Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Part Of Plain Don't You Understand?

7 posts in this topic

Tonight we dined at a place that is mainly takeout but they do have some seats. It is near daughter's dance studio so that's why we went there. There are other places nearby but they are not options for us given our allergies. This place used to do a gluten-free teriyaki but they took it off the menu. Now the only gluten-free things are a balsamic chicken (daughter doesn't really like the sauce) and a hamburger patty (daughter doesn't really like that either). So I noticed a Cajum chicken breast as a special. It came with lettuce, tomato, cheese and maybe onion. Also fries. It also came on a bun which wasn't clear on the chalkboard. I did ask about the bun. Told the guy that all we wanted was a plain chicken breast and fries. Now there is normally a woman behind the counter on Fridays and she knows of daughter's wheat allergy so I'm sure she would have told us about the breading or at least questioned it. This guy has waited on us before and I did tell him of the wheat allergy. But today I thought I was being very clear.

The guy said something like, "So you want no toppings and no bun?" I told him that was correct. Just a plain chicken breast and the fries. So we were astounded when she got a breaded chicken breast, especially since they cook from scratch!

They did get us the correct thing. But I don't think we'll be dining there again. The meal for the two of us was almost $40 and my burger patty was raw in the middle. This is not the first time it has happened. I didn't even bother to send it back after the chicken fiasco.

I just think this place is better suited for people who do not have special diets. It's a very busy place!

Ads by Google:

Apparently, plain refers to a flat grassy geographical area!

Can not tell you how many times my not gluten-free son asks for a plain burger on the bun & still gets cheese or ketchup mustard pickles. When questioned, they say that is plain. .???

I hate that and I totally sympathize.

I've ordered chicken salads, told the waiter to leave off croutons and asked if the chicken can be made unseasoned because I have a wheat allergy. Want to guess how many times I've been served breaded chicken strips? Or even better they bring plain chicken but put those little Chinese noodles in the salad. Or put the whole damn salad in a deep-fried flour tortilla shell. I always end up asking "What part of wheat allergy did you not understand?"

Annoying yes! I went to a restaruant and ordered steamed asparagus. I told the waiter that I wanted it plain with absoutly nothing on it. Well, it came out with parsley flakes sprinkled all over it. Yes I know parsley is fine, but like you said "what part of plain don't you understand!" I started to eat it and found some unidentified brown little chunky thing on the plate so I refused to eat the rest of it. It's a good thing I always have something to snack on with me at all times.

Once on my daughter's birthday we took her to a restaurant where we regularly dined. It's no longer there. One waitress had food allergies and she was always good with our food. But on this day, the hostess took our order. Angela decided she wanted pork chops which we had never had there before. I asked if they were breaded and was told they were not. I did mention the wheat allergy.

When they came, they had a coating on them which I was told was just flour. To which I replied, "And flour is made of..."

I got a blank stare. I felt bad. I then ordered what she usually had.

Then to make matters worse, they kept trying to bring her something special. What could she have? Cake? Pie? A cookie? Ice cream? She was dairy allergic. Finally I asked if they had any fresh fruit or applesauce. They did have applesauce so they brought her that.

We went to a festival yesterday, only 2 vendors. So we got in line to get the potatoes and asked for a steak hoagie without the bun just put in the little styrofoam.

Both women repeated they couldn't do that. I kept saying I have "an allergy to wheat". No dice.

I mean how tough would it have been to put the same amount of meat into a container that they would have put onto bread. I'm actually saving them money by not getting the bread.

If I hadn't been so hungry, I would've walked away...but we had already walked over 2 miles and there wasn't anything else.... :(

Aargh.....

I don't get places/people either.

We went to a festival yesterday, only 2 vendors. So we got in line to get the potatoes and asked for a steak hoagie without the bun just put in the little styrofoam.

Both women repeated they couldn't do that. I kept saying I have "an allergy to wheat". No dice.

I mean how tough would it have been to put the same amount of meat into a container that they would have put onto bread. I'm actually saving them money by not getting the bread.

If I hadn't been so hungry, I would've walked away...but we had already walked over 2 miles and there wasn't anything else.... :(

Aargh.....

I don't get places/people either.

Yeah. A woman I know opened a sandwich place, which will remain nameless. But it is a chain. She is constantly going on about the bread and how good it is because they make it there. I don't think they actually make it from scratch. I think they get the dough frozen and then bake it. She has mentioned taking the frozen dough out of the freezer. She has also said that they make lettuce wrapped sandwiches but then she laughs and says she can't imagine why anyone would order it that way because the bread is the best part.

Daughter has begged me to take her to this place, but I won't. It's in another city that we have no reason to go to. They have nothing else on the menu besides the lettuce wrap that she could eat. Their chips are fried in peanut oil and daughter has a peanut allergy. This woman's kids (daughter dances with them) are always raving about how good the sandwiches are. But like the mom, they rave about the bread!