This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Emetrol Safe?

Grace'smom

Grace'smom Explorer

Hi there

My 6 yo had oral surgery today and is, seven hrs later, still vomiting, pale and having a terrible time. Her surgeon is aware of the celiac diagnosis, but told me on the phone tonight that she's most likely reacting so terribly becz of the GI complexities of celiac and not necessarily any contamination in surgery. That said, she was given multiple meds by IV including gen. anesthesia meds, an oral kids' size dose of a valium type med. pre-surgery, anti-naseau for the vomiting that began post-surgery, and a motrin-type medicine for the headache that came on after the surgery. I'm desperate to get her to feel better and wanted to give her Emetrol, but hrs later I am still trying to find out if Emetrol is gluten free. The customer service number is out till Monday and while I visited the Wellspring Pharmaceutical website for ingredients, they boast it is caffeine-free, alcohol-free, but no mention of gluten free. Past posts on this board are unclear, as I researched that too. Can anyone decipher the Emetrol ingredients I've put here or let me know if its safe to give her Emetrol? Ingredients include: Phosphorated carbohydrate solutioon, FD&C Red No. 40; cherry flavors. Cherry flavor ingredients: glycerin (flavoring ingredient), methylparaben and purified water. Is it the flavoring that is too cryptic?? If so, any other ideas to reduce naseau are appreciated. Emily

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

weluvgators Explorer

Big hugs, Mama! And some more hugs for Grace too! I don't have great ideas and no experience with Emetrol here. It sounds awful, and I hope that she feels better soon. We used heat packs for our daughter when she had total GI distress and shut down. She would lay there and hold them on her belly . . . I have no idea if it helped with nausea as that was not a primary complaint (but she was only 4 yo so not really articulating much). We had to stop everything oral for some time to get the vomiting to stop. We finally got her started back up on lemonade - homemade by me using fresh lemon, honey and sea salt. It is now our favorite drink for illness. I have considered applying medicines to my kids inner arm (some sensitive skin spot) to see if there is a skin reaction before ingestion, but I haven't felt compelled to try it out yet. I usually just give a dose and see how it goes. Sometimes it feels impossible to know about the gluten status of so many things, and it never helps to *need* to know in a crisis. I am so sorry you and she have to experience this!

Grace'smom Explorer

Big hugs, Mama! And some more hugs for Grace too! I don't have great ideas and no experience with Emetrol here. It sounds awful, and I hope that she feels better soon. We used heat packs for our daughter when she had total GI distress and shut down. She would lay there and hold them on her belly . . . I have no idea if it helped with nausea as that was not a primary complaint (but she was only 4 yo so not really articulating much). We had to stop everything oral for some time to get the vomiting to stop. We finally got her started back up on lemonade - homemade by me using fresh lemon, honey and sea salt. It is now our favorite drink for illness. I have considered applying medicines to my kids inner arm (some sensitive skin spot) to see if there is a skin reaction before ingestion, but I haven't felt compelled to try it out yet. I usually just give a dose and see how it goes. Sometimes it feels impossible to know about the gluten status of so many things, and it never helps to *need* to know in a crisis. I am so sorry you and she have to experience this!

Thank you...for some reason, its just all too much today and I finally had a meltdown seconds ago and cried from the bottom of my heart. I had to be up till about midnight researching and preparing for a massive school meeting today with all of the key players at her elementary school this afternoon; following her surgery. The meeting went fine, but my stress level is through the roof betweeen a sleepless night with little ones coming in the bed all night; Grace hasn't done well post-surgery with so much vomiting; and I'm so darn FRUSTRATED trying to get answers on gluten free meds...went throught he same thing last night when the realization that the Children's Motrin and Tylenol gluten free versions are still recalled and I'm standing there at the pharmacy trying to figure out which generic version is safe...and was supposed to be providing the school nurse with all of that today. Its just harder sometimes than others and today it's very hard. I wish I could just run out and grab some anti nausea med and give it to her so she'd feel better. The good news is, she's finally asleep, with a bucket beside her and I'm going to bed too and will pray she makes it all night and we can all get some needed rest. Sorry for all the venting. I am thankful for such nice friends in all of you who genuinely want to help and care. Hugs, Emily

Mizzo Enthusiast

I personally use ginger for my severe motion sickness. Ginger is a natural herb used for many stomach upset problems and is fairly safe. I take 2 capsule if you wanted you could try 1 to start and see if it helps. or even try tea add some lemon or honey for flavoring.

Peppermint is another all natural ingredient that eases upset stomach. If you have peppermint candy used with natural ingredients have her suck on a couple as well.

Also, I give my girl Tums as a placebo for when her belly hurts. Sometimes thinking something will help, actually does. :)

good luck

Archived