This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Crackerbarrel Resturant

bincongo

bincongo Contributor

I use to love going to Cracker Barrel resturant. Does anyone know if I went for only grits, bacon and eggs if it would be safe to eat them. I think their apples are ok too but I don't know about the grits.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

That place is always so busy and has so many gluteny delicious items, I don't think I would chance it. Maybe if you could find a non busy time as the workers have always been so nice.

Googled and found this. Not sure how old it is. Might try to email like this poster did.

http://(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned).com/Cracker_Barrel_Gluten_Free.html

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. We appreciate receiving your inquiry and we do understand your concern.

The following is a list of menu items that do not contain wheat, barley, or rye products as an ingredient(the modified food starch in the fried apples is from corn). However, we have an open kitchen where biscuits and dumplings are made from scratch several times daily. Many of our grill items do not contain glutens but are prepared on the same equipment as products that do. There is always a chance that cross-transference may occur.

Please inform a manager of your sensitivity when you visit one of our stores to ensure that every effort is made to prevent the accidental transfer of glutens via the handling and preparation of your meal.

Grill Items: grilled chicken tenders, hamburger steak, ribeye and sirloin steak, grilled catfish, grilled trout, grilled pork chops, country ham, city ham, bacon, eggs, pork sausage, turkey sausage

Side Items: carrots, cole slaw, corn, fried apples, green beans, mashed potatoes, baked potato, pinto beans, turnip greens

Excluding the fried chicken tender salad and chunky chicken (homemade chicken salad) salad, salads ordered without croutons would not contain glutens. See the ingredient statements below for our salad dressings choice.

The vinegars used in the salad refined distilled grain vinegars. According to the American Celiac Disease Alliance, "Distilled alcoholic beverages and vinegars are gluten-free. Distilled products do not contain any harmful gluten peptides. Research indicates that the gluten peptide is too large to carry over in the distillation process. This leaves the resultant liquid gluten-free."

Buttermilk Dressing: cultured buttermilk, soybean oil, water, egg yolk, distilled vinegar, salt, corn syrup, sugar, spices, lactic acid, xanthan gum, guar gum, onion*, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate added as preservatives, garlic*, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor. *DEHYDRATED

Peppercorn Dressing: soybean oil, water, sour cream solids, egg yolk, distilled vinegar, salt, spices, dehydrated garlic, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate added as preservatives, natural flavor, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.

Honey French Dressing: high fructrose corn syrup, soybean oil, corn-cider vinegar, distilled vinegar, tomato paste, salt, paprika, spices, xanthan gum, onion*, honey, invert sugar, beet juice concentrate, garlic*, natural flavor. *DEHYDRATED

Honey Mustard Dressing: soybean oil, water, high fructrose corn syrup, distilled vinegar, honey, egg yolk, mustard seed, sugar, salt, spice, white wine, natural flavor, xanthan gum, citric acid, tartartic acid, artificial color (including yellow #5), calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.

1000 Island Dressing: soybean oil, water, pickles, sugar, tomato paste, distilled vinegar, high fructrose corn syrup, egg yolk, salt, spice, sodium benzoate, and potassium sorbate added as preservatives, natural and artificial flavors, onion*, bell peppers, garlic*, calcium disodium EDTA to protect flavor, xanthan gum, guar gum, polysorbate 80. *DEHYDRATED

We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Sincerely,

Jason Hill

Guest Relations Representative

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc.

wjp Newbie

I use to love going to Cracker Barrel resturant. Does anyone know if I went for only grits, bacon and eggs if it would be safe to eat them. I think their apples are ok too but I don't know about the grits.

I just ate there today. I have eaten at Cracker Barrel many times since going gluten free 01/10. I have not been glutened so far. I always tell the waiter that I'm gluten free and I ask them to please tell the cook to be careful. I have had grilled pork chops, green beans, carrots, fried apples, grilled hamburger steak, sirlon steak, baked potatoes, eggs, bacon (haven't gotten the nerve to try the grits yet). Sometimes they even have the manager come over but they are so use to me coming about every other week that doesn't happen anymore. Good luck!

bincongo Contributor

I just ate there today. I have eaten at Cracker Barrel many times since going gluten free 01/10. I have not been glutened so far. I always tell the waiter that I'm gluten free and I ask them to please tell the cook to be careful. I have had grilled pork chops, green beans, carrots, fried apples, grilled hamburger steak, sirlon steak, baked potatoes, eggs, bacon (haven't gotten the nerve to try the grits yet). Sometimes they even have the manager come over but they are so use to me coming about every other week that doesn't happen anymore. Good luck!

That is nice to know. I like doing breakfast there and I love their grits. I know they weren't listed on their gluten free list but can't think of why grits would be off limits. I am a northerner turned southerner since being married to an Alabama guy.

psawyer Proficient

I have eaten the grits at Cracker Barrel without a problem a few times, but not in several years.

Archived