2 replies to this topic

#1 debcoral

debcoral

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

Yes I know its a horrid thing to discuss.
I was initially diagnosed withLPR due to an incessant dry cough and voice problems.The camera down my throat showed swollen vocal bits and pieces( cant remember the name).
I have an acidy taste at the back of my throat.foul smelling acidy loose stools,gassy tummy, a coated tongue.
I stopped using a mouthwash and cut out dairy and gluten - probably not 100 per cent but nigh on.The cough stopped and I felt a whole lot better.Then I got my appt through with a new gastro consultant and they want to do a biopsy to test for celiac.I was told to eat gluten for 4-6 weeks prior to test and now my acid stools and breath are back.It almost tastes like those old fashioned pear drop sweets.
I had a 24 ph test for acid reflux and it came back all clear.All my acid suppressing medications had no effect so I stopped taking them.
Any ideas or comments would be greatly received as I know my friends and family just do not realise how ill this makes me feel on a daily basis.
Thanks for listening .

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 adab8ca

adab8ca

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

i will be horrid with you!
my stools are ACRID. I think I know what you mean, although not loose but very acidic smelling..as well, i have a crazy coated tongue that feels SO weird and also like it has been hit with some acid. i have never described it that way and my Dr has no idea why although i am very new to this, so maybe stopping the gluten will help.

i went for the biopsy because i wanted something defnite (but I really have no GI symptoms, more neuro, so I wanted to know if we should be looking for something else)...if you need the answers, go for the testing. if you feel better without it and don't want a formal diagnosis, skip it. Did you have any blood testing done for the antibodies?
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#3 debcoral

debcoral

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

i will be horrid with you!
my stools are ACRID. I think I know what you mean, although not loose but very acidic smelling..as well, i have a crazy coated tongue that feels SO weird and also like it has been hit with some acid. i have never described it that way and my Dr has no idea why although i am very new to this, so maybe stopping the gluten will help.

i went for the biopsy because i wanted something defnite (but I really have no GI symptoms, more neuro, so I wanted to know if we should be looking for something else)...if you need the answers, go for the testing. if you feel better without it and don't want a formal diagnosis, skip it. Did you have any blood testing done for the antibodies?

Yes but unfortunately I had decided off my own back to cut out dairy and gluten and been doing so for 6 weeks prior to my gastro appt.I saw a registrar initially who sent me for the blood test and i explained I had been dieting gluten free for 6 weeks and she said no matter go ahead with the test but I see now that this will give a false result.
Yes I agree as soon as I have had the biopsyon 27th September I am off the gluten irrespective of the results.
I found an interesting sight - have a look - www.cryingoverspiltmilk.co.nz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: