6 replies to this topic

#1 HappyGrandma

HappyGrandma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

Ordered off their gluten-free menu but it was nasty. Steak and shrimp with brocoli. Steak was tough, raw, and downright nasty. Brocoli wasn't done. Waitstaff nice and took off the bill. The whole plate looked nasty!!! Glad I didn't eat it probably wasn't gluten-free anyhow.
So came home and ate a gluten-free waffle which is carbs and sugar. Yuck.

Hate nights out like that.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

Ordered off their gluten-free menu but it was nasty. Steak and shrimp with brocoli. Steak was tough, raw, and downright nasty. Brocoli wasn't done. Waitstaff nice and took off the bill. The whole plate looked nasty!!! Glad I didn't eat it probably wasn't gluten-free anyhow.

I have a gluten-free friend who has eaten at our local Outback and she has done well everytime. I have yet to attempt this. I really think it depends on the cooks and how well they are. Sorry you had a bad experience.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#3 CaraLouise

CaraLouise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:14 AM

I just went Sunday to one in Plano, TX and it was disappointing too.

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

Let's see, if the steak was too raw for you, then you send it back for more cooking. Cooks sometimes undercook a little bit because if they overcook, there's no way undo that. Not sure about the tough part, I've never had tough meat at OB. Same with the broccoli. If you like your broccoli cooked to death (yuck), that's not the way Outback does it. They leave it somewhat crispy, but you can always get it cooked more. Probably not gluten-free? How did you order it? If you ordered it gluten-free, it probably was (although there's a chance of CC at ANY restaurant).

richard

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

I like my veggies well cooked--at Outback, I always request that they come "well steamed". We have to ask for what we need since all people don't like things done the same way.

I would asked if they could have put the meat back on the grill for a few minutes (or replace if it was truly too tough to eat) and re-steamed the brocolli. I've been to Outbacks in 3 different states and at each one, they were more than happy to accomodate.

Not to say that bad service/meal prep can't happen anywhere, but we have to be proactive.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

Sometimes steaks aren't good even at good resturants. I would try again. I went last week and they had a new dish so I tryed it. It was pork roast with a sweet sauce and red potatoes. It was very good.
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac
Lactose intolerant discovered August 2010
Hypothyroid Dx 2009. Sleep Apnea 2005

#7 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:18 AM

I don't like the Outback. They bring way too much food and that {special) steak is always tough. By the time you eat that bread (well, nevermind that part) and the salad and appetizers, you're stuffed and even their forks and knives are giant sized and it just gives me the creeps, it's just all too much.

But they have a great drink there called a WallaBeDarned, it's delicious.
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: