....something to think about, at least :)

Archived