arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

Night Sweats

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you have night sweats? (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have night sweats?

1. Yes, all the time. (79 votes [59.85%])

Percentage of vote: 59.85%

2. Only when glutened. (38 votes [28.79%])

Percentage of vote: 28.79%

3. No. (15 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:55 PM

This might sound silly I have lived gluten dairy free for about 5 years -- and now no night shades either after my thyroid problem. = SOY is POISON.

What do you mean when you say GLUTENED? What is that??? I feel like a dah? [giggle]

Like if my 85-year old daddyO eating wheat bread gets a tiny crumb in my food being cooked in the same oven?

Or could it be a little soy in the dark chocolate I eat is "glutening" me?

I keep a body journal - everything in, on or too, my slinny body is logged. I have noticed my night sweats don't happen it I sleep on my back. I get them for sure if I sleep on my tummy face down. I find in the morning if I wake up from sleeping that way my upper chest and neck is claimy. I try not to sleep that way. And it happens more if I lay flat. It I prop myself up on lots of pillows it doesn't happen.

I don't know I was thinking of going back to the gyno and got back on HRT? It is when I stopped taking the Vivelle 0.05 patch after 10 years. I had a hyso (how ever u spell it) when I was 3o's. And stopped it when the media hype was screaming in my face along with my friend to stop taking it it was what was making me sick. And frankly I did feel [better] but at the same time it shocked my entire body and oops I got celiac disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:28 AM

Rachel- What is a C. Diff infection?

I was tested for parasites, bacteria, infections this summer (they thought I had giardia) and everything came back negative.

As far as soy goes, I try to avoid it as much as I can. Something about it just makes me feel sick. Iused to eat GeniSoy bars when I first went gluten-free and now I wouldn't eat one if you paid me!

#93 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:06 AM

Rachel- What is a C. Diff infection?

I was tested for parasites, bacteria, infections this summer (they thought I had giardia) and everything came back negative.

Berneses,

C-Diff is a bacteria which most of us have but is controlled by good bacteria in the gut. Antibiotics kill off good bacteria and sometimes this allows the C-Diff (which is opportunistic) to spread and become an infection. It releases specific toxins which can be detected in the stool. C-Diff can be very serious...even deadly. The most common symptoms would be diarreah, abdominal pain, weight loss & vomiting. The diarreah and pain can be severe to the point where many end up in the hospital and are quickly diagnosed.

The only GI symptom I have is weight loss and mild abdominal pain. I've never vomited and only occasionally get diarreah. Noone would have ever suspected C-Diff. My HMO tested me a few times but I think only for Giardia. I also had testing from Great Smokies for parasites and bacteria but C-Diff wasnt included in that test. My new doctor retested me (a different lab) and everything was normal except they had detected the C-Diff toxin in my stool. It could be the reason for my numerous food intolerances and other symptoms but wont know until its gone.

I may have H. Pylori too but wont know until tomorrow.

Other symptoms of C-Diff could be
~Fatigue
~Lack of sleep
~Nausea, lack of appetite
~Chills and hotflashes
~Nightsweats
~Migrating arthralgias (joint pain that moves around)
~Heart palpatations
~Prolonged headaches
~Rapid hair loss (usually occurs within 2 -3 months of systemic gut infections and is an immune response to the inflammation)

I do have these symptoms but they were believed to be caused by my overactive thyroid so the doctors gave me radioactive iodine to kill my thyroid but nothing changed except now I have to take thyroid meds forever. :angry:
Rachel

#94 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:07 PM

Oh my God, Rachel- that is so scary. Yikes! How are you being treated for this? I'm so glad they found out what it was. That's incredible. Sounds like your new doctor is on top of everything!

I'd be pretty angry about the thyroid medicine too. That stinks. I hope you feel better soon, Beverly

#95 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

Oh my God, Rachel- that is so scary. Yikes! How are you being treated for this? I'm so glad they found out what it was. That's incredible. Sounds like your new doctor is on top of everything!

I'd be pretty angry about the thyroid medicine too. That stinks. I hope you feel better soon, Beverly

They're just going to give me antibiotics to get rid of the infection. I dont think my symptoms are as severe as some people with C-Diff but its more like the infection has depleted my immune system causing me to be sensitive to everything. Well....we dont know for sure if the infection is the cause of my ongoing symptoms but its a good possibility. Infections basically act the same as gluten does as far as keeping the gut in an unhealthy state and "leaky". Thats what my doc said anyway. He said after 9 months gluten free I should be doing much better than what I am...which is why he suspected an infection.
Rachel

#96 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:04 PM

Hang in there Rachel- it would be nice if you could finally pinpoint and solve what was happening.

#97 Linda352

Linda352

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

I have found that since I've been cutting out gluten and sugar my "Tropical flashes" have lessened tremendously during the day. However, at night after I have my usual glass of wine with dinner they reappear and the night sweats are unbearable. As of tonight I am giving up my glass of wine :( for the next 2 weeks to see if the night sweats disappear.......sigh..... If I have to give up on anything else for a decent quality of life, :rolleyes: Lord, Just Shoot Me Now......

Linda/NJ

#98 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

I woke up with them last night along with weird stomach pain, I thought I had food poisoning, I ate gluten-free but wondered if the frozen store brand veggie [Brussel sprouts] could have done it
~Betty

#99 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

Linda- I know it stinks. I started taking Evening Primrose Oil and it has worked wonders. I only get them now when I've been glutened. I'm 38 so I'm assuming mine are initially perimenpausal and made worse by gluten

#100 Linda352

Linda352

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

Linda- I know it stinks. I started taking Evening Primrose Oil and it has worked wonders. I only get them now when I've been glutened. I'm 38 so I'm assuming mine are initially perimenpausal and made worse by gluten

BERNESES, Glad you have found that the EP oil is working for you. Maybe I will have to give that a try again B)

Linda

#101 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:38 PM

Hi All!

I still get night sweats even if I don't eat gluten haven't in 5 years. I do consume sugar...

Someone mentioned antibiotics -- I did that for a infection in my gums from a broken back tooth I had no idea I had. I was on the antibiotics only a few days and I felt GREAT! I was shocked. I don't know the connection but I hadn't felt that good in years.

I'm not sure and would like to know more about H. Pylori - I have a feeling there is a connecting, but others here know more than I do. In something I read there is a connection with celiac disease but I'm not 100% sure what it was. All I know is the antibiotics made me feel great for a few months.

Anyone talk to their DOC about night sweats?
What did they say?

My doc says, "Oh I see." and writes it in my chart but offers no answers.

I blogg

#102 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:28 AM

These night sweats are getting worse for me. It's 3:30 east coast time and I'm still up...

Has anyone asked their doctors what is causing them. Or what we can do?

I was reading in a book about autoimmune disease that people like myself that experience seizures can't take EVENING PRIMROSE it will promote or increase the potental of a seizure.

When I talk to my endo doc she writes it in my chart and tells me you look great! And she wants to girltalk with me.

Anyone have better luck getting answers???

#103 Kristen2Denise

Kristen2Denise

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

Hi I went to the doctors about night sweats and my doctor is toying with the idea of candidas... I have been trying to research it and it sort of makes sense. I wish I had more advice!
Kristen
Diagnosed through blood test
Gluten-Free since 3-31-05

#104 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

candidas?

I was tests it was negative.

My 85 year old daddyO gets them he told me and he's a diabetic.

#105 slpinsd

slpinsd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:26 PM

I, too, had horrible night sweats which have resolved after going gluten-free. I would wake up completely soaked, wet hair, sheets, and all. I guess that anything auto-immune (Celiac) can cause night sweats.
Weak positive bloodwork (IgG only)
"Mild flattening of villi" noted on endoscopy, but negative biopsy
Positive response to gluten-free Diet 1/14/06
Diagnosed gluten intolerant by Enterolab
HLA-DQB1*0201, 0201 (HLA-DQ2, DQ2)- 2 Celiac Genes
Vitamin B-12 deficiency
Have not received Celiac Diagnosis based on negative biopsy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: