This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Grill Contamination

Emme999

Emme999 Enthusiast

Hey, I am wondering about the whole "grill contamination" thing. Does it really happen? Wouldn't the gluten burn off or something?

I'm really irritated by this thought because my family has a barbeque where they have previously used many marinades & such which contain gluten. I hate not being able to eat grilled chicken & steak & various other grilled foods because I'm afraid that some gluten has survived on the grill. It seems ridiculous to me.

I've seen many warnings about this but I wonder if anyone actually knows for sure that it's possible. I hate the idea of not eating grilled food at restaurants because I'm concerned that they use gluten containing sauces on other foods they grill.

If you could tell me - with any degree of certainty - that you have been "glutened" by a grill, please let me know. Or, if you know how the chemical compounds of foods change after being burned - let me know that too! I would like to know if this is something that I *really* need to be concerned about or if it's a celiac myth.

Thanks,

- Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Anne Lee said that it's safe to use the same grill (such as in a restaurant) because it burns off. I haven't had any personal experience with either being glutened or not being glutened, because I haven't used a glutened grill before.

Guest Viola

I don't know if it is a myth or not, but I have been told by several restaurant cooks that no cook would 'not' clean a grill after each meal as they don't want to change the taste of the foods by cross contamination from the last food cooked. So .. I don't worry about it too much at restaurants. :)

At home here, we have a grill plate ... a slotted tray ... that fits on top of the grill for preventing hamburgers and smaller pieces of meat from falling through. This just comes in the house and is washed the same as any fry pan would be. So ... I don't worry about that either. I would like to hear from the "scientific" view point as to whether or not gluten can survive a burning on the grill. Anything left on the grates are 'always' burned, as we well know :lol:

skbird Contributor

I eat regularly at a bbq at my health food store and always ask them to clean the grill when they cook my turkey patty ("turkey patty with provolone and avocado, no seasoning, please clean the grill"). I have not ever been glutened after eating there. They use bbq sauce and other things on the grill and sometimes my food takes a little longer because of cleaning the grill, and they have to wait for other food on it to be done.

I also eat food off of our grill which has had glutened food on it before (and sauce, mainly soy sauce) and not had any problem. I also ate a steak the other day off of my parents grill - I didn't see them clean it first (wasn't there) so don't know but didn't get glutened. They do carefully cook mine separately.

Anecdotal at best. I know of people who get glutened from using charcoal briquets (I think it's Kingsford - they use wheat as a binder in it) and the web will say that they're ok because the gluten burns up but people still have gotten sick. So I'd avoid those. Mesquite tastes better, anyway.

Stephanie

angel-jd1 Community Regular

At the beginning of my gluten free days, I was using a charcoal grill and kingsford charcoal and was getting sick after each time I bbqed. Finally sent a letter to kingsford and they use corn and wheat for their charcoal. They "claim" <_< that it burns off before reaching the food, however I know that I had a reaction. I went out and bought a gas grill after getting their email.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

connole1056 Rookie

Viola, Is the frill plate you mentioned available in most stores? It seems like a wonderful idea for when the grill is not cleaned, like in the middle of a cookout. I could put my daughters food on it and she would not have to wait. Also, do you know the brand name and where you got it? I hope this is not an inconvenience. If it is, I understand if you do not answer.

connole1056 Rookie

Sorry, I obviously meant "grill", nor "frill" plate. I am horrible typist!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

Yes, the grill tray should be available in most hardware stores. It is navy blue with the lighter spots in it, just like the old roast pans in colour. Or an oven pan. It just has holes like a strainer, but of course it is a flat tray. The meat fat drains through the holes, and you get the same flavour of the grill. They are very reasonable in price, and it takes two to cover our big old gas grill. I haven't any idea what the brand name would be, we bought it several years ago and it doesn't have a name on it, must have been just on the wrapper.

I don't know where you are, but we bought ours in Canadian Tire. I haven't looked, but it is likely WalMart would carry something similiar.

Hope you can find them :D

Emme999 Enthusiast
Anne Lee said that it's safe to use the same grill (such as in a restaurant) because it burns off.  I haven't had any personal experience with either being glutened or not being glutened, because I haven't used a glutened grill before.

celiac3270 - Who is Anne Lee? :huh: Reliable source?

This is interesting.. it appears that no one has been glutened by a contaminated grill.. hmm... does this mean that I can eat chicken at Rumbi's island grill? (Where they grill steak that's marinated with wheat soy sauce?) I've eaten this a couple of times and not gotten sick - but since I don't have acute reactions like so many other celiacs, I am looking for input.

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I'm *really* wondering now!

- Michelle :wub:

VydorScope Proficient
celiac3270 - Who is Anne Lee? :huh: Reliable source?

This is interesting.. it appears that no one has been glutened by a contaminated grill.. hmm... does this mean that I can eat chicken at Rumbi's island grill? (Where they grill steak that's marinated with wheat soy sauce?) I've eaten this a couple of times and not gotten sick - but since I don't have acute reactions like so many other celiacs, I am looking for input.

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I'm *really* wondering now!

All as I can say is that when I was a short order cook, we NEVER cleanded the grill between orders. IT only got cleaned at the end of the day, and there was never a problem of cross contimation of flavors at least... but this was before I knew about celiac disease....

celiac3270 Collaborator

Anne Lee is a nutritionist at Columbia Presbyterian (where Green is) and seems to be, in nutrition, undisputed as the most knowledgeable aboout celiac.

mommida Enthusiast

So how much heat is needed to destroy the protein chain of gluten? If I knew that I would feel more comfortable in making the decision. Until I know, I am going to clean the grill.

Laura

mytummyhurts Contributor
All as I can say is that when I was a short order cook, we NEVER cleanded the grill between orders. IT only got cleaned at the end of the day, and there was never a problem of cross contimation of flavors at least... but this was before I knew about celiac disease....

What would you have done if specifically asked to clean the grill? Would that have been a big issue? I'm just thinking, to be safe, ask them to clean it first.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

In my opninion there is no way to know for sure what goes on in the kitchen, unless you go and look. I personally would not allow my food to be cooked on a grill that has had gluten on it. There is no way to tell if all the gluten has been burned off, unless you did a chemical analysis.

When I have BBQ's I cook my food on the grill in tin foil to prevent cross-contamination. I actually prefer my food to be cooked on tin foil since it helps prevent burnt food, which is yucky and unhealthy.

kelmcclellan Newbie

Not sure about all places or grills, but I got sick from eating at Steak-n-Shake. All I had was a plain grilled chicken breast.

Does it annoy anyone else when resturants fry french fries in the same oil as something battered?

Also, I wish a company would make gluten free pop tarts!!!

Guest Viola

Kelly, you are so right. It really annoys me when they use the same oil for coated stuff! :angry: French fries are so safe for the majority of most celiacs, and for that matter, people with wheat allergies. It seems such a simple thing to keep them separate. I suppose most small kitchens do only have one oil vat though, but they could just get a big deep fryer. :rolleyes:

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Does it annoy anyone else when resturants fry french fries in the same oil as something battered?

yes :angry:

I love french fries and putting gluten free fries in gluten oil just ruins them <_<

cdford Contributor

I have had restaurants refuse to cook something on their grill for fear of cross contamination as they used gluten containing seasonings. They fixed for me, just differently.

I have been glutened by a grill experience, but I am not sure if it was carelessness on the part of the family member cooking or a true "grill problem". I had no idea that the charcoal could be a problem either. Good grief, why use wheat in charcoal!

lovegrov Collaborator

Use natural, all wood charcoal. Briquettes have all types of crap in them.

richard

loregon Newbie

Does Anna Lee or Columbia Presbyterian have a website. If so, what is it?

Thanks,

Lorrie

jenvan Collaborator

hmmm--charcoal! luckily we have an electric grill. but i think when we're renting a cabin this weekend it will be a charcoal grill. what if you were using kingsford, but wrapped your meat in foil. wouldn't it be safe then, i would think ?

lovegrov Collaborator

It should be fine wrapped in foil.

richard

Carriefaith Enthusiast

When I cook food on the grill, I make a cake-like pan out of 2-3 layers of tin foil. This works for me and I don't remember getting sick from doing this.

Emme999 Enthusiast

Hey I went to a Gluten Intolerance Group meeting here in SLC the other night and they discussed reading labels & diet. I asked about this (grill contamination) and the everyone there said that they wouldn't eat on a grill that had been used with gluten containing marinades. They also said that it wouldn't burn off. The leader of the group has been gluten-free for 22 years, and a lot of other people have been doing this for a really long time also. So...

So now I am really confused! :blink:

But I took a (celiac!) friend with me and she said that there's no way she would eat something cooked on a grill in a restaurant. She's highly sensitive and has worked in a fast food place - she said they never clean the grill and it's too dangerous.

I'd really like to see some reliable information here :huh: Does Ms. Lee have printed information out or anything?

Oh - BTW (this is kind of funny) - The other night my mom cooked hamburgers on the barbeque for us and I thought "Okay, this is safe! The only dressing they've used to marinate anything they've cooked is gluten-free! :)" Then (halfway through the meal) my mom turns to my dad and says, "Do you like your hamburger honey? I even toasted the bun on the grill for you!"

:blink:

Gotta love 'em :rolleyes:

jknnej Collaborator

Just put your food on foil.

Our propane grill has had all kinds of gluten containing marinade on it.

I put my meat on foil and it works just fine; I've never been sick.

When I go to BBQ's I ask them to cook my meat on foil and make sure their other utensils don't touch it. if it's a close friend or family member I'm OK with it; if not I supervise or do it myself. Never had a problem; most people are terrified of making me sick so they're not offended by it. If they were offended they wouldn't be friends of mine, anyway and I wouldn't be eating at their house LOL.

When I go to a restaurant I ask them to cook my meat on a piece of foil, too, and bring it out to me on the foil (my way of checking if they did it).

It is SO much easier than asking them to clean the grill where you have NO way of knowing if they did so or not unless you can actually see them do it.

Foil is the best and is so easy:)

Archived