This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hot Dog Bun!

LauraBeth

LauraBeth Rookie

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to put it. I'll tell you, it really helped me cope! Not sure if we're supposed to post links but here's where I saw this:

Open Original Shared Link

Basically you cut your bagel in half (not to split it but actually in half down the middle), then stand it up on the flat side and open where the cut is. This is brilliant as far as I'm concerned! I really like the Ballpark Smoked White Turkey hot dogs and I miss eating them in a bun with all the usual toppings. I tried the Kinnickinnick buns and honestly couldn't even eat them they were so dry and hard and just yucky. Love the Udi's bagels though so this was a good solution. I hear rumours they have hamburger and hot dog buns in process. How cool would that be?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

You can also make a gluten-free bun in a cup, microwave, only do it in a ramekin so you have something shaped like a little round cake.

Then do as you described, slice in half, to make 2 half moon shapes. Then stand on the flat end and slice into the round end.

Recipe, roughly, is a small glop of olive oil, 1 egg, dash apple cider vinegar beaten in the baking cup ramekin or bowl. Add small amt of honey or molasses if you like. Add aprox. 1/2 to 2/3 to 3/4 cup of your prefered gluten free flour mixture, dash salt, pinch spice, optional seasonings such as cumin, fennel or anise or poppyseed, half teaspoon cocoa powder, pinch of cinnamon. Add about 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Add additional water if necessary, mix to make batter. Bake in microwave, timing carefully. Bun is done when springs back when touched on top and knife comes out clean, may have to flip out and finish on top of plate, upside down. Time will be from 1 minute to 1 min 15 to 1 min 30 seconds in my microwave, but sometimes I use a big bowl and almost a cup of flour mix. Do not overmicrowave or it turns into a hockey puck. Recipe does not usually need xantham gum.

Some people use flax meal in this, I don't like it, so I use almond meal, amaranth, and sorghum, and go for a hearty taste with the molasses and cocoa/cumin. But this would also work with rice flour and the other more typical lighter flours. I just put 3 kinds of gluten-free flours or meals by thirds into a cup to get the amount wanted.

Sliced the other way, crosswise, it's a burger bun.

LauraBeth Rookie

Oooh I might have to try that. Reminds of the old microwave cake in a mug.

Mike7 Newbie

Awesome B) . Freshly made and gluten free, that is the way to go

EDIT: This could be oven-baked as well, if you want to make a bigger batch. I would preheat the oven to 375°F, and bake for around 15-25 min (12 buns) or until golden brown. You should keep an eye on them after the ten minute mark to make sure they don't burn. If you want, melt some Smart Balance in a bowl and coat them towards the end.

Archived