19 replies to this topic

#16 Stu

Stu

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

There are definitely different levels of sensitivity to gluten.

True story: I go to the doctor's office. The nurse/receptionist hands me a pen and clipboard, and I take a seat in the waiting room to fill out the forms. Within a minute or so, I get a nasty tin-foil taste in my mouth and my lips begin to burn. First stage of gluten exposure? Nah... Couldn't be. I'm in a DOCTOR'S OFFICE for cryin' out loud. Must be my imagination or something. I continue to fill out the forms. Then, I start to cough and gag - DEFINITELY gluten exposure, but where and how is it possible? That's when I look around and see the nurse/receptionist who handed me the pen and clipboard sitting at her desk noshing on a baggie full of banana bread. Geez! At least she could have wiped her hands off before she handed me the forms, that's just good hygiene! I quickly finish filling out the forms and hand them in. The nurses all back away from me because the reaction is now so strong they are convinced I have the dreaded Swine Flu... I excuse myself, then go to the bathroom to throw-up...
I explain this to my doctor when I see him. He scoffs, and tells me I have Acid Reflux... I never went back for the follow-up.

The dermal immune system in your skin is the first one to react, and it happens so quickly and effectively that researchers believe they can improve the efficacy of vaccines by mimicking that response as the vaccines are administered. For this reason, there is no doubt in my mind that an anti-gliaden immune response can be initiated the moment someone simply comes into contact with a source of wheat gluten. It has happened to me many times, just coming into contact with bread crumbs or an empty pizza box. It can be a real pain in the neck, but on the positive side I never accidentally ingest wheat gluten when I can "feel" it before I'm at risk of becoming seriously exposed to it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 MarkLevy

MarkLevy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

I just want to start out by saying hello to everyone. I'm new here and just signed up today.

My husband was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a few years ago and he has been sticking to the gluten free diet and i do all i can to make sure the gluten we have at home NEVER comes into contact with his food, pots, pans etc. but we have 2 small children who havent been showing any signs of having a gluten sensitivity (for now but we get their blood checked every few years) and so they have their snacks that contain gluten. My husband has noticed that if he even TOUCHES any crumbs or pieces of their snacks laying around (kids are messy) that he gets sick. Also if we happen to be over a family members house and they are cooking anything with gluten in it like pasta or bread, he also feels very sick. Is it possible for someone to be SO sensative to gluten that even if they DONT eat it and just touch or smell it they can get sick?

We are still fairly new to all of the rules since he was only diagnosed 2-3 years ago and ive heard it takes a long time to get everything perfect. He still isnt feeling 100% even though he's sticking to a gluten free diet and we are trying to figure out why. Thank you for listening everyone.

dont let anyone tell u your nuts i have the same problem. gotten so bad wife or kids make toast and im sleeping i awaken so violently sick almost ten fold what happens if i eat gluten. i got so i had to sell the deli/catering company i had...couldnt walk into the front door of my own restaraunt. i even tried uising an epi pen / benadryl / albuterol when i had an attack that a doctor scarcastically gave me a perscription for all the while telling me i was nuts and its medically impossibleto have a reaction from smelling it as he said if that was the case you think the  airlines would give u peanuts...people with peanut allergies dont drop from smelling peanuts....so much ignorance around soo many educated people...i wish i had a medical answer or reason for you all i can sa is your not alone and trust your body

#18 MarkLevy

MarkLevy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

has anyone ever heard of cocaine? ever see a movie they are all wearing masks? ever walk into a lab where cocaine was being made?of probably not but if you did without a mask on you would not only get high your blood would test positive......how is walking down the bread isle for an extremly sensitive celiac/non celiac with gluten intolerence any different?? time and time again (thank god...ok not thank god as i dont want others suffering but thank god as now i know im not the only one) but thank god im reading all these posts saying i live near a wheat farm and in peak season im glutened every day....i cant walk down the bread isle....i cant walk into a pizza place....none of you are crazy!! i owned a successful deli/catering company i sold because going to work was making me so ill i was positive i had ms...what was it...airborne gluten....i dont care what any professional tells me i know what my body says

#19 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

You've bumped an old thread. The topic starter hasn't been here in quite some time either.

#20 Scarletgrrrl

Scarletgrrrl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

My partner baked a packet mix cake (with gluten in it) and I couldn't stop sneezing smelling it cooking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: