arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

Night Sweats

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Do you have night sweats? (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have night sweats?

1. Yes, all the time. (79 votes [59.85%])

Percentage of vote: 59.85%

2. Only when glutened. (38 votes [28.79%])

Percentage of vote: 28.79%

3. No. (15 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

146 replies to this topic

#16 louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:15 AM

<_< I live with hot flashes and night sweats. They went away for a while, however, are back with a vengence, worse than before.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:09 PM

Marshlakemom- Yep, I recently cut down on a benzo and at first it wasn't so bad but then I got to a certain dosage and I cut down just .25 mg and had horrible muscle spasms through my entire body so i stopped cutting down for now. They do their job, but getting off is next to impossible.

#18 cgilsing

cgilsing

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:43 AM

I've had night sweats as long as I can remember (probably had celiac disease too, but wasn't diagnosed) It doesn't really bother me as much because I'm used to it, but my husband won't let me get near him when I sleep because he says I'm too hot. In fact he says he can tell when I'm starting to fall asleep because I "pre-heat" :lol: The weird thing is the only other person I've talked to with the same issue is my mom. She refuses to get tested but I really think she should. (She has multiple celiac disease symptoms). I guess my dad has the same complaints about her when she sleeps.

#19 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2005 - 01:59 PM

Sounds familiar- my husband can suck the curtains off the windows with his snoring (his whole family- try going away with them for aweekend! :blink: ) but he usually comes to bed later than me and for some reason his snoring doesn't bother me. But he says that when he climbs into bed he can literally feel the heat coming off me.

It's been much better lately since I lightened up the blankets and keep the fan on me. My doctor says I'm OK (saw her Friday) just sometimes as we get older our temperatures start fluctuating. It's only perimenopause if there are other symptoms like changes in menstrual cycle, mood swings, hot flashes during the day, etc and now that it seems to be subsiding, I'm less concerned.

#20 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:26 PM

BERNESES - I had the same problem. It was my THYROID out of wack from being sick to other things. Now I know can't do corn, potatoes, or rice. Took 4 years to find out and did majr damage to colon and etc.

BERNESES have your THYROID LEVELS checked. You might be suprised...

#21 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:50 AM

Oh my gosh! You have been through so much. You are surely a strong person.

Thanks for the advice. I did have my thyroid checked and it was fine. My primary care just sid sometimes we go through periods where we are hotter at night than others and actually, it's stopped (except when glutened). Thank God! It was pretty horrible for awhile there. Thanks, B

#22 Guest_marshlakemom_*

Guest_marshlakemom_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:48 PM

Hi Everybody

My sweats are just awful, they come during the day as well. This has been going on now for about 6 weeks, and it is driving me nutso. I went through a entire year tapering off of benzodiapines, and thought I was through the worst of it. I went through absolute hell, thought I was going to die. If any of you are any sort of benzo, please consider getting off by doing a very slow taper. You will hit tolerance to it eventually, and that is a real nightmare. That is what happened to me. Then I HAD to start a taper. My benzo forum tells me the sweating is quite common in post benzo tapering, but I am also wondering if it is a mixture of benzo w/drawal, gluten or maybe the horrible MENOPAUSE. I thought I had gone through menopause, but now I am wondering if maybe I was just in perimenopause. Took HRT for several years, and I don't remember having these horrible sweats. I had a hysterectomny years ago, so can't use my menstual cycle as a guide to perhaps my entering into menopause. Think I will just keep it a a bit more time and see where this takes me. I have been very diligent in watching my gluten intake for about three weeks now, so don't really think it is gluten. My insomnia has been a problem for me for over twenty years, and see no improvement in it at all. I sometimes get absolutely zero sleep for days on end, and most nights I will get maybe 3 hours intermitently.

Any opinions anybody.

Deborah

#23 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:00 AM

Deborah- You should talk to your primary. There are plenty of good sleep meds you can take that are not benzos. I took one (let me think- I've been on so much crap I can't remember the name)- Ahh... trazodone was it and it worked well. Some of the newer ones like Ambien and Lunestra are supposed to be good too. You NEED sleep! Really.

Ms SillyYak Screwed- Just had my thyroid levels checked again on Tuesday as I'm still getting sick and have had my period three times in the last six weeks. Ugh! PMS times 3. Just what I need! I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the advice, Beverly

#24 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:52 PM

Yeah....I got crazy night sweats all the time. I would wake up totally soaked, hair, clothes, sheets, pillows...everything. It was like someone poured a bucket of water on me. It hardly happens now that I changed my diet. I don't know if I have celiac disease yet but the night sweats return the same time other symptoms return...probably when I've had gluten. I sometimes get numbness in my hands, arms and feet along with the night sweats. It sucks to wake up and have to change clothes all the time :angry: .
-Rachel
Rachel

#25 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:49 PM

I believe there is a very strong link between having gyno hormones and thyroid hormone working properly.

I was given a double dose of HRT by accident by my gyno doc. It threw my body in to major shock.

I stopped HRT at the same time I developed Celiac and as a result my thyroid problem now. I eat strict gluten & dairy free for 4 years (I'm so intolerent I have seizures) However, I did eat CORN, RICE and POTATOES okay. Then with major stress bla bla bla stressed me out totally. I thought I was doing okay then out of nowhere B-A-M! It came back and hit with a vengence this time. No more CORN, RICE and POTATOES. I'll really miss you... Bye Bye! Since, I have developed more and more food allergies with time. I wonder how I can thrive?

Is it only :angry: woman, or are :blink: men :wacko: experiencing the night sweats problems? :huh:

#26 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:35 AM

It's not just the ladies that get the night sweats! ;)
Pre-diagnosis my dh suffered terrible from these,they were bad-he used to have to get up and change and put a towel down on the bed.Soggy pillows-the works.
Only gets them occasionally now.
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#27 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:56 AM

It's not just the ladies that get the night sweats! ;)
Pre-diagnosis my dh suffered terrible from these,they were bad-he used to have to get up and change and put a towel down on the bed.Soggy pillows-the works.
Only gets them occasionally now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is dh? :o

#28 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:05 AM

Husband! ;)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#29 misskris

misskris

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:04 PM

It's only perimenopause if there are other symptoms like changes in menstrual cycle, mood swings, hot flashes during the day, etc and now that it seems to be subsiding, I'm less concerned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well now I'm frightened. I'm 23 and have all these problems. I knew it was hormonal, but just figured it was kinda normal.
Kris

#30 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

Kris,

All these symptoms can be caused by an overactive thyroid as well. I had all those sypmtoms due to thyroid issues.
-Rachel
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: