3 replies to this topic

#1 tbritt

tbritt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

I have been reading this message board for a little more than a week. I suspect that I have celiac and was just screened in a blood test by my new rheumatologist.

I have been suffering from strange illness that have come and gone all my life:
Age 7 - Anemia
Age 12 - Dizzy Spells
Age 13 - Seizures
Age 16 - Psoriasis/Eczema so bad it would crack and bleed
Age 17 - Low blood sugar
Age 18 - Acid Reflux/Ulcers/Vomiting
Age 20 - Low Thyroid
Age 21 - Epilepsy
Age 23 - Migraines
Age 25 - Good health but feeling tired all the time
Age 30 - Nausea, general malaise, shoulder and neck pain so bad after a viral infection that I can't even cope with it.

I have been in and out of the doctor this year for shoulder pain. I keep telling them I have a nausea all the time, but they won't listen. Because I am a violinist, they kept telling me that I just overdid it. The physical therapy doesn't seem to help. My body keeps telling me it's something more. They told me I had mono. I still think it's something more.

I have started the gluten free diet and my neck no longer feels as though something is attacking me. Swelling in my arm and shoulder have gone down to almost manageable.

If you have hope or insight, please share it with me. Basically, I am needing someone to tell me I can get better. I have so much hope that the solution could be in sight. How long might it take to get better? Has anyone else had shoulder and neck pain that eventually cleared. Do you think I might be better in a year? Six months? I am hoping that I will stop hurting so I can have my life back. (If I am a celiac at all.)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

I was also try cutting out other inflammatory foods such as soy, dairy and limited sugar intake until you begin to feel better. Are you taking a good multi vitamin? Low levels of some minerals and vitamins (such as B vitamins) can lead to this kind of pain. I take a liquid multi (isotonix) that has helped greatly. I also suffered from siatic pain in my 20's that is completely gone now.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#3 tbritt

tbritt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

The other weird thing about my condition of shoulder pain is that it has responded positively to an antibiotic (more than once). Sounds strange, but basically, I feel better (70 percent) when I took this antibiotic, but it gets worse again when I go off of it. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE THAT I HAVE AN INFECTION, THE DOCTOR JUST TRIED THE ANTIBIOTIC BECAUSE HE COULDN'T THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE.

Both times, the arm would swell when I would go off the antibiotic. But now that I'm off gluten, the swelling is not as much. Has anyone had experience of antibiotics being used as an anti-inflammatory for pain and swelling in your joints?

#4 schwzgrp

schwzgrp

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:07 AM

tbritt:

I read your posts regarding your symptoms and pain in shoulder and neck. I think you are on the right track of going gluten-free. I suggest a really good Dr that is well versed in gluten-free issues, as there are ALWAYS underlying issues with gluten intolerance that need to be addressed at the same time. I have had all the symptoms you describe above and many more for 45 years. I'm day 31 of gluten-free. My arm/shoulder/neck pain started dissappearing slowly and continues to dissappear. I'm also on lots of supplements which are helping address my other problems as well. It can be a slow process and it has to be a faithful project or you won't get better. Do your homework, and educate yourself.

This forum and this website are handy tools and certainly great re-enforcement. Hang in there and good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: