19 replies to this topic

#1 Gardening

Gardening

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:06 AM

My 2 year old has been gluten free for one week. I have not seen any changes yet. I know one week is not much, but I was so hoping for a magic bullet...

When did you first notice changes/improvements?
Older child dx with gluten sensitivity via high IGG gluten
Also very high IGG to milk, eggs, tomatoes, some other fruit and veg
Low vitamins and minerals (vitamin malabsorption)
Neg. celiac panel EXCEPT low total IGA
22 AGA IGA on Enterolab

Younger child with 118 AGA IGA and 26 TTG on Enterolab

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Luvbeingamommy

Luvbeingamommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:34 AM

Give it more time, what were his main symptoms???

I know for myself, I felt worse before I felt better.

We did see an instant improvement with my young ds though, but he was pooping 5-7 time per day.

Meagan~Happy Mama to my 3 kiddos!

Had a stroke 11-16-09 as a healthy 25 year old, complete workup and found nothing! I *knew* it had to relate with my recent stomach/nausea problems, but was told no for along time. *I* pushed for Celiac testing, even when doctor doubted it.
Positive bloodwork and negative biopsy- 12-09.
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)
Neurologist concluded stroke was caused by Celiac/Gluten Sensitivity!
6-10 Tested IgE allergic to peanuts, green peas, and soybeans.

Kingston age 2 1/2 tested positive via Enterolab, tested poitive for IgA and TTG. Doing MUCH better gluten free as of 3-10.
HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

#3 Gardening

Gardening

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

Up to 5 poops/day, mostly undigested food.

Today, her first poop was at 1:30pm, and from a distance, it would have looked normal and formed (up close there was still undigested food, but not as much).

So maybe we're turning a corner...
Older child dx with gluten sensitivity via high IGG gluten
Also very high IGG to milk, eggs, tomatoes, some other fruit and veg
Low vitamins and minerals (vitamin malabsorption)
Neg. celiac panel EXCEPT low total IGA
22 AGA IGA on Enterolab

Younger child with 118 AGA IGA and 26 TTG on Enterolab

#4 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

The first thing we noticed was his energy level increased and his naps got shorter. It was a couple of weeks when he started looking healthier (skin complexion, darkness under eyes lessened). It was about a month to see real weight gain and growth and ...chubbier cheeks! Be patient, it can take a long while to heal and recover.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#5 Beth03456

Beth03456

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:02 AM

My son had just turned 3 when he was diagnosed. He had been very tired all the time prior to that, and dropped his nap altogether within 6 weeks after going gluten-free. He seemed to have lots more energy in general - less reliance on the stroller and more interest in walking/scooting. Also he started growing a bit within a couple months - went from 18 mo clothes to 2T.

I would give it a bit more time. We didn't have any bathroom-related symptoms, so there wasn't much change in that for us.
-Beth

Mommy to Steven, age 4 - diagnosed with Celiac July 2009 at age 3 via TTG IGA and endoscope/biopsy. He's grown several inches since going gluten-free!
And to Paige, age 6 - No celiac disease, just a picky eater

#6 Kelly&Mom

Kelly&Mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:17 PM

It can take a while. My daughter was 13 when diagnosed so she had been ill for a while. Our pediatrician said 6 mos. for recovery. He recommended giving her fish oil too as apparently it is healing for your insides. Prior to diagnosis she was pale, thin, had eczema, not a whole lot of personality, always looked sad. About 3 mos. in she started getting more color in her skin, started gaining weight. She looked better but still had stomach problems so we went back and she was also diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. We've been filtering out what foods are triggers and for her dairy is definitely out. Give it some time but don't wait too long if you aren't getting any results. Oh! Her eczema is gone!!
Celiac disease, diagnosed 2/10, symptoms since I was about 13 or so. Mom died of non-Hodgkins lymphoma that originated in her intestinal tract at age 56

Daughter, 14 yrs. old, diagnosed 9/10 after about a year of stomach problems, eczema (now gone!!), also has IBS

#7 THernandez

THernandez

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hi, I'm new here. We're coming up on the 4th anniversary of our diagnosis. My son was 3-1/2 at the time of diagnosis, about 6 months into symptoms. Poor kid was eating pasta 3 times a day, because it was all he wanted and I just wanted him to eat something. So, when we finally went gluten-free, his improvement was rather dramatic, but he was also very, very sick. Like others, I noticed an improvement in his energy first. He would mostly just lie around on the floor all day; didn't run with his twin brother, or partake in other activities. After about a week, I noticed he was moving around more, smiling more, and just seemed happier. Within 2 weeks he had a lot more energy.

His gastro symptoms were white, yes white poop, and throwing up daily. The vomiting stopped within a few days. I don't remember how long it took his poop to return to normal.

Good luck. I know the not knowing is always the hardest part; the part that keeps parents up at night and makes us sit in the dark and cry.
Theresa
Mom to three fabulous celiac kids

#8 crimsonviolet

crimsonviolet

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

Within days, older son's rash disappeared, and his behavior did a 180 turn for the better. We were considering an evaluation for autism, but now as long as we keep gluten out of his diet I don't think it's necessary. He can actually function and has lost most of his aggressive behavior. He got glutened this weekend and I got a glimpse of what he used to be like. It wasn't pretty.

My younger son hasn't shown much change. He did have a sandpapery rash along his torso that's mostly gone now so he was definitely reacting to some extent. That disappeared within 2 weeks or so.

#9 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:54 AM

He stopped throwing up 10 times a day. The bloody noses stopped. He stopped fighting with his sister all the time. The rash went away. He was more organized at school. He was happier.

But, he kept getting glutened. It took a long time to figure out which foods he could eat. He is very sensitive and we found that we had to avoid "processed in a facility that also processes...". Then we had to carefully check everything for cc. Big pain. We spent the summer doing elimination diets to figure out what started to get him near the end of the last school year. We finally figured it out and it's back to school again. What a summer!

#10 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

My 2 year old has been gluten free for one week. I have not seen any changes yet. I know one week is not much, but I was so hoping for a magic bullet...

When did you first notice changes/improvements?

I think your 2yo is lucky. My son had some GI symptoms, dental enamel defects, delayed growth/puberty, recurring mouth sores. He was 15, had a bone age of 12 and weighed only 95 pounds (and had weighed 92 at age 12).

He didn't notice any immediate improvements, but what he said broke my heart: "I never realized that eating wasn't supposed to hurt." The poor kid lived 15 years with this.

We used to wonder why he was so crabby and lacking in energy. As you can see from my signature, he went gluten-free/DF and though we don't have a true diagnosis, he is happy to be bigger and healthy. He will have to decide for himself whether or not to do a gluten challenge in a few years.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#11 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:52 AM

My dd was 4 when she was diagnosed--no more tummy aches (that was her only symptom)

My son was 2 1/2. Major changes in a matter of a week:
All Autistic tendancies were GONE!!!!!
gained 3#
started speaking in complete sentences
started potty training
started eating us out of house and home
started interacting with kids at school
no more brain fog-he could concentrate on 1 activity for more than a few minutes
greatly reduced amount of tantrums and frustrations

Honestly, he was a different kid and this is no exaggeration, all this happened within the first week. His teachers were telling me by day 2 that he was a totally different kid and people who saw him regularly-like my parents and girlfriends-couldn't believe the change.

The hardest part was that in 3 months, he went from the 10% in height and weight to the 75% for height and the 50% for weight (and has remained exactly at that point for the past 3 years!!). He was in so much pain! He went from wearing 12-18mo clothing (as a 2.5 year old) to wearing 3T clothes. His shoe size went from a 6mo old infant size, to a size 7 in those 3 months as well. It was CRAZY!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#12 javic

javic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Are there any more folks with stories like these? My son is 4yo and has just had a positive blood test com so hoping his grumpiness and aggressiveness will vanish.

#13 mamaofaceliac

mamaofaceliac

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

My daughter had not gained a single ounce from the age of 1.5 to 2.5. In the first weeks on a gluten-free diet she gained about a pound a week. She stopped vomiting. She immediately lost her dissented belly a few days into the diet. The circles under her eyes were gone within weeks. Her mood stabilized although she is still a toddler ;) and she regained an appetite. It has been an amazing transformation and such a relief! Now we aren't sure what symptoms to look for if she is accidentlly exposed., if it will be a full blowing vomit episode or a belly ache....

#14 Mary5757

Mary5757

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

It took us two weeks to notice an improvement. She gained 2 lbs over the first month. Eating was better, mood was better, more active, happier, definitely more energy! I think she is still healing though. It's only been 2 months and she is 20 months so we are also dealing with the terrible 2's. It's tough to know what the full extent of Improvement in behavior is!

#15 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

It was a dramatic behavior change that took us to the doctor in the first place. Our 5 year old was suddenly having tantrums over nothing, struggling with the slightest frustration (socks won't go on!), and no longer enjoyed things that he previously loved. The change was overnight (seemingly). The actual diagnosis took months, so we sort of got used to it. When he was finally able to be gluten free, the change in behavior was almost immediate (yay!) and then I gradually saw changes - some that I hadn't even noticed as "symptoms." He was sleeping better, happy, full of energy, etc. He also grew 3 inches in about 2 months.

I was sad when I heard him singing in his room while playing legos. I hadn't even noticed that this cheerful habit had stopped! We were so stressed by the tantrums I didn't notice all the little subtle things. Poor kid felt so crappy that he couldn't really enjoy anything.

After two weeks it was like we had our son back.

Cara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: