This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Pee A Lot?

scuzy

scuzy Rookie

So as the description said I used to pee about every hour. I didn't drink a lot, but after measuring my input and output one day I found that I am normal, but I would always pee 3 oz, aside from when I woke up in the morning and it would be about 8 to 10 oz. The doctor told me that because my output was less then my input that there was nothing he could do, except maybe run some expensive tests, but I don't have health insurance. I have now been gluten free for over 2 months and I can now go between 2 to 4 hours without a trip to the bathroom. So has anyone else had a frequent urination problem, that has lessened or done away with the gluten free diet? Does anyone think it might be related to Celiac? Thanks :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

So as the description said I used to pee about every hour. I didn't drink a lot, but after measuring my input and output one day I found that I am normal, but I would always pee 3 oz, aside from when I woke up in the morning and it would be about 8 to 10 oz. The doctor told me that because my output was less then my input that there was nothing he could do, except maybe run some expensive tests, but I don't have health insurance. I have now been gluten free for over 2 months and I can now go between 2 to 4 hours without a trip to the bathroom. So has anyone else had a frequent urination problem, that has lessened or done away with the gluten free diet? Does anyone think it might be related to Celiac? Thanks :)

ok, so- excuse my rambling/incoherent thoughts:

i do not know of any particular link at all. BUT-

1. i did read that D-Mannose can help to bind up gluten so u can purge it. D-Mannose also binds up sugars in the bladder and can help fight bladder infections.

2. and i worked with a girl who had Interstitial Cystitis which i believe is an autoimmune disease? many people have a few autoimmune diseases as opposed to one.

3. the last time i went back on gluten- i continuously felt like i MIGHT be getting a bladder infection.

4. and- embarrassingly, i was a horrific bed wetter- even into my teens, and always lost it when i laughed too hard.

i dont know if those are linked to gluten at all ??? but that's my 2 cents

chasbari Apprentice

Right before my diagnosis and for the years leading up to it I pretty much had to know where the bathrooms were. I could never get enough to drink but always felt dehydrated. Once I went strict gluten-free I was amazed at the change and would actually be able to go hours ...up to six or more without having to go. I am intentionally hydrating a bit more now but still find it all far more manageable than before my DX.

scuzy Rookie

Hmm, it's interesting to read that you now can go up to 6 hours, maybe after a few more months I can go that long. I did look into the Interstitial Cystitis that cassP mentioned, and it said that people who have it commonly have IBS ( the most common miss diagnoses for celiac). But who knows, I'm just glad that I might have something to look forward to in a few months. :) Thanks you guys, and hopefully I will get some more input to see if there are more people who have (had) this problem.

jjb1234 Rookie

Yes, I have always had this problem. Good to see other mention intersticial cyctitis as this is what I was thinking too.

I have had IC most of my life. Some do believe this is also an autoimmune disorder.

More recently I met with a doc (a neurologist) who said some now believe IC is not it's own condition but probably part of another.

I believe this for sure!

My bladder issues often flair up with other symptoms such as sinus inflammation, rectal inflammation, joint pain, fatigue etc.

I have learned to control my bladder problems the same as I have all my other symptoms which is through diet.

Since I have been doing the gluten challenge ... I have noticed I am peeing a whole lot more .. having to get up in the middle of the night etc.

What I think is happening is I am having some bladder inflammation due to what I have been eating.

Along with my bladder symptoms I am also have left side pain which I think is coming from my colon and joint pain.

Jen

SaraKat Contributor

Not really and I probably drink 150 oz of water a day. I never have to get up in the night probably only go 3x during the day at work. I think I have a big bladder!

sherrylynn Contributor

I have always had a problem with urgency, but about 6 months after having my youngest daughter I ended up having incontinence during the night could not hold it and would wake up at night with the urge to go and knew that when I stood up it would fall out of me. I started having to wear udult pull ups, and now I wear them all the time. :(

It would be sooo great if I didn't have to wear them anymore.

now I can't wait to go gluten free. come on sept 8th, hurry up and get here!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

I have always had a problem with urgency, but about 6 months after having my youngest daughter I ended up having incontinence during the night could not hold it and would wake up at night with the urge to go and knew that when I stood up it would fall out of me. I started having to wear udult pull ups, and now I wear them all the time. :(

It would be sooo great if I didn't have to wear them anymore.

now I can't wait to go gluten free. come on sept 8th, hurry up and get here!! :D

why do u have to wait till sept. 8 ??? do u have blood & biopsy testing scheduled?? oh God, i feel for u.. hope it comes fast for u

sherrylynn Contributor

why do u have to wait till sept. 8 ??? do u have blood & biopsy testing scheduled?? oh God, i feel for u.. hope it comes fast for u

:( no unfortunatly I don't have a biopsy scheduled yet, but I am going to tell the doc to blood test me. I don't think I will have a problem with this doc testing me. time will tell. :)

Travisevian Newbie

Not really and I probably drink 150 oz of water a day. I never have to get up in the night probably only go 3x during the day at work. I think I have a big bladder!

One hundred-fifty fluid ounces a day? With the possible exception of a major athlete, a person would die of water intoxication by drinking that much water.

anabananakins Explorer

One hundred-fifty fluid ounces a day? With the possible exception of a major athlete, a person would die of water intoxication by drinking that much water.

I had to convert that to litres - its about 4.5 - and I used to drink that much each day. Not all at once but between say 6am and 9pm. I tend to drink sips of water all the time.

I'm ok if I kept it around that much at the most, but I find if I have more than that I get even thirstier and it gets out of hand and I start to feel really spacey. My doctor read me the riot act when I told him but once I knew how dangerous it was I got good at stopping well before then - say around 3 or 3.5 litres.

Takala Enthusiast

I used to have to go a lot, lot more, and had frequent UTI's.

It was protein and calcium crystals in the bladder, irritating it, because the body will rob your bones when it's malnourished, to maintain calcium levels in the blood, only nobody knew why at the time. I got a little bit better by taking a lot of calcium citrate, don't take calcium carbonate (Tums) because that makes it even worse.

Much better now. :)

SaraKat Contributor

HAHA, it's really not that much! I sit at my desk all day at work and just keep refilling my water bottle (20 oz) and then I usually drink a few glasses at night! I do workout 4-5 days a week. Never once did I get sick.

Also- I don't like pop or juices so water to me tastes great.

Travisevian Newbie

HAHA, it's really not that much!

Actually, it is, especially considering the fact that one consumes water in the form of fruits, vegetables, etc. Perhaps, you're misjudging the amount of water you're really drinking but I've studied nutrition in college and learned about the dangers of water intoxication. To consume as much water as you've claimed is very dangerous.

SaraKat Contributor

Actually, it is, especially considering the fact that one consumes water in the form of fruits, vegetables, etc. Perhaps, you're misjudging the amount of water you're really drinking but I've studied nutrition in college and learned about the dangers of water intoxication. To consume as much water as you've claimed is very dangerous.

Well, if you studied it in college you must know that the human kidneys of a healthy adult can process up to 15 liters of water a day (507 ozs) so I am drinking far less that what is considered "very" dangerous. I am not looking to get into an argument with you, but I also know that I am not being dangerous with the amt of water I am drinking.

Also, water intoxication happens when you drink a lot of water very fast. I drink my 150 oz starting at 9am and ending at 9pm and I run 3 miles 5 days a week, so that is hardly a dangerous amount to be drinking!

Archived