18 replies to this topic

#16 HDG-MA

HDG-MA

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

I am a new member here and although my story is long, I must say I am rather dissappointed by the responses to the question of whether there are natural remedies available to those suffering dermatitis herpetiformis or DH. Because there are.

I realize the original posting date of this particular question was in September, and here it is in the last days of December. Hence my addition would be considered late after the fact. But here I am reading this, and perhaps the information I have to add will benefit others in which read this at this later date.

PABA or Para-Amino Benzoic Acid taken orally by mouth and cited by varying references from 200 mgs 4 to 5 times per day and up to 9,000 to 12,000 mgs per day as an alternative treatment for dermatitis herpetiformis. May I suggest the best sources for dosages would be from the online medical journals using cross reference search terms, PABA, dermatitis herpetiformis. You can also use these search terms in your address bar for more general online information as well.

Additional information would also apply to the cross linking of collagen fibers in DH, the relation to IgA depostion and cross linking, and PABA's role in preventing the abnormal cross linking occuring in DH.

Also applicable to the occurence of Vitiligo which seems to occur quite frequently alongside Celiac and especially DH, and resulting from a lack of all B vitamins due to the malabsorption and intestinal dysbiosis associated with Celiac.

DMAE or Dimethylethanolamine can also be used topically alongside the oral dosages of PABA. This is a salt of PABA and something I have found helpful for the crazy itch associated with DH.

PABA is considered an alternative to Dapsone therapy.

Good luck.

LaurieL

Never too late, LaurieL!!  I become so frustrated with some of the DANGEROUS information handed out by uninformed 'people' out here on the internet! There is a lie going around, endangering lives, in regards to drinking lite beer.

THANK YOU for sharing this! Dapsone is a very dangerous drug. I can't wait to get some DMAE out of the frig & try it!

Had to take a moment & thank you for sharing, a little 'hope'. I am EXHAUSTED from living with this STALKER! I got my 1st breakout on my ankle, after sitting cross legged in my fresh sod. That was 14 yrs ago. (I had been diagnosed by my chiropractor 16 yrs ago w/celiac). Since the 1st time, the DH spred to both ankles, then spread over my entire feet. Then my hands. They would swell, I can't hold the steering wheel. They are hot, itch sooo bad, blisters come, & my entire hands peel until I have raw hands. I won't go into other details, but as you know, what a nightmare!!  No blisters for a record time of 3 (THREE) months! At present the skin is softening, healing, swelling is gone. BUT THE ITCHING HASN'T STOPPED.  I will find out the doses I need, & go drop some liquid on my hands. 

I pray it works for me, then I too, can pass it on, maybe help someone else.  Thanks again.

Carol

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 HDG-MA

HDG-MA

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:27 AM

There is an ointment at drug-stores, Wal-Mart's, etc, called Blue-Star Ointment. I use it, and it works really well. I have noticed that my DH gets worse when I use moisturizing soap, such as Oil of Olay w/ moisturizer. I use Dial, and it works really well. I was diagnosed at 15, and the doctor who diagnosed me had never even heard of Celiac. It was not wide-spread back then, and there was little information about the effect of eating gluten, even when you are allergic. I recently did my own research, finally, and I am happy to say that I will be starting my new gluten-free diet in a few weeks. I want to make sure I have everything I need before I start, because I don't want to start then end up having to eat gluten. I am also a diabetic, with extremely low-running blood sugars (in the 20s!), and sometimes I do not have much of a choice as to avoiding gluten. Anyhow, I am extremely excited! I live in Noblesville, Indiana, and a woman recently opened a gluten-free bakery here. I am getting a bread machine next week, to make my own gluten-free bread when I choose to. I am very excited, wish me luck! I am hoping that my life-long rashes will finally go away!

Our stories are so similar, I do relate to "life-long rashes". I will also pick up this ointment, I keep searching for something to 'tame' the itch. 16 yrs ago, I was diagnosed by my chiropractor, (while the neuro doc, who had ordered all of the tests we asked for, was going to put me on some med, & told me I had mono , also.) My chiro read the labs, & said, chronic fatigue (Epstein Barr Virus), & celiac. The body became healthy, healthy (!!) except for the rashes, blisters, swelling & itching, attacking my hands, both feet, then back & forth for the last 14 yrs.

I am learning  about 'salt'--that it is even in purified water, probably IODIZED, creating constant outbreaks. So I drink distilled, & use Celtic sea  salt, which you may want to check out. seasaltsociety is the website. May even help with your blood sugar.

I wish you all the blessings that come with your new journey! It is not hard to live  pretty much gluten free, & the mind clarity, energy, peace, memory refreshed, sure make it worth the changes! Good Luck, and there are so many good recipes & info. on the net. (And  there are, some morons who give bad information.)  We learn alot about ourselves, this life, with much research.

#18 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,686 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Our stories are so similar, I do relate to "life-long rashes". I will also pick up this ointment, I keep searching for something to 'tame' the itch. 16 yrs ago, I was diagnosed by my chiropractor, (while the neuro doc, who had ordered all of the tests we asked for, was going to put me on some med, & told me I had mono , also.) My chiro read the labs, & said, chronic fatigue (Epstein Barr Virus), & celiac. The body became healthy, healthy (!!) except for the rashes, blisters, swelling & itching, attacking my hands, both feet, then back & forth for the last 14 yrs.

I am learning  about 'salt'--that it is even in purified water, probably IODIZED, creating constant outbreaks. So I drink distilled, & use Celtic sea  salt, which you may want to check out. seasaltsociety is the website. May even help with your blood sugar.

I wish you all the blessings that come with your new journey! It is not hard to live  pretty much gluten free, & the mind clarity, energy, peace, memory refreshed, sure make it worth the changes! Good Luck, and there are so many good recipes & info. on the net. (And  there are, some morons who give bad information.)  We learn alot about ourselves, this life, with much research.

This thread is 3 years old.  We have some very recent discussions of DH.  You might get someone answering back on one of those?  :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#19 mastercelo

mastercelo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Here's what's helping for me:

Skin:

- Organic Jojoba oil on the body 2x a day (in the morning and before going to bed). It helps the itching and redness. I also tried Avocado Oil, but it seems that jojoba oil works better for me.

http://www.nowfoods....oba-Oil-4oz.htm

- Organic argan oil on the face and scalp. Also 2x a day.

- When I shower, I use Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap. My favorite is based on hemp oil (the green label).

Diet:

- Only real, unprocessed food. And, if it's prepared, I want to know how it was done. When I eat out, I tend to choose the safest route and only order salads with dressing on the side, in case I don't know what's in it.

- At home, I steam my vegetables or eat them raw. I also eat a lot of fat (avocado, olive oil) and beans (lentils, pinto, chicken peas). The ratio of fat/protein/carbs may vary from person to person.

- No sugar or artificial sweeteners.

- No grains, including whole grains.

- Nothing that spikes my blood sugar level, including juice fruits. I only eat whole fruits and not a lot of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: