Hormone Imbalance With Gluten Sensitivity
Posted 05 March 2004 - 05:33 PM
I realize the hormonal imbalance complicates matters but I am treating the other conditions. So what I want to know is does anyone else have problems with food cravings? Mine seems to be worse in the afternoon and evenings. Like tonight, since it is Friday night I treat myself. Two pieces of gluten-free garlic toast and a western omelet for dinner. But then to offset my need for more carbs I snacked on salted sunflower seeds.
My husband, who is also on a gluten-free diet, doesn't have the daily cravings like I do.
Is this typical for gluten-free women?
Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:05 PM
I have always craved carbs and from what I understand our bodies need them for energy. I also think women especially crave them around that time of the month.
Here lately I have been craving sweets, I eat Skittles almost every day!!!
Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:28 AM
Infertility, obstetric and gynaecological problems in coeliac sprue.
Sher KS, Jayanthi V, Probert CS, Stewart CR, Mayberry JF.
Leicester General Hospital, UK.
There is now substantial evidence that coeliac sprue is associated with infertility both in men and women. In women it can also lead to delayed menarche, amenorrhoea, early menopause, recurrent abortions, and a reduced pregnancy rate. In men it can cause hypogonadism, immature secondary sex characteristics and reduce semen quality. The real mechanism by which coeliac sprue produces these changes is unclear, but factors such as malnutrition, iron, folate and zinc deficiencies have all been implicated. In addition in men gonadal dysfunction is believed to be due to reduced conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone caused by low levels of 5 alpha-reductase in coeliac sprue. This leads to derangement of the hypothalamic-pituitary axis. Hyperprolactinaemia is seen in 25% of coeliac patients, which causes impotence and loss of libido. Gluten withdrawal and correction of deficient dietary elements can lead to a return of fertility both in men and women.
Posted 07 March 2004 - 04:10 PM
What, if any, nutritional supplements do you take to meet your health needs?
Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:25 PM
Once I was diagnosed (Feb last year) and went gluten-free, my periods returned. It's nothing short of amazing...once I'd been gluten-free for 3 months, I had a period, first one in over a year (I'd have them maybe 1-2 every 2 years or so) and to my amazement, I had one again the following month, just 35 days later! Since then I've had them average 25-40 days apart.
I have suffered from infertility since our son was born but I'm wondering now if it's possible I might be able to have more children. I never thought I'd ever experience normal monthly cycles and here I am, having had 12 or so in a row!
My life has changed dramatically for the better since my diagnosis. I am convinced that had I gone on much longer w/out knowing the problem, I would have died w/in 5 years. I was terribly ill with everything under the sun and getting out of bed and facing each day was almost impossible.
I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder just before the celiac disease diagnosis. Although there really isn't any "proof," I *know* that being ill for so long with celiac disease caused me pyschological problems. I was a rapid cycler and everyone who knew me, thought I either only ran on hyper drive or extreme depression. I've not had a manic episode in well over 8 months now...that's a record. I was manic 90% of the time before going gluten-free, depressed the other 10%. My bouts of depression are all but gone and I'm hoping now to get the BP diagnosis removed/reversed.
So, in my opinion...celiac disease has everything to do with hormonal issues! I'm living proof :-)
Posted 08 March 2004 - 06:39 AM
Posted 08 March 2004 - 07:31 PM
How wonderful to hear such a positive turnaround for you! I agree that your psychological diagnosis is worth looking into or possibly changing.
Poor health has a lot to do with how we think and behave.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users