This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Night Sweats

Guest BERNESES

Do you have night sweats?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

CarlaB Enthusiast

One post mentioned a previous post about mold, but I couldn't find it. I wanted to mention, though that peanuts are high in mold content. I'm slightly allergic to mold and have to watch both how much peanut butter I eat and fruit juice. They don't use all the pretty fruit for juice.

I only have night sweats related to glutenings.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green12 Enthusiast
OK- This is REALLY weird. I sat down with my food journal last night and casually went through it and it looks like peanut butter might be the culprit???? I need to do a more methodical chart or something but how weird is that??

Peanut butter :lol::lol:

Well it's something to start with anyway. It's so good too. Wouldn't that be something if eliminating peanut butter makes a difference for you?!?!

One post mentioned a previous post about mold, but I couldn't find it. I wanted to mention, though that peanuts are high in mold content. I'm slightly allergic to mold and have to watch both how much peanut butter I eat and fruit juice. They don't use all the pretty fruit for juice.

I only have night sweats related to glutenings.

I had read something very interesting some time ago about peanuts and their high mold content and that people who have severe allergies to peanuts (the ones who can die if they eat peanuts) are actually reacting to the mold than the peanut itself. It apperently is a very very toxic mold.

But you can just about read anything about everything anymore, who knows if it's true.

Guest BERNESES

Patti- You are BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!! I didn't realize they were both legumes. It explains a lot. Yesterday I aate a Bumble Bar and felt funky after. Now, it has no soy or gluten, but it does have PEANUTS! I sweat like mad last night- I even soaked my husband's side of the bed. And today my gas is exceptionally smelly and my joints ache! I bet that's what it is. I'm going to do some research and post in the Related Disorders section to see what people know. Thank you, thank you thank you!

Regarding the mold- I have far less night sweats when I sleep somewhere other than our apartment so we think there's a mold connection so maybe I am reacting to the mold in peanuts. It would be nice if I didn't have to cut out ALL legumes because I like beans, chickpeas, etc.

jerseyangel Proficient

Bev--I'm glad that the legume thing struck a chord--the legumes are what took me the longest to figure out! I love peanut butter, and was bound and determined not to give that up, too! But on the days I ate it, I would get the bad gas :ph34r: and the sweatiness. The gas was so bad, I literally was afraid to be around anyone--seriously! Add to that, I was also eating green beans *every darn day* on my salad :angry: ! (I didn't realize they WERE legumes until I checked to make sure) When I finally cut out the legumes, it was like the "last piece of the puzzle" for me. I hope it will be for you, too! :)

I also want to add that I just turned 50, and had my hormone levels checked last month. I am right on the border (according to my Gyn) of where it would indicate menopause. I don't get night sweats anymore--and I used to get them often, and had since my 30's. At that time, I used to eat a ton of beans--for a while back then, I toyed with vegitarianism and ate beans and rice, chick peas, etc, often. Interesting how all this stuff fits together.

Guest BERNESES

Patti- You rock! I just went back over my food journal with a fine tooth comb and it's peanuts for sure. And soy. I don't eat a lot of chickpeas and lately, I just haven't been craving hummus as much as I used to (strange, eh?). The last time I ate chili I felt really sick and I thought it was because I didn't cook the beans well enough. but now I wonder.

I don't eat green beans a lot but I LOVE them. Oh well.... nothing is worth soaking a bed (well maybe an occasional peanut butter indlgence here and there :ph34r: ).

What are other legumes so I know what else to avoid? Have you tried any other nut butters? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Green12 Enthusiast
Patti- You rock! I just went back over my food journal with a fine tooth comb and it's peanuts for sure. And soy. I don't eat a lot of chickpeas and lately, I just haven't been craving hummus as much as I used to (strange, eh?). The last time I ate chili I felt really sick and I thought it was because I didn't cook the beans well enough. but now I wonder.

I don't eat green beans a lot but I LOVE them. Oh well.... nothing is worth soaking a bed (well maybe an occasional peanut butter indlgence here and there :ph34r: ).

What are other legumes so I know what else to avoid? Have you tried any other nut butters? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Legumes are all the beans, soy, kidney, black, pinto, etc. and peas, and then green beans (thanks to jersey, I didn't know this either), lentils, peanuts, that's all I can think of.

Probably includes wax beans too.

Almond butter is great, I am not doing so well with nuts for the time being so I avoid it, but I love it. I've also tried cashew butter and I like it as well.

jerseyangel Proficient

Bev--Julie listed the legumes--and yes, wax beans are legumes. :( Chick peas and split peas, also. :angry: As far as nuts, I can do almonds--but right now, almond butter is too concentrated for me. I stick to the smaller amount in say, a Lara Bar or a few plain almonds. I don't want to rock the boat!! :D But I do miss nut butter with apple slices...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

thank you both so much!!!!! I'm looking forward to being legume free. Maybe it's the last piece of the puzzle for me (i hope). Hugs, B

Green12 Enthusiast
thank you both so much!!!!! I'm looking forward to being legume free. Maybe it's the last piece of the puzzle for me (i hope). Hugs, B

I hope so too! Keep us posted as to how it goes :)

Guest BERNESES

Well- last night wascertainly better than the night before! Much lighter night sweats.

Bought some organic almond butter today but I'm goin to hold off trying it for a bit. Hugs, Beverly

• 5 years later...
aircooled Newbie

I began having night sweats at the same time that I developed gastrointestinal symptoms of Celiac a month ago. Sweating is a way the body gets rid of toxins, so perhaps this is a good thing, though annoying. I often need to change my undershirt once a night, but the sheets stay mostly dry, so I don't have them as bad as some here have reported.

As a side note, I was a celia baby starting at age 11 months. I was put on a carb-free diet for two years and then gradually reintroduced to normal foods. For my entire life I ate everything. Aside form some bloating when I ate a lot of hard pretzels, I never had any GI symptoms. At age 56 I began having all the symptoms again. This followed a series of very stressful events over the past two years.

Elizabeth5220 Apprentice

Very interesting...I've been attributing my night sweats to perimenopause...sure would be nice if they'd improve after going gluten-free!

• 2 weeks later...
lil'chefy Apprentice

Please see your gyno, I started perimenopause at about your age and by 41 my periods had stopped. I was told it (the peri) was 'in my head', just like my IBS, fibromyalgia and incontinence. Everything has resolved in the 2 years since diagnosis and my gyno told me he sees signs my periods may start again. (at 48!) Stay gluten-free and talk to your doctor.

I am blown away by what you wrote. I sometimes have night sweats, though not often. I am having serious itching down there, but embarrassingly have had all VD tests recently, even though I and my husband have been monogamaus for 7 1/2 years, and have had 2 kids (4 & 1 1/2). All cultures come back normal: I know I am not my "norm". I don't get it.

• 1 month later...
rarmama Apprentice

Never used to get night sweats until a couple years ago, when I started getting them a few days before my period would start. Then got them when I was pregnant, and the regular postpartum sweats...only thing is, my baby is 4 months old now, and it hadn't gone away. I haven't had night sweats since I went gluten free though!

stillnotregistering Newbie

After I went down with Celiac in 2005 (but was misdiagnosed as Crohn's) I had night sweats really, really bad. Five t-shirts a night and a couple of towels was the norm. After I went gluten free in 2009 the night sweats tapered off and now they are rare. Instead I have really, really bad insomnia, up 4 - 6 times a night. Will be visiting the insomnia thread soon.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I am blown away by what you wrote. I sometimes have night sweats, though not often. I am having serious itching down there, but embarrassingly have had all VD tests recently, even though I and my husband have been monogamaus for 7 1/2 years, and have had 2 kids (4 & 1 1/2). All cultures come back normal: I know I am not my "norm". I don't get it.

I have night sweats too. Not severe, but enough to wake me up and toss off the blankets.

If you have been tested for yeast infection and STDs and are ok..apply coconut oil topically. It stops the burn and itch immediately.

It contains caprylic acid which knocks out those itchies.

I took some of the coconut oil that I use for cooking and put it in a small container which I keep in the bathroom to apply as needed. Makes a good lubricant too. ;)

• 3 months later...
HoosierMother Newbie

ITA this is really a good post! I wake up all sweaty and froze to the bone... My bottom sheet, hair and pillow are wet...

• 4 weeks later...
razzle51 Apprentice

yep but having with my estrogen pills I am taking .. could be gluten but dont know yet

• 3 weeks later...
sorairobara Newbie

I had it really bad for a few months after starting to go gluten free! I'm 21 and was 20 at the time so it's obviously not menopause, and while it's not as bad anymore more I still think I'm having some. The AC in my apartment can be really funky sometimes so it may be that but I'll keep my AC below 70 degrees at night and I'm too skinny so I'm almost always cold. I'll falls asleep covered in blankets, wake up drenched freezing and burning up at the same time, and then wake up again usually right before I have to get up once again freezing. I think now it's a combo of my body and my AC hating me at the same time, but I'm moving soon and I'll have a roommate to help me figure out if its me or our house!

• 2 months later...
Nyobi's Mom Newbie

This is the number two difference I notice with my daughter when she gets gluten. Sleeps way more than usual (12 plus hrs) and sweats when she naps or sleeps.

• 3 months later...
GFreeMO Proficient

I am one of those people who always want to know WHY things happen. I have been getting night sweats when glutened. Does anyone know why we get this?

• 2 weeks later...
Opa3 Apprentice

No. never had night sweats in 30 years of GFD. Night sweats is listed as a GABA deficiency physical symptom. It is a brain chemical (gamma-aminobutyric acid) which controls anxiety/panic. Also, nervious stomach, IBS, muscle tension/aches,headache, dry mouth, diarrhea, etc(42 in all).

I have sleep apnea but quit using cpap/full mask treatment. never could get use to sleeping with it. The worst two months ever. Poor sleep, It wasn't for me.

I started (Dec.17,2012 on my own) taking GABA, 750mg, 2x/day and I fall asleep faster, Feel less tense during the day, less headache (also a symptom of celiac disease), With my headache came sever eye pain w/tearing & burning. I don't believe it's allergies. I could not read, use computer or think well. The eye pain has now diminished and I function better during the day. Headeache remains but less pain.

GABA is an OTC supplement. Found mainly in the brain(also in the gut's enteric nervous system) and eyes. Suggested use; 1-3/day. "Best taken without protein." To date, I don't why? I wait 30 minutes before eating. Probably some absorption issue. Have no side effects.

Try it, might help you.

• 4 years later...
gelu65 Newbie

I am a male 82 yrs old and I do get some bad night sweats but have been without them for 2 months. I also have movement disorder and use crutches and wheelchair, I am plagued by spasms in my neck area that twist my head and causes a lot of pain. Doctor put me on a muscle relaxer and I ended up in the emergency room. my main problem at this minute is my appetite seems very bad and I fight with my wife who thinks I just don't like her cooking so she wont cook for me anymore. I eat eggs fried and have peanut butter on toast every morning. it seems like he only things that I tolerate now. I want to try to see if gluten free will help at all and going to give it a try. I have had cancer of the neck about 12 years ago and think a lot of my problems started about that time.   Jerry

TexasJen Collaborator

Gelu65, I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time right now.  I hope you can find yourself a great family practice doctor or geriatrician - someone that will really listen to you. I don't think it's wrong to try a gluten free diet, but there are many causes of night sweats including thyroid problems, medications, low testosterone, and even cancer. The best way to find a good cure is to find the right diagnosis!

Best of luck.....

GFinDC Veteran
2 hours ago, gelu65 said:

I am a male 82 yrs old and I do get some bad night sweats but have been without them for 2 months. I also have movement disorder and use crutches and wheelchair, I am plagued by spasms in my neck area that twist my head and causes a lot of pain. Doctor put me on a muscle relaxer and I ended up in the emergency room. my main problem at this minute is my appetite seems very bad and I fight with my wife who thinks I just don't like her cooking so she wont cook for me anymore. I eat eggs fried and have peanut butter on toast every morning. it seems like he only things that I tolerate now. I want to try to see if gluten free will help at all and going to give it a try. I have had cancer of the neck about 12 years ago and think a lot of my problems started about that time.   Jerry

Hi Jerry,

We try and encourage people to get tested for celiac disease before starting the GF diet because it is much easier to be tested then.  Going off gluten reduces the antibodie levels in the blood stream so testing won't be accurate after being gf.  Some people don't want to bother with testing though or have some reasons they don't want to do it.  That's ok , it's but it's good to know that it is harder to be tested later and possibly  more painful later.

Going gf is basically changing to much healthier diet if you do it right IMHO.  Doing it right means avoiding all processed foods, dairy, and sugar and carbs.  Instead eat meats, veggies, nuts and eggs.  These are all whole foods that don't usually have much in the way of added ingredients.  So it is pretty simple to know you are staying completely gf if you eat whole foods.

If you do have celiac disease, even the slightest little bit of gluten (wheat, rye and barley) can irritate your system and increase the immune response.  The immune response can last weeks to months, so its very different from a simple upset stomach.  Celiac disease can affect any part of the body, including the gut, nerves, brain, joints, skin, reproductive, hair etc. One of the possible affects is gluten ataxia which is when the immune system attacks cells in the brain/  It can even cause something called UBO's (unidentified bright objects) that will sometimes show up in in MRI's of the head.  Gluten ataxia makes it hard to coordinate muscles and walking can be difficult.  Nerve effects seem to take longer to improve than some other affects.

Welcome to the forum gelu65 :)

There is a Newbie 101 thread in the Coping with section that has getting started tips.

Archived