Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

Night Sweats

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Do you have night sweats? (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have night sweats?

1. Yes, all the time. (79 votes [59.85%])

Percentage of vote: 59.85%

2. Only when glutened. (38 votes [28.79%])

Percentage of vote: 28.79%

3. No. (15 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

146 replies to this topic

#46 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:00 AM

Oh my God- that's horrible! That can't be good for you.

Well, I had an eye-opener this weekend. I realized I do not sweat nearly as much at other places. My husband and I went away for the weekend for our anniversary and I didn't sweat at all. I had noticed this too when I visited my sister, in-laws etc. Got back Sunday night to our place and sweat horribly.

So, I'm down to two things (well- three actually- I'm convinced this has something to do with where I live- it's possessed and my landlord feeds hundreds of pigeons!). My husband and I have both noticed that I feel better when I am not at home. So, yesterday I bought a new comforter- not down- just cotton. No night sweats. Also, I am switching my cats over to a gluten-free cat food and a different litter. I've noticed that I feel OK when I wake up in the a.m. I, but after I clean the cat box and feed the cats, I get nauseous.

I've also noticed that when I take phenergan (a drug that was prescribed for my nausea but also has an antihistamine in it) I feel MUCH better. I'm wondering if I have a wheat allergy on top of a gluten intolerance. It might explain why I am so sensitive to it. I'm going to talk to my doctor this week.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

Berneses, I don't know if this helps at all but for years Drs. said my nausea and dizziness was because of sinus problems and allergies. The thing was I never had any classic nasal symptoms but I don't think they could come up with anything else! (these 2 symptoms were the main ones for me until 2 yrs. ago when the celiac disease came on big time.) Anyway, I was put on antihistimes, antibiotics, and steriod injections which it turns out I didn't need and now I'm allergic to all but one class of antibiotic but the point of this is that when I took the antihistimes, I'd find that my nausea went away most of the time. I actually took Claritan for almost 10 yrs. straight to try and keep my stomach at bay. Back then I also had night sweats which I don't have anymore-I'm 5 mo. gluten-free. When I read your post, I saw some similarities==for the life of me its all so confusing :angry:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#48 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:52 PM

I know- I'm so confused too. I'll let you know what I "find out". Ugh.

#49 Fluffyblue

Fluffyblue

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:58 PM

I have had nightsweats for years, and have had "IBS" (undiagnosed) for about 15 years.

I have noticed that I have nightsweats when I overeat, or just before and during my period - so for me it could be linked to gluten, and it also seems to be linked to hormones. My doctor tested me for perimenopause about two years ago (I'm now 33) and that showed nothing.

I've never been tested for Coeliacs, but I have been diagnosed as having Candida by an alternative therapist. I'm getting some bloodwork done on Monday though to test for gluten intolerance, as my therapist says that now my candida is cleared up I still have a wheat intolerance.

I definitely think nightsweats are food related (at least partly).

#50 elisabet

elisabet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:55 AM

i find that if i can digest a decent amount of protein then that keeps me warm better than a pure carb meal. The problem is that my system takes a long time to digest protein.

A couple of other symptoms that went away along with the dissappearance of the main candida symptoms were:

1. aversion to perfume and cigarette smoke. I still don't like cigarette smoke or the smell of strong perfume but nowhere near the intense dislike that i used to have.
2. aversion to crowds eg in a crowded shopping area.

I know no 2. sounds a bit weird, but its a definate benefit to be able to enjoy shopping with my wife - especially when I'm on holiday like today in crowded Bangkok.

cheers,

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My son had both these symptomes,and both are much better now.

#51 Mr J

Mr J

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:17 AM

My son had both these symptomes,and both are much better now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

aha, i'm not alone with these symptoms then

just about every post since my post indicating it was a candida prob for me have fitted in with the candida connection. Eating carbs feeds the candida. Its possible to cull the candida and then enjoy the carbs again.

cheers,

Mr J

from page 3 of this thread:

I used to get nightsweats. The pattern was require plenty of bedcovers to get warm enough to sleep, then wake up in early hours of the morning extremely hot and sweating profusely. Would need to get out of bed cool down with my shirt off, then go back to bed and get some sleep.

The dissappearance of the nightsweats coincided with clearing candida out of my intestines. I posted on this subject on the related disorders forum.

I was able to get rid of the nightsweats long before I realised i was gluten intolerant and went gluten-free, so the two things are separable. However theoretically they are linked - having a gluten damaged digestive/intestinal system would make me more susceptible to candida.

Being starved of energy has meant that during the day i'm most likely to be cold. Being cold in the day has persisted  for the last 10 years or so.

cheers,

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

age 47
enterolab tests
HLA-DQB1*0602, 0604 - sensetivity genes
Antigliadin IgA and Transglutaminase igA positive
Casein IgA positive
primary problem - gastroparesis - paralysis of the stomach
under control with the right drugs

#52 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2005 - 05:38 PM

I bought a new comforter and my night sweats are almost gone (cotton- not down) but there is so CLEARLY something else going on with me. I am really starting to think that it's a candida problem. I read somewhere (I forget where) that excess mold in your house can cause an overgrowth in the digestive system and trigger a gluten intolerance. I'm really starting to wonder (and be scared) that all this has something to do with my apartment.

#53 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:20 PM

I am new to this whole thing, so I am still putting all of the bit together, but I do get VERY HOT at night. I sleep with one of those tornado fans on the nightstand blowing right on me, and I still wake up really really hot, like I am burning up from the inside. I am only 23, and have no kids or anything like that. I had no idea that this might be a celiac symptom. Thanks for sharing guys!!!! TiffJake

Hugh, that's interesting...  I've never had full-blown sweats perhaps, but I always get hot at night, while my husband is on the other side with a heated blanket.  I don't get hot during the day though...its weird.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#54 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:19 AM

OK- now I'm CONVINCED that this has something to do with my apartment (welcome to the Amittyville Horror). I spent a week at my in-laws- no night sweats, didn't need phenergan for nausea, much better appetite, much better mood (until I got glutened at an Indian restaurant). Now I'm back in my apartment and the night sweats are back, the nausea is back and the freezing cold feeling is back.

I think it's mold exacerbating my symptoms. So that would be a candioda connection, right? So how do I starve this evil beast? I know, no carbs (right now I eat rice and occasional gluten free desserts), no sugar (ugh- that's tough- I LOVE my chocolate). I see the allergist today so I'll let you know what I find out. Looks like we're moving though!

#55 Mr J

Mr J

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:11 PM

....I think it's mold exacerbating my symptoms. So that would be a candioda connection, right?

... So how do I starve this evil beast? I know, no carbs (right now I eat rice and occasional gluten free desserts), no sugar (ugh- that's tough- I LOVE my chocolate)....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello Berneses, when i first experienced the worst symptoms i was exposed to a hi mould environemnt, background to that at the bottom of this page
http://www.glutenfre...opic=9799&st=15

however its not the same mould as candida albicans, what i think happens is that it breaks down the bodies immune system to mould in general thus allowing the candida that should live in small quantities in the intestine to grow out of control. thats my understanding anyway

unless giving up carbs for life is acceptable that won't work as a permanent solution, symtoms will abate with the carb elimination and quickly come back when carbs re-introduced. Same for any other cure i find. The only acceptable thing for me is to take daily probiotics (in the morning before brekky), daily herb capsule (after evening meal), and several times per day a digestive enzyme called "No Phenol" by Houston enzymes. That way i can eat carbs. But basically i think i am susceptible to it for life, therefore will never be able to stop this regimen. I'd much rather keep up this daily anti candida intake than give up carbs and all 3 of the things i mentioned serve other purposes too so its not as if i'm taking them just for candida.

candida is quite hard to get rid of, my experiences with failure and success here.
http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=10274

cheers,

Mr J
age 47
enterolab tests
Casein IgA positive

#56 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:02 AM

Thanks Mr. J- Hope you're enjoying Thailand! I'm so jealous- it's my dream trip (well one of two- the other is Nepal). I'm going to try taking a better probiotic, I've also been taking InsteniNEW but not religiously so maybe I need to do some butt-kicking in the supplement department.

Thanks for all your help- eat lots of Thai for me and enjoy being with your wife! Best, Beverly

#57 Mr J

Mr J

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:21 PM

Thanks Mr. J- Hope you're enjoying Thailand! I'm so jealous- it's my dream trip (well one of two- the other is Nepal). I'm going to try taking a better probiotic, I've also been taking InsteniNEW but not religiously so maybe I need to do some butt-kicking in the supplement department.

Thanks for all your help- eat lots of Thai for me and enjoy being with your wife! Best, Beverly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i returned from thailand some weeks ago and did enjoy it thanks.

on the subject of supplements: altho carbs are a significant proportion of my intake, i don't wish to give the impression that all is well with me provided i use those 3 simple supplements. i am able to enjoy carbs and thai food too, but have to take in an enormous amount of supplements - mainly digestive enzymes - to remain comfortable and functioning. i also can't eat very much and have to separate carbs from protein to achieve good digestion - this is something you would benefit from too - for instance if i have a protein evening meal with no carbs at all and then a late night snak of pure carbs i will get better digestion and a better nights sleep than if i attempted to mix them all in one meal. i take in a lot of proteases with protein meals and amylases with carb meals and fiber digesting No Phenol with everything - this enzyme splits open and digests yeast!

available here

http://houstonni.com...re_Code=HNI-USA

i get protease (Peptizyde), amylase (ZymePrime) from there too, other zymes from various sources

recently started using "New Chapter All-Flora" probiotics, dairy free (cultured in soy) bought from my local Whole Foods store in USA, i take it first thing upon getting up some time before brekky with a full glass of water to flush it into the gut before the stomach acids get operated by food - 1/2 tsp supposedly gives 8 billion friendly bacteria!

i get up, flush some bacteria into my gut, go for a bit of bike ride, then eat. In the evening i have my protein meal and do a bit of skateboarding - this activity promotes digestion as it is low impact and a lot less boring for me than just walking, and good for my mental health. this prepares me nicely for my late nite carb snak. i don't skateboard when its raining, but it doesn't rain much in silicon valley, but i have to be careful with this coz malnutrition has impaired my bone density

i'm being investigated for an a disease which impairs pancreas - something must be wrong there coz i need a vast amount of enzymes to stay comfortable - the rigidness of my eating schedule drives me nuts at times, but i try to turn the enforced discipline into something more enjoyable by purchasing all these nice little tiny chinese tea and condiment cups. The monk who blesses my wife and i seems to have similar digestive issues and i got the idea from watching him - being a monk things are even more difficult as his religeon forbids him from eating after midday.

So i line up an ornamental set of beatiful tiny cups on a decorative bar (came as a set) and another set on a matching plate - bought from china town Bangkok, in one i have my proteaze, another my fiber zymes, another contains lipases, some pancreatin, multi-vit and stinking (but to me delicous) fermented shrimp paste condiment, super hot chilli sauce condiments etc. it all helps to keep my appetite up and promote good digestion altho i realise would look a bit ridiculous, but my wife doesn't mind - paradoxically despite my difficulties with eating her hobby is cooking so anything that helps keep me digestively happy she encourages

cheers,

Mr J
age 47
enterolab tests
Casein IgA positive

#58 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:48 PM

Wow- you've got a lot going on there! I think the No Phenol might be a good thing for me. I'll check it out. I know I need to start exercising too- I did yoga religiously up until I had to do the gluten challenge for the biopsy back in April (I had been gluten-free for two months at that point). I swear to God the gluten challenge wrecked me. Anyway, I just feel like I have no energy to exercise but you know what they say about a body in motion. :D

#59 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:30 PM

Ok, so what's this about mold?
I started night sweats in July after never having them before. I'm 29 and I've had my thyroid, hormones, sugars, vitamins, etc checked and all are FINE.
BUT I did start a new job and sources say there is a HUGE amount of mold there-apparently they put new carpet on top of the old and a couple of other employees got sick from it...hmmmm is there a conncection between mold and night sweats?
I guess we'll see what happens when I get out of that environment for vacation...
I'm still getting them and can't figure out why. Otherwise I'm gluten free and healthy.

#60 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:06 PM

I don't know if this works if your sweats are caused by mold but I'll share anyway. Recently I went off the pill and oh boy - was that a nightmare! My gyno didn't warn me about the mood swings or anything. I've never had kids but now I find that many women suffer from something akin to mild post pardum depression after stopping b/c pills (after being on them for many years). Anyway, I started taking St. John's Wort until I got into my pcp. I had ordered Natural Progesterone cream as well but can't start it until next week as it goes with your cycle. Anyway, the doc said she really didn't want me to take an rx for my symptoms and highly recommened I stay on the SJW for now, use the prog. cream according to directions and also add Evening Primose Oil supplement. The latter is to help with night sweats, hot flashes and mood swings. I don't have anything unbearable but the mood swings and so far, knock on wood, I'm feeling really good. And I didn't start the cream yet since I'm not at the right time in my cycle yet. Anyway, these are homeopthic type remedies that someone on this forum helped me with. And she also recommended a book called 'What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause'. It is fascinating and I advise anyone over 35 to read it (females only). I paid about $5.50 from used books on Amazon including shipping.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: