#1 Luvbeingamommy

Luvbeingamommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

Is it always instantly??

I made a stupid mistake last night and ate some tastee sandwiches, well just the meat, no bread. My grandma thought they were fine, well after this morning I am thinking they were not. I looked up the recipe and there was liption onion soup mix, which pretty positive that is not okay if that is the recipe they used. Guess I can't assume anything, lesson learned.

I've been going to the bathroom a lot, stomach cramps, and joint pain....probably gluten, huh?? I didn't know if it had soy sauce (allergic to soy), but I don't think so.

I was just curious, I am usually VERY careful.....how long does it last for you??

Meagan~Happy Mama to my 3 kiddos!

Had a stroke 11-16-09 as a healthy 25 year old, complete workup and found nothing! I *knew* it had to relate with my recent stomach/nausea problems, but was told no for along time. *I* pushed for Celiac testing, even when doctor doubted it.
Positive bloodwork and negative biopsy- 12-09.
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)
Neurologist concluded stroke was caused by Celiac/Gluten Sensitivity!
6-10 Tested IgE allergic to peanuts, green peas, and soybeans.

Kingston age 2 1/2 tested positive via Enterolab, tested poitive for IgA and TTG. Doing MUCH better gluten free as of 3-10.
HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Is it always instantly??

I made a stupid mistake last night and ate some tastee sandwiches, well just the meat, no bread. My grandma thought they were fine, well after this morning I am thinking they were not. I looked up the recipe and there was liption onion soup mix, which pretty positive that is not okay if that is the recipe they used. Guess I can't assume anything, lesson learned.

I've been going to the bathroom a lot, stomach cramps, and joint pain....probably gluten, huh?? I didn't know if it had soy sauce (allergic to soy), but I don't think so.

I was just curious, I am usually VERY careful.....how long does it last for you??

I'm sorry about the glutening. It's always an awful mistake. I get primarily neuro reactions starting 45 minutes after ingestion. It peaks at days 2 and 3 then gets tolerable by day 5-6. I still feel poorly for 2+ weeks, but it's manageable. I hope you are feeling better soon and just remember that the potty problems are helping to rid that poison from your system. I wish I had a magic cure for getting rid of the symptoms. Oh, how I wish that.

#3 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

It seems like since going gluten free my stomach issues are pretty minor. I tend to go into a brain fog and my joints flare up pretty much right away. Sometimes I'll get nauseous even as I'm eating...cue to stop eating right now...The brain fog and joint pain can last a couple of days or more. Usually the nauseous stomach goes away in 2 to 4 hours. I hope your symptoms clear very quickly.

#4 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

It depends, I got glutened at the beach but it was all CC and took 2 days to get REALLY sick. Other times I have been sick within 2 hours of eating it.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#5 Travisevian

Travisevian

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

If it's a refined grain(i.e. multigrain pasta), I'll generally have a reaction within the first hour of ingestion. I hope you're feeling better. :)

#6 twinkle-toez

twinkle-toez

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

I ate artificial bacon bits a couple of weeks back (not knowing that they are wheat based) and reacted within the hour of ingestion... actually I felt sick while I was eating the salad, but I was so hungry that I just ignored all the warnings signs... is it normal to react that fast? I hadn't been gluten free for very long - gluten reduced for a couple of months, but only completely gluten free for a couple of weeks...

#7 SueQueBlue

SueQueBlue

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

I think I got glutened today at a wedding. I only had fruit, and some salami-type roll up things for appetizers. Dinner was a salad (it did have croutons mixed in, but I didn't eat them), potatoes and chicken. It was probably the croutons and the little bit of sauce the chicken had. I've only been dx'd for a month and this was my first event I had been to that I had not control over. Guess my lesson was learned the hard way, because even though we ate about 3 hours ago, I am just now starting to feel awful. Bed, here I come.

#8 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

I think I got glutened today at a wedding. I only had fruit, and some salami-type roll up things for appetizers. Dinner was a salad (it did have croutons mixed in, but I didn't eat them), potatoes and chicken. It was probably the croutons and the little bit of sauce the chicken had. I've only been dx'd for a month and this was my first event I had been to that I had not control over. Guess my lesson was learned the hard way, because even though we ate about 3 hours ago, I am just now starting to feel awful. Bed, here I come.

So sorry you got glutened. Weddings are hard.... but yes, definitely if something has croutons mixed in it's a no-no whether you eat the croutons or not. Also unidentified sauces are really dangerous. But we have to have these learning experiences to teach us what to avoid in the future. Sauces and marinades will get you most often, also processed foods with 'natural flavourings' although they're supposed to label wheat on packages, but they can also put them in wedding banquet stuff too!

It does get easier. This has been a good learning experience, and you are gamer than I was -- I didn't tackle something like this for more than a year :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 StacyA

StacyA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:13 AM

I get symptoms 2 hours later. The next day I feel fatigue.

#10 bobbdvm

bobbdvm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

ALWAYS 3 hours give or take 15 minutes.

#11 Luvbeingamommy

Luvbeingamommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

Interesting....my joint pain is def better, but my stomach systems are still going, but I am sure that is my body detoxing.

So the longer you are gluten free does that mean the worse your reaction will have?? I haven't been gluten-free a terribly long time, just was thinking about that.

Meagan~Happy Mama to my 3 kiddos!

Had a stroke 11-16-09 as a healthy 25 year old, complete workup and found nothing! I *knew* it had to relate with my recent stomach/nausea problems, but was told no for along time. *I* pushed for Celiac testing, even when doctor doubted it.
Positive bloodwork and negative biopsy- 12-09.
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)
Neurologist concluded stroke was caused by Celiac/Gluten Sensitivity!
6-10 Tested IgE allergic to peanuts, green peas, and soybeans.

Kingston age 2 1/2 tested positive via Enterolab, tested poitive for IgA and TTG. Doing MUCH better gluten free as of 3-10.
HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

#12 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

I usually don't have reactions until the next day. Then it is 3 or so days for the neuro symptoms and aches to go away. The gut symptoms go away usually in about 6 hrs. But it depends how much I was eating at the same time and what exactly it was I was eating. At least this far.

#13 Aeva

Aeva

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

For me it seems to depend on what I've eaten recently, and what it is that's glutenous.

If it's a drink, it's pretty much immediate (maybe a 10-15 minute delay at most). If it's food, almost always between the 3 and 4 hour marks. Even my boyfriend will occasionally shout "horray!!" when it's been 4 hours since I've eaten something questionable, and have yet to rush to the bathroom.

-Aeva
GI issues since age 6

Unofficially diagnosed Celiac at age 14 (no improvement)

Officially diagnosed Celiac at 18 (positive blood test)

Severe Vitamin D deficiency caused by Celiac not changing with supplements or diet change

Thalassemia

#14 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

I know within about 20 minutes.

FYI Lipton onion soup is gluten free as far as I know. Do a search for it on here. It used to have gluten if I remember correctly.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#15 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:07 AM

FYI Lipton onion soup is gluten free as far as I know. Do a search for it on here. It used to have gluten if I remember correctly.

We've got to watch those boxes of Lipton onion soup. I just grabbed one at the store one day, which was in the dept. with all the other soups and it has autolyzed yeast extract (barley) in the ingredient list. Strangely the next box I bought at another store doesn't have that in it. The boxes look identical. Even though I buy a product I've used safely before, I always re-read the ingredient list of any product before I actually use it.

Had it been an expensive product, I would have returned it. Since it's not, it'll go in my donate bag for when the Boy Scouts have their food drive before Thanksgiving.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: