arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

Night Sweats

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Do you have night sweats? (132 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have night sweats?

1. Yes, all the time. (79 votes [59.85%])

Percentage of vote: 59.85%

2. Only when glutened. (38 votes [28.79%])

Percentage of vote: 28.79%

3. No. (15 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

146 replies to this topic

#121 NSG

NSG

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:09 PM

At 42 - I am dealing with hot flashes during the day - I have always been hot at night - but never had night sweats. Thought it was hormonal, but I could be wrong... I also avoid soy and can not have HRT - the hormones cause severe migraines.

Interesting about the mold thing - we just moved into a new townhouse and our old apartment had a bad mold problem - I have slept alot better since we moved and my sinus infections have cleared up.

By teenager on the other hand has had problems with night sweats since she was a baby - I never thought to consider that she had cheated on her gluten-free diet... Something else to keep an eye on...

Good luck with everything!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#122 Green12

Green12

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:12 AM

Thanks julie- I'm going to sit down with my food journal and see if I can find any patterns. I hate MSG! Evil stuff.

Sorry I can't be more specific and helpful Berneses! It might be a case where you just have to do some experimenting and food rotation to see if something you are eating is related to your night sweats. I know that isn't very fun, but if it would perhaps help it might be worth it.

Good luck with it all!

#123 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:44 AM

Please see your gyno, I started perimenopause at about your age and by 41 my periods had stopped. I was told it (the peri) was 'in my head', just like my IBS, fibromyalgia and incontinence. Everything has resolved in the 2 years since diagnosis and my gyno told me he sees signs my periods may start again. (at 48!) Stay gluten-free and talk to your doctor.

WOW....
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#124 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:57 AM

OK- This is REALLY weird. I sat down with my food journal last night and casually went through it and it looks like peanut butter might be the culprit???? I need to do a more methodical chart or something but how weird is that??

#125 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:13 AM

OK- This is REALLY weird. I sat down with my food journal last night and casually went through it and it looks like peanut butter might be the culprit???? I need to do a more methodical chart or something but how weird is that??

Well, peanut is a legume, as is soy. I don't know if there's a connection, but it is possible....something to think about, at least :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#126 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:23 AM

One post mentioned a previous post about mold, but I couldn't find it. I wanted to mention, though that peanuts are high in mold content. I'm slightly allergic to mold and have to watch both how much peanut butter I eat and fruit juice. They don't use all the pretty fruit for juice.

I only have night sweats related to glutenings.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#127 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:52 PM

Peanut butter :lol: :lol:

Well it's something to start with anyway. It's so good too. Wouldn't that be something if eliminating peanut butter makes a difference for you?!?!

One post mentioned a previous post about mold, but I couldn't find it. I wanted to mention, though that peanuts are high in mold content. I'm slightly allergic to mold and have to watch both how much peanut butter I eat and fruit juice. They don't use all the pretty fruit for juice.

I only have night sweats related to glutenings.

I had read something very interesting some time ago about peanuts and their high mold content and that people who have severe allergies to peanuts (the ones who can die if they eat peanuts) are actually reacting to the mold than the peanut itself. It apperently is a very very toxic mold.

But you can just about read anything about everything anymore, who knows if it's true.

#128 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

Patti- You are BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!! I didn't realize they were both legumes. It explains a lot. Yesterday I aate a Bumble Bar and felt funky after. Now, it has no soy or gluten, but it does have PEANUTS! I sweat like mad last night- I even soaked my husband's side of the bed. And today my gas is exceptionally smelly and my joints ache! I bet that's what it is. I'm going to do some research and post in the Related Disorders section to see what people know. Thank you, thank you thank you!

Regarding the mold- I have far less night sweats when I sleep somewhere other than our apartment so we think there's a mold connection so maybe I am reacting to the mold in peanuts. It would be nice if I didn't have to cut out ALL legumes because I like beans, chickpeas, etc.

#129 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:49 AM

Bev--I'm glad that the legume thing struck a chord--the legumes are what took me the longest to figure out! I love peanut butter, and was bound and determined not to give that up, too! But on the days I ate it, I would get the bad gas :ph34r: and the sweatiness. The gas was so bad, I literally was afraid to be around anyone--seriously! Add to that, I was also eating green beans *every darn day* on my salad :angry: ! (I didn't realize they WERE legumes until I checked to make sure) When I finally cut out the legumes, it was like the "last piece of the puzzle" for me. I hope it will be for you, too! :)

I also want to add that I just turned 50, and had my hormone levels checked last month. I am right on the border (according to my Gyn) of where it would indicate menopause. I don't get night sweats anymore--and I used to get them often, and had since my 30's. At that time, I used to eat a ton of beans--for a while back then, I toyed with vegitarianism and ate beans and rice, chick peas, etc, often. Interesting how all this stuff fits together.
Patti

#130 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:33 AM

Patti- You rock! I just went back over my food journal with a fine tooth comb and it's peanuts for sure. And soy. I don't eat a lot of chickpeas and lately, I just haven't been craving hummus as much as I used to (strange, eh?). The last time I ate chili I felt really sick and I thought it was because I didn't cook the beans well enough. but now I wonder.

I don't eat green beans a lot but I LOVE them. Oh well.... nothing is worth soaking a bed (well maybe an occasional peanut butter indlgence here and there :ph34r: ).

What are other legumes so I know what else to avoid? Have you tried any other nut butters? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

#131 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:55 AM

Patti- You rock! I just went back over my food journal with a fine tooth comb and it's peanuts for sure. And soy. I don't eat a lot of chickpeas and lately, I just haven't been craving hummus as much as I used to (strange, eh?). The last time I ate chili I felt really sick and I thought it was because I didn't cook the beans well enough. but now I wonder.

I don't eat green beans a lot but I LOVE them. Oh well.... nothing is worth soaking a bed (well maybe an occasional peanut butter indlgence here and there :ph34r: ).

What are other legumes so I know what else to avoid? Have you tried any other nut butters? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Legumes are all the beans, soy, kidney, black, pinto, etc. and peas, and then green beans (thanks to jersey, I didn't know this either), lentils, peanuts, that's all I can think of.

Probably includes wax beans too.

Almond butter is great, I am not doing so well with nuts for the time being so I avoid it, but I love it. I've also tried cashew butter and I like it as well.

#132 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:43 AM

Bev--Julie listed the legumes--and yes, wax beans are legumes. :( Chick peas and split peas, also. :angry: As far as nuts, I can do almonds--but right now, almond butter is too concentrated for me. I stick to the smaller amount in say, a Lara Bar or a few plain almonds. I don't want to rock the boat!! :D But I do miss nut butter with apple slices...
Patti

#133 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

thank you both so much!!!!! I'm looking forward to being legume free. Maybe it's the last piece of the puzzle for me (i hope). Hugs, B

#134 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

thank you both so much!!!!! I'm looking forward to being legume free. Maybe it's the last piece of the puzzle for me (i hope). Hugs, B

I hope so too! Keep us posted as to how it goes :)

#135 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

Well- last night wascertainly better than the night before! Much lighter night sweats.

Bought some organic almond butter today but I'm goin to hold off trying it for a bit. Hugs, Beverly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: